iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Solar Pond Aeration Anyone?

Started by Jason_AliceMae Farms, July 28, 2016, 05:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason_AliceMae Farms

So I haven't posted in a LONG time but have still been trying to get my fill in of the forum when work affords me some downtime.

Anyway, wanted to see if anyone out there has installed or has any experience with a solar pond aeration setup?  I have 4 ponds on the property each are around 0.25 acres and anywhere from 10 to 15 feet deep.  I am having the cattails cleaned out and the ponds dredged and that work will probably be done within the week.  Given the money spent on getting them cleaned up and no flowing water into the ponds via a stream I would like to add some aeration to help maintain a healthier pond, fish, and other wildlife.

I am considering slowly piecing together a small solar aeration setup with solar panels, charge controller, 12V batteries, DC to AC Inverter, and a linear air compressor.  Anyone out there tried this before or have any experience?  I do not have power close and do not plan on running power or airlines over 1/2 mile to the ponds.  Thank you in advance for the input and opinions.
Watching over 90 acres of the earth with 50 acres being forest.

Someday I would like to be able to say that I left thes 90 acres healthier than when I started watching over them.

LaneC

No experience with that whatsoever, but just for thought, instead of all those things mentioned, you could possibly use the time honored windmill. It may not even be close to what you need, but just a thought.
Man makes plans and God smiles

Onthesauk

I knew a fellow who did it for a duck pond up in central Washington, owned property up there and used it for duck hinting.  Needed to keep it free of ice late in the season.  Same situation, too far for power and apparently worked until it really got cold.  And yes, the first thing he had looked at was a windmill.  Solar was easier but tech has changed over the years.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

DelawhereJoe

You could try using a high volume air blower and run into the ponds via 1.5 or 2" pvc, you would just need the solar power the blower motor.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Jason_AliceMae Farms

I considered a windmill early on but I ruled that out given the costs and then when I do have to do maintenance I would have to climb up there.  While climbing is not a problem now I don't want to have to bother with it down the road.

I have found some decent little septic aerator pumps that are meant for continuous duty so I am slowly going down that path to price it all out.  Solar panels, charge controller, 2 deep cycle batteries, DC to AC inverter, septic aerator pump, and then air line along with the diffuser.  I am comfortable with making that work (I think) but always nice having a second set of eyes.
Watching over 90 acres of the earth with 50 acres being forest.

Someday I would like to be able to say that I left thes 90 acres healthier than when I started watching over them.

Czech_Made

Following, you have quite the interesting problem.    I had this vision of an air tank located by the pond that you fill up once a week and leave leaking into the water, but I think simple volume calculations would show it as a unrealistic idea.

There is a good Pond Boss Forum, if you dont know it yet.

With my pond I am lucky enough to have electrical power close, I run Thomas vacuum pump + diffuser at night and fountain - to make my wife happy - in the day.

I started with just the fountain, but in July-August I would usually lose the biggest catfish, the vacuum pump works much better.

Good luck  :)

DelawhereJoe

Just remember that the water volume in the pipe would have to be pushed out by the volume of air after the batteries run dead. Clearing pool lines for winterizing on deep pool can't be done with most shop vacs, they just don't have the pressure to push the water from the lines....and air filled pvc pipe will float too. Septic tanks aren't deep enough to really test most blowers either.

DelawhereJoe

A simple chech valve should solve the problem tho, and a few bags of concere would keep the pvc/poly on the bottom. You just gotta find the right blower.

Ianab

Local waste water plant uses big oxidation ponds. To aerate those they just have come big wheels, like a small paddle steamer, on the side of the pond. This splashes the water and creates a circulation current around the pond.

Something like that would be relatively easy to rig up and solar power. Do you even need it to run 24/7? Would just giving the pond a bit of a "stir" for 8 hours each day keep the oxygen level up enough?

From my aquarium research water movement is more important than just bubbles for aeration. If course bubbles do work, and they create that water movement that brings new water up to the surface where it can pick up oxygen, and then circulate around the pond / tank. And breaking the surface tension also seems to help. But simply moving the water with a pump is also an option.

Just thinking it may be more efficient to move / splash the water directly, rather than taking the intermediate process of moving air, and using air to move the water?
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

John Mc

I use an electrically driven compressor to aerate my 1/4 acre pond. My neighbor uses the same compressor, but drives it with a windmill. Both work well - my pond is too sheltered for the windmill to work, his is too far from electric power.

Check out the Koenders Water Solutions web site for ideas. If your ponds are close to each other, the compressor can feed more than one diffuser.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Thank You Sponsors!