iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My truck troubles!!!

Started by Woodhauler, July 27, 2016, 03:18:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodhauler

Started with lack of throttle, Changed throttle postion sensor, Went perfect for 2 loads this morning till it got hot out! Now ot has very little throttle and check engine light is on. It is now at the western star dealer in one of there 110.00 $ a hour stalls while they try to figure it out :'(
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

Dave Shepard

Hopefully the CEL will give them a code. With all the electronics in vehicles today, you would think diagnostics would be more of a sure thing. What engine?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Woodhauler

600 cummins isx, they say wiring harness has to come out from firewall to ecm
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

mad murdock

those darn electrical gremlins can be a pain to track down.  Probably be better to have a new harness anyway.  How old is the truck? 
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

treeslayer2003

i'm gonna get rid of my n14 for this very reason. i have no codes, they say its fine. but it will still do it at the worst time. good luck sir, i had enough of it.

motohed

Man , I hate this new fly by wire junk , give me old school mechanical , alas most anything remotely mechanical , is all but gone and forgotten . LOL  Now we have to deal with it just keep a good eye out at what they fix so if it happens again you may have a clue for next time . I had and ECM go 3 monthes ago on a 2008 and it went again today . It better be cover for atleast for sslightly less athan 3 mounthes . UGH ! I could fix it , but the scan tools and computer programing is so expensive too own , it's just not worth it for one unit .

s grinder

Seeing it threw a code,should be easy to diagnose ,might be just a sensor.Sounds like it went into Limp Home Mode. Does it have a DPF and Exhaust Fluid system?Has it been regening?

motohed

Quote from: s grinder on July 27, 2016, 07:55:54 PM
Seeing it threw a code,should be easy to diagnose ,might be just a sensor.Sounds like it went into Limp Home Mode. Does it have a DPF and Exhaust Fluid system?Has it been regening?
Thats a good point , I was just thinking the same thing , I hope the stuff I have , will last as long as I want to do this real world work stuff . Between the DOT and other law inforcement , I do my best to keep things up , but you can always catch one thats not happy , and he will go out of his way to make life miserable , even with a brand new truck .

Woodhauler

If you go to original post, the code was TPS sensor. Changed that and it worked till it got hot. That's when it lost signal from ecm again. Mechanic says its a broken wire that loses contact when it gets super hot.

timberlinetree

Hope your back on the road soon! Good luck with the fix!
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

s grinder

Good luck,hope they can repair the wire,rather than replace the harness.If the tech/mechanic goes down the diagnostic tree in the computer should find the wires from the ecm to the tps,run a ohm meter and find the bad wire.Seems weird once it gets hot it happens,could be a oxidized wire.

Ed_K

My son works on wiring harness's for the construction industry using GPS for grading purpose's. He told of how they build these, the wire is super small with a light plastic coat the each is wrapped with a foil, the wire gets hot and the foil mutiplies the heat. If the coating melts the electicity can follow the foil and make a mess else where. His reaction is rip out the whole harness and replace it. Said he tried to repair a couple later on and gave up :( .
Ed K

barbender

I hate wiring issues on the new stuff. Actually, I hate wiring issues on old stuff too :) I like to be self sufficient  and fix everything I can myself, but on the Ponsse forwarder I operate, when there is a wiring issue I call Ponsse. Locating intermittent shorts in harnesses is just not my cup of tea.
Too many irons in the fire

Woodhauler

Got it back around noon yesterday.  I had to stop them from tearing into the engine harness and try the obvious first! Change the harness from foot feed to firewall plug. Mechanic was 99% sure it was under the hood, I wasn't!!!  Low and behold I was right!!! They had harness half off motor when I made them put it back.

treeslayer2003

Quote from: Woodhauler on July 29, 2016, 06:24:19 PM
Got it back around noon yesterday.  I had to stop them from tearing into the engine harness and try the obvious first! Change the harness from foot feed to firewall plug. Mechanic was 99% sure it was under the hood, I wasn't!!!  Low and behold I was right!!! They had harness half off motor when I made them put it back.
yeah, i can't find that for a ford, bet its the problem. since i got the old freight shaker in the shop, the ford has not acted up lol.

Thank You Sponsors!