iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Best string trimmer line?

Started by John Mc, July 28, 2016, 01:03:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Mc

I'm curious if those of you who use a string trimmer have a recommendation on the best line to use with it. Our trimmer takes an .095" line. It's mostly used on grass (much of it old and overgrown by the time we get to it). Occasionally, we're pushing it and using it on stuff slightly heavier than grass. (I do have a brush clearing saw that I use for the brushy stuff and for saplings).

We just seem to be going through line a quite a clip when we do use it. I'm wondering if different styles or manufacturers make stuff that lasts longer. Our last roll was by Husqvarna, so it's not like we were using the cheapest stuff you can find.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

pine

I have Stihl equipement and thus tend to use Stihl products.  I used an Oregon line that was highly recommended 5 years ago and thought it was horrible and could not wait to run out of it.  It broke so frequently that it did not take long.
I use the Stihl X-Line .  Mostly use .105 but have used .095.  Overall very happy with the product.

http://www.stihlusa.com/products/trimmers-and-brushcutters/accessories/trimmer-line/xline/

gspren

Trimmer line like fishing line deteriorates in light so try to buy fresh line and store it out of the light.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

21incher

I use the Echo line and it seems to cut good, but doesn't last long in the heavy stuff. I picked up a 3 wing blade that I use for all the thick grass and pond reeds. It works great if you do not have alot of rocks mixed in. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

drobertson

From what I have experienced most all is pretty close to the same, found that soaking in water helps quite a bit before using.,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

sawguy21

That keeps it soft and pliable, once it dries out it becomes hard and brittle. I use the Echo Crossfire .095 and have been very happy with it. It lasts longer than the round line and is more aggressive.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

kensfarm

W/ a little drilling you can use the .105 instead of the .095.. or just sharpen the line end so it will fit in the winding start hole.  I like the echo crossfire too. 

Brad_bb

I have a Shindiawa trimmer.  I cut about 5 arm span lengths of line and fold it in half to find the middle and feed one half through the spool.  The little plastic loops you feed the line through on the spool I've noticed can be damaged by certain line.  I tried the line that is triangular shaped - 3 sharp edges, and that seems to beat up my spool loops more (I'm not talking about the metal eyelets on the diameter of the head, but rather the loops on the spool that hold the first bit of line when you start winding it.)  Anymore I stick to more round line.  I've bought the orange Stihl line and it works fine.  It's got a little embossed texture on the diameter of the line, but doesn't' seem to be hurting my spool.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Thank You Sponsors!