iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Detroit Alarm Clock

Started by Bert, July 28, 2016, 06:33:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bert

Im currently cutting on a mountain top above a rural road with probably 20 homes within 4 miles. I went to a picnic the other day that several of these residents attended. One thing led to another and pretty soon everyone knew I was the guy with that screaming skidder on top of the mountain. Most were polite about a guy trying to make  a living, several looked at it as nostalgia and appreciated the sound of a Detroit diesel working, and a few were a little upset they couldn't sleep past 7:30 am.  :)
Saw you tomorrow!

jmouton

hey Bert  i thought you were talking about gun shots that wake you up in the morning in detroit,mich, and then i read your post , now i get it ,,

jim
lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

danbuendgen

Dude, I know all about that issue. Lots of people don't understand. I hate jobs near houses big time! I'm told my 240 can be heard for miles... Supposedly.
I was on a job once working the weekend, and had a neighboring landowner tell me "go home, it's my weekend off and I can't relax with all this noise!" I told the guy that I would love to be able to take the weekend off but I had to work. If the weather is good, I'm logging. Can't afford not too. I told the guy if he paid me for my time and equipment time I would gladly go home and enjoy the weekend off. He didn't like that idea so much. So the Detroit kept screaming!
Trouble is, those are the people that sabotage equipment when your not looking.
Husqvarna ~ TimberJack ~ Dodge Cummins

millcreek40

I have two 240 a skidders  one has a deutz & the other one has a 453 detroit  I like the deutz as its much quiter but man is it hot in the summer. I think the 453 has more power or maybe it just sounds like it  lol
Two 240A Timberjacks, Mack log truck, Multitek 2040 wood processor.

lynde37avery

I had a job last year that the neighbor made rules and forced the land owner to abide. so I couldn't log there on weekends. you don't know how bad that screws up my business. he didn't care.  hes some rich jerk from The city. that made me have to get there early and scream that detroit up thru the woods.
Detroit WHAT?

ehp

Just put a muffler on it setup like a clark or a later timberjack and end of the noise , I used a muffler that was made to fit a DT 466

danbuendgen

Quote from: ehp on July 29, 2016, 06:50:01 AM
Just put a muffler on it
But then it won't sound good...

Just kidding. I put a muffler on mine, I guess it helps. But if I'm chopping for it, I like it LOUD. I like to hear exactly where my skidder is at all times. Plus I don't want it seeking up on me if I need to drop a tree in the trail.

Ken

A few years back you could not go out the door of the house without hearing a Detroit working somewhere in the neighborhood.  Not so much anymore.  My harvester operator has a habit of leaving his feet resting on the drive pedals therefore the beeper goes all day long.  He starts about 4 in the morning so I'm sure there have been a few less than impressed neighbors.  That sound really travels especially on a clear night
Lots of toys for working in the bush

timberlinetree

I put an extra large muffler on on ours. Don't think it helps that much. ???
It's always nice when a bad storm is approaching from the west and a cute girl coming from the east. Thinking she might be worried about my safety ???,only to get yelled at for making to much noise and she couldn't enjoy her wine :-\.
When a father's daughter was just back from 911( saw some bad stuff) and having a ruff time ask me to shut down I couldn't say no. Went right home.
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

Corley5

My old Franklin's 3-53 can be heard very well at my house which is a mile+ from the job.  It's got a muffler but I have no idea what's left inside it ;) ;D 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

danbuendgen

Quote from: timberlinetree on July 29, 2016, 07:14:59 AM
I put an extra large muffler on on ours. Don't think it helps that much.

This was my experience, it does something. But no matter the muffler size, a Detroit is still loud.

Ed_K

I have heard that if you change the air intake setup will do more for quieting down a dd. I haven't researched it, I have a dd466 muffler on my 4-53 it must be a little better cause I don't need ear plugs under the earmuffs  ;D .
Ed K

petefrom bearswamp

I thought I had posted this morning but didnt get in
When i was consulting, and had a job when the logger was using a Detroit, I could get to the header and tell which skid trail to go down to visit him.
I loved it.
Saved a lot of steps
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

treeslayer2003

Ed is correct, its the blower you can't shut up. there was a silencer used on stationary units that worked well, but much to bulky for a skidder.

BEEMERS

I had a man confront me today about runnin 50 mph in a 25 mph subdivision.I was 30 ..0r 29  but with an  8v92 Detroit ..these folk have never heard this before..they hear me coming and the sound makes them  think hell is coming down the road I'm at 25...all the way maybe 28 tops..but ..how can you explain..it ... if you wanted to?

motohed

I have had machines with the detroit , they worked well , and were pretty easy to work on , I would usually let a professional set the injecter rack , That was just faster and easyier . That being said , I don't miss the noise .

Bert

Quotethey hear me coming and the sound makes them  think hell is coming down the road

:D :D

From an operator side of things in a skidder the noise isnt so bad. I wear Worktunes headphones and I can still make out most of the songs on the radio. smiley_guitarist
Saw you tomorrow!

chevytaHOE5674

I used to enjoy a nice loud screaming diesel (had straight pipes on a few of my tractors, dump truck, etc). Now after I've been doing it a little longer I enjoy the quieter exhaust and cabs. When I'm 70 years old I'd still like to be able to hear. Also like being able to have the equipment working away outside and not be able to hear it in the house (really helps with pesky neighbors). Two nights last week the wife and I mowed hay until 2am on a couple fields with neighbors close by, apologized to them the next day and all said "no big deal with the windows closed in the house they couldn't even hear the tractors running".

Gearbox

Like chevytahoe says better save your money if you like them loud . New hearing aids that work well are $ 8000.00 or more by the time you need them .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

1270d

I have a hard time understanding why you would want equipment to be loud.   I enjoy pretty good hearing and would like to for years to come.   The more quiet the better.    Ideally hydraulic hum would be the only thing heard.   Sacrificing production because of noise wouldn't fly but I would choose something quieter than a DD.

1270d

The cooling fans are the noisiest thing on most of our equipment now.   When they reverse it is deafening.   When they aren't turning at all in very cold weather the machines are incredibly quiet.

nhlogga

My  great uncle had a old morbark chipper with a 12cyl detroit with dual straight pipes. Broke the noise ordinance 5mi away. Town shut him down till he put mufflers on it
Jonsered 2260
Husky 562xp

Spartan

Quote from: 1270d on July 30, 2016, 06:35:42 PM
I have a hard time understanding why you would want equipment to be loud.   I enjoy pretty good hearing and would like to for years to come.   The more quiet the better.    Ideally hydraulic hum would be the only thing heard.   Sacrificing production because of noise wouldn't fly but I would choose something quieter than a DD.

Well I will say this.

I have a detroit 4-53 and really would have liked something else.  However, on a budget most of the machines I could afford were older.  So...  A detroit was about all I had to pick from at the time.  I have tried to make it quieter in vain.  Most of the noise now is engine bay noise to the tune of 80+ decibles in the cab.  There are times that it is cool to kind of have a race car sound.  But 90% of it for me is just loud.  starts taking its toll after about 6 hrs and thats with hearing protection.  I do love how simple they are...
Hate the injector line setup in the valve cover though.

HiTech

We were cutting on an area that was a hunting club. They would not let us cut on weekends as they said the skidders and saws running scared all the deer away. lol Never saw deer that wasn't enticed to an area where logging was going on. Though these people were all educated and knew exactly how deer reacted to loud noise and machinery.You have to take the good with the bad. Every Monday morning when we fired up the deer would come and visit us. lol I have felled soft maple and before I could top them out the deer where in there eating the buds. They have big buds and the deer love them. Try telling that to some of those weekend hunters. 

thecfarm

HiTech,how right you are. I see more deer on my tractor than when I'm walking. You right about the deer coming out to feed. I told my stepson that and he really did not believe me. I was cutting a bog off on my land. I would twitch it out to the yard,about 500 feet away. Just drop it and go back for more. By the time I got back to the bog the deer would be there feeding. He came down to see me and could not believe the deer was there. They really did not want to leave when I came back.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!