iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Yellow wood

Started by cliffreaves, July 25, 2016, 02:14:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cliffreaves

There's only one tree in middle Tennessee that I can think of that looks like this:

Unless you guys can think of any other possibilities...

Magicman

Bois D'Arc, osage orange, horse apple, bow wood, bodoc, hedge, and many other names.  LINK
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

cliffreaves

That was my thought, but I only have the stump to go by for now.   My father in law drug the tree to a ditch somewhere.  I'll go fish it out next week.  Is a yellowwood tree something different or is that just another name for osage orange?

bluthum

Yellow wood is  a common name for Cladrastris lutea. Boi' darc is  Maclura pomifera, they are not even vaguely the same. Yellow wood is extremely rare here in the Ozarks but I think it is more common in the eastern part of it's range. I have no idea about your locale but that does bear a strong resemblance to yellow wood. It is a fine cabinet wood but obviously good boards are rare. Yellow wood or osage orange, either way I would salvage it best I could, very cool woods.   

DelawhereJoe

Osage orange, at least around here, has a completely different bark color then the dark gray bark in your pic.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

cliffreaves

I searched through my wooden pile and luckily found the stump cutoff. The last picture has some mineral oil and beeswax on it.  Perhaps this can shed light on it...

Al_Smith

I think that white splotch could indicate mulberry .It has a milky white sticky sap .

cliffreaves

I don't know if you can see it very well in the first picture, but there is a lot of sap that surfaced when it was cut initially.   I also cut a wild black cherry the same day and it did the same thing.  The sap was clear looking and very gooey.   Then after a week or so, it hardened.   The tree was about 35'high and the first limbs were at about 20'.  At the widest part of its base it's about  12".  I didn't get a chance to look at the leaves because it was drug off before I could stop him.  I did catch him before he took the cherry and the box elder though.  He just wanted a path clear for his tractor and I just wanted the wood lol.

Magicman

This could be a learning experience.  :P  Trees other than what grows in my locale are always interesting.  LINK  I see that it is also called gopherwood?  Maybe we should build an ark. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

It is persimmon.  See the black inclusions in the first pic?  Also, fresh cut persimmon is yellow like that, but the color changes as the wood is exposed to air and begins to dry.  You can see that in your stump pic.  Also, the bark is the right color, and it can be knobby, looks a bit like alligator hide. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

bucknwfl

Persimmon and mulberry have very beautiful yellow hue when first cut and then dry to a drab brown.  I was quite disappointed the first time I realized that

Buck
If it was easy everybody would be doing it

cliffreaves

I can't really argue with any of the theories here. Strong cases for osage orange, yellowwood, mulberry, and persimmon.   Hopefully when I fetch the tree, there'll be some leaves on it.  Either way, the wood is pretty.   I hope it dries yellow.  The plot thickens, dun, dun, dunnnn...

mesquite buckeye

To me the bark doesn't look right for persimmon.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

WDH

Oh yea of little faith...........

It is persimmon.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

doctorb

I have a planted Cladrastis kentukea in my front yard and have no intention of checking the color of its wood.  It has grown well in its locale and when it blooms, it's really, really something.  Does not bloom every year.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

OneWithWood

Persimmon wood is very, very hard.  The drab brown wood looks outstanding if finished properly.  Many old golf drivers were made of persimmon.
The bark of the persimmon trees on my property are very different than the bark in reply #5. 
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

WDH

Oh yea of little faith.....

I will stand vindicated  :)

ellmoe

Not that he needs the help, but I'm with Danny on this!  ;D
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

WDH

The dark black bark is correct  :)

mesquite buckeye

When we milled up a persimmon the wood wasn't nearly that yellow, more creamy yellowy greeny sorta. :(

I've only seen one yellow wood tree and never the wood and that was 40 years ago...
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

cliffreaves

Potentially I cut down an extremely rare tree out of ignorance. 🤔 if that's the case, I'll plant a couple yellowwoods in its honor. I believe they're easy to buy around here nowadays.   I tend to defer to experience and these matters, but some of you experienced guys are not on the same page for this one.  Sadly, it may be another couple weeks before I get back to the farm.

WDH

Don't listen to them.  Persimmon is only yellow when fresh cut, just like yours  :).  It changes to a creamy light brownish pretty quickly.  The black nodes and black inclusions in the wood are distinctive.  The black. fissured, knobby bark is too. 

curdog

Definitely persimmon, I got stumped on a slice of persimmon a couple of years ago until I asked to look at the log it was cut off of and found the leaves. It was that same bright yellow color.

cliffreaves

Alright here's the first picture from 2 days ago:

And now...

WDH, you're looking smarter every day. 🤓

WDH

Don't bet against me on this one  ;D.

Thank You Sponsors!