iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

thick black smoke

Started by furltech, July 27, 2016, 03:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

furltech

Well it seems like everything breaks at once .John deere 440 c again, just started pouring thick black smoke and overheating under load ..checked all fluids they look good water pump had bad bearings took it off and rebuild .So is next step turbo .This seems to be the consensus here, but i thought i would ask the vast knowledge base on the forum before i went and started tearing it out tomorrow .When it is idling it just purrs and other than the unbelievable cloud of black  smoke it seems to run fine .i already changed the air filters also .

danbuendgen

Thick black smoke, means more fuel then air, so I would also think possible bad turbo. I would check it with a boost gauge before taking it out. If you have it wide open under load, it should make boost. Not sure how much for that turbo, but I would guess 20+ pounds for sure. Or you could have a bad injector, letting too much fuel in. But I would think turbo before that. I bet you those turbo bolts are seized in big time.... HAVE FUN with that project!
Husqvarna ~ TimberJack ~ Dodge Cummins

furltech

yes they surely do looked seized ,the heads are gone looks like rivets holding it together. :D

Ed_K

Pull the turbo, and look at the vanes. If their not scored up you should get some money back on the core. I changed one in a 540 b it's not hard except for the exahast bolts, i didn't get a core return cause the op kept running it till it quit.
Ed K

Ox

We had a farm tractor do that years ago.  Same symptoms, except no overheating that I remember.  Lots of black smoke, no power.  It was the turbo that went bad.  This was on a Ford 9000.  Maybe this will calm your angst a little?  I wish you luck with this repair.  :)
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

furltech

Well going to pull it in the morning i am glad there will be lots of flies and sunshine to help out .Skidder op is just a pup so he should learn some new words tomorrow  8)

Woodhauler

Check air filter???? Hot dry dusty means plugged filter!
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

treeslayer2003

pull the air and exhaust tubes first so you can inspect the wheels. if they wore bad or both wheels don't turn together you found the problem.

furltech

Ok will do that .air filters only have one snig on them first thing i tried .lol they were dirty but not too bad but i put new in anyway .

coxy

try and run it with the filters/filter off not making a skid of course just at the landing or take the air tube off where it fastens to the turbo coming off the air cleaner I had the rubber hose suck together between the filter and turbo it was supper soft  mat not be the trouble but worth a shot would save a lot of time and money  and a few choice words  :D :D  all of the turbos that went bad on me would push lots of motor oil out of the stack

HiTech

I have seen turbos go bad but the smoke was bluish white. Black I would say is too much fuel.

Ox

Turbos can fail in a couple different ways.  If all of a sudden the smoke is black, yes it means too much fuel/lack of air.  Which means the turbo isn't spinning or isn't spinning fast enough (or blades are broken) to pump enough air into the engine to give the right fuel/air mixture.  Or something has restricted the intake.  If the smoke turns white/blue/gray it means the oil seal or seals have failed allowing engine oil to be pumped through the can into the cylinders.  This can also create a runaway condition.  In the tractor I remember doing this, one of the turbo bearings seized up causing the turbo to not spin causing the over rich condition.  Think of it this way - when someone adds a turbo to an engine that didn't originally have it, they have to turn up the fuel delivery rates to compensate for the now overly lean condition.  This is where the extra power comes from.  Really neat technology and I wish I was there when they first started messing around with this stuff.
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Corley5

Check for air leaks between the turbo and the engine.  Rubber boots, cracked intake manifold etc.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

furltech

well after digging around i found my problem not sure how i missed it the other day but the turbo was broke right off .lol oh well new one in truck for tomorrow and john deere just called said they broke the housing on my water pump, when i asked what they wanted to do about that they said oh so it is going to be that way .i agreed to meet them half way .man parts are costly on this rig .

danbuendgen

Quote from: furltech on July 28, 2016, 04:05:41 PM
parts are costly on this rig .

That's why I run a 240 Timberjack. Lots of good quality aftermarket parts readily available. I used to have a JD 540B, parts were painfully expensive, and little to no aftermarket parts for those. JD patented nearly everything. Good running skidders though. And JD makes a great winch.
Husqvarna ~ TimberJack ~ Dodge Cummins

Oliver05262

Glad the dealer agreed to meet you half way on the water pump housing. Some of the pumps can be a bear, but usually if the tech knows how to set it up (not all are put together the same) and knows what to look for (yours should have a cartridge bearing & shaft which is easy compared to some which have a snap ring hidden under the outer seal which you see when you get the pulley off) they can be taken apart, cleaned up, and rebuilt in an hour or so.
Oliver Durand
"You can't do wrong by doing good"
It's OK to cry.
I never did say goodby to my invisible friend.
"I woke up still not dead again today" Willy
Don't use force-get a bigger hammer.

furltech

Thanks guys for the help and ideas worked good today .replaced turbo and water pump so hopefully we get a couple of weeks running .

coxy

don't count your chicks before they hatch  :D :D :D hope it runs more than a few weeks

furltech

i hear ya i was just being hopefull😊

Ox

You will have no problems with it for a long time now.  Well done on the repairs.

Ed_K

furltech, how long did it smoke after getting it started? When I change the turbo on the 540 it seem like it would never stop. I stopped several time cause I thought it was on fire in the muffler.
Ed K

furltech

I am not sure i understand but it didnt smoke very much after being fired back up .everything was thick with carbon though. you cant touch anything without getting covered in it .

Ed_K

On my go round with the turbo it dumped 1/2 the engine oil thru and into the muffler. I left muffler on end over night to dumped most of it out but it still smoked real bad at startup. I'll bet the guy that bought it is still wiping black oil of the hood  ;D  >:( .
Ed K

furltech

I did not have any oil issues mine actually broke right around the casting like someone was standing on it .not sure what happened .

coxy

you got lucky it was just running real rich  my 518 push almost 5 gal of oil out of it before I got it shut down what a mess I left the muffler on end to but also put charcoal lighter fluid in and burnt it out that way to not 100% but about 98% hope you don't have anymore issues with it for a long time

Thank You Sponsors!