iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ambrosia Maple Logs to Lumber

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, July 25, 2016, 09:18:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Not gonna blow my whistle to loud but I have about 600 bf of this Ambrosia Maple.
I'm sawing it into Farm Table Kits.
2 inch slabs x 13 inches wide...
1-1/4 x 4, 6 and 8 inch widths
......and 4 x 4 turning legs for the customer's lathe.

I tend to get a little more when a kit is sawn. Everything you need already sawn.  :)

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

scully

I like it ! I have a couple logs waiting for me like that now I know what to expect !
I bleed orange  .

WDH

Fantastic!  That is the way to do it.  Having it all ready in a kit should be a real $ value adder.  You might add a simple set of plans on how to build it as many woodworkers do not have a lot of experience with tables.  Another thought is to build one as a prototype that you can show customers or have a picture available to send them or post with an ad like on Craigslist.  Hey, even better, I will build the prototype for you for $1000  :D :D :D.

I am really liking your approach, and that ambrosia maple really makes a statement.  That ain't yore Grandaddy's pine.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

petefrom bearswamp

Im thinking it is a good project, but look out for sticker stain.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

WDH

I would definitely put some fans blowing on the stack.  Now.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on July 25, 2016, 09:31:22 PM
  Hey, even better, I will build the prototype for you for $1000  :D :D :D.

$1050 and you got a deal.  ;D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on July 25, 2016, 09:54:54 PM
Im thinking it is a good project, but look out for sticker stain.

I hope I don't get sticker stain with 3 year old dried Pine stickers.
I did use some of the Maple for 2 x 3's. May get some stain there. Good point Pete.

WDH

You really do need a fan or two.  You will get sticker stain on maple in this heat I suspect, no matter high dry the stickers  :)

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on July 25, 2016, 10:05:29 PM
You really do need a fan or two.  You will get sticker stain on maple in this heat I suspect, no matter high dry the stickers  :).

I'll have my POWER BOX AND FAN working by 7 am in the morning.
Good point Pete Danny.  :)

SCSawyer

Nice ! , There's some pics somewhere in my album of a kitchen floor a sawed out of this.
Silas S. Roberts , Bluff Mtn. Timber

YellowHammer

Quote from: WDH on July 25, 2016, 10:05:29 PM
You really do need a fan or two.  You will get sticker stain on maple in this heat I suspect, no matter high dry the stickers  :).
:D smiley_thumbsup
Put the fans to it.

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Good point Pete, Danny, YellowHammer.  :)

OffGrid973

Love that ambrosia.  Heard about "tap" maple which is same concept but caused by the maple sugar taps instead of bugs nesting. Ever get your hands on that?
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

ozarkgem

I have not sawed any Maple. Is it hard or soft Maple? Very little hard Maple here. But I do like it.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

Seaman

Did anybody mention you need fans ?
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

tnaz

red

Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

petefrom bearswamp

When I saw and sticker maple, i usually first stand it up against the side of my building for 3 4 days to let the surface dry, then sticker.
Another method i have heard used is sticker for again 3-4 days the re stack moving the stickers slightly to fresh wood.
I thinkk the fans may work also.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

customsawyer

I think you need to put some fans on it NOW. I would also put some stickers under your leg stock and the top layer of 2X material or it will stain there. You may not need to worry about any stain as I hear some people charge extra for it.  ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Now hush Y'all.  :D :D :D :D

Ohio_Bill

Sure am glad you got some fans on that wood .
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

Larry

Sure are little fans ;D

Yellowhammer has big fans :)
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Larry on July 26, 2016, 09:34:08 PM
Sure are little fans ;D

Kiss My Grits Larry.  :D :D :D :D

Its little lumber.  :D

OffGrid973

Never thought fans could be such a funny topic.  On a serious note is it just because of recent heat or does maple require more circulation vs other species to properly dry?
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

YellowHammer

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on July 26, 2016, 10:11:30 PM
Quote from: Larry on July 26, 2016, 09:34:08 PM
Sure are little fans ;D

Kiss My Grits Larry.  :D :D :D :D

Its little lumber.  :D

Ah, those fans are cute!  :laugh:

Quote from: cwimer973 on July 26, 2016, 10:17:25 PM
Never thought fans could be such a funny topic.  On a serious note is it just because of recent heat or does maple require more circulation vs other species to properly dry?
Maple, like some other white woods, needs to dry very quickly to avoid sticker stain.  Luckily, these types of wood can handle the rapid moisture loss without damage.  Typically, for these types of wood, it's preferable to have 650 fpm air blowing through the stacks for a week or two, to get a large moisture drop in the wood whereas oak should be down in the 250 to 150 fpm range.  The prevalent sticker stain for this type of wood is enzymatic stain, and happens when the wood is hot and wet, and causes it to turn gray very quickly, in a matter of hours in extreme situations, especially under the stickers where it can't evaporate.  The stain will penetrate deep into the wood and not plane out.  It's happened to me and it's a bad and expensive day to get the dreaded zebra wood.  The fans blowing over the stack evaporates the surface moisture and also causes evaporative cooling.  Even on a hot summer 100° day, the air coming out of the stacks will be cool.  A good example, although not exactly the same, is eating an apple in the summertime.  Take a bite, and very quickly it will turn gray in the summer heat and humidity.  These types if wood behave much the same way.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Thank You Sponsors!