iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawmill blades for Woodland HM 126

Started by Engineer, July 25, 2016, 11:17:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Engineer

I will be ordering a new Woodland Mills HM126 in the next couple of weeks, and am getting a 10-pack of their Lenox blades.  I am wondering if these blades are going to be appropriate for the cutting I need to do.  I am nearly at both extremes of materials.  I need to cut about 4000 board feet of knotty green white pine, which will be very freshly cut.  I also have about 1000 board feet of hardwood logs, including cherry, butternut and ash, which have been sitting for over a year.  Finally I have another 1000 bf of black locust which has been sitting for almost two years and is hard as concrete.  After that, I will be milling mostly freshly cut hardwoods - beech, ash, cherry predominately.

Back when I had a Wood-Mizer, I think I used the 7-degree blades for almost everything except frozen wood, and I switched to the 4-degree blades in winter.  Manufacturers like Cooks' & Lenox don't give a tooth count but they have some different styles of blade.  I would be interested in hearing from you guys that have run the smaller 144" blades for a while, what you have for recommendations?

fishfighter

I have that mill. I saw SYP and different oaks. Most of what I saw is fresh fell. The Lenxo  blades I got(10 pack of 10 degree blades) did cut good in oak. But, I was lucky to get more then 500 BF out of a blade. Most of the time, I got about 400 BF.

So, I ordered some Kasco 7 degree blades. Was $250 for 15 blades shipped. In SYP, I am getting about 500 BF of SYP out a blade and I find they cut oak a bit slower, but better then the Lenxo blades and I'm getting about 400 out a blade for oak.

I haven't try any other blades yet. My take, use the Lenco for oak and get some Kasco blades for the pine. They rip right thru the pine fast.

goose63

I'm useing Kasco 7's in hard wood and Kasco 10's in soft wood.

The Lenox are good blades but the Kasco's stay sharper longer I think.

And I have the same mill   
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

plowboyswr

I'm running the same band (different mill ) I ordered some 4 degree from Kasco. Been cutting walnut, cherry, and oak. Like the way they been holding up. Haven't had the privilege of any black locust but I'm getting ready to do some hedge.
Just an ole farm boy takin one day at a time.
Steve

Thank You Sponsors!