iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

help me decide

Started by Skioutty, July 24, 2016, 05:58:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skioutty

So I have been doing enough cutting where my current MS280 is lacking, and I have decided to get a new saw. I've got it down to the following 2: A Sthil MS391 or a Sthil MS361. Either saw will have a 25 inch bar. The 391 is the top of the line Ranch / Farm line and the 361 is middle of the road Pro line. So what are your thoughts?

ladylake

MS361, built way better. And more power no matter what the specs say.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

rburg

I would go 361. Lighter, better built, and more power.

kenskip1

The 391 has power but is like lugging around a boat anchor.
Stihl The One
Stihl Going Strong
Stihl Looking For The Fountain of Middle Age

DelawhereJoe

I was in your same spot, got a 362 c-m...not looking back. Shell out the money for the pro saw, lighter, more power, more metal parts.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Skioutty

Thanks for the quick replies.
& ooops my bad I typed 361 in stead of 362.

coppice

362 is a better saw than the 391 all around, and it feels much better in the hand than the 391 does, at least for me. 

That said, and this might just be my preference, but I'd want a lot more saw than that for regular use with a 25" bar, particularly if you're going to be using all 25" of the bar while doing dynamic cutting - felling, cutting stuff that has stresses/binds on it (e.g. blowdowns), and other uses where you want to be able to "out cut" the wood before it sets to moving on you - rather than static cutting such as just cutting stacked-up logs on a pile.  The 362 platform seems like a great saw to hang an 18" bar off of, in keeping with the goal of keeping things in the 3:1 to 4:1 engine cc to bar length in inches range.  This isn't to say that it can't run a 25" bar, just that handling/balance will suffer and it will not be as enthusiastic in running that much bar as one might prefer a saw to be.

What bar/chain combo has the 280 been running?  Those saws (270 and 280) always seemed decent to me as 16" firewood/around the property type of saws, but did not really like wearing a 20" bar, especially when it was getting buried in hardwood.

DelawhereJoe

What size wood do you plan on cutting?

Skioutty

Quote from: coppice on July 24, 2016, 08:59:38 PM
362 is a better saw than the 391 all around, and it feels much better in the hand than the 391 does, at least for me. 

That said, and this might just be my preference, but I'd want a lot more saw than that for regular use with a 25" bar, particularly if you're going to be using all 25" of the bar while doing dynamic cutting - felling, cutting stuff that has stresses/binds on it (e.g. blowdowns), and other uses where you want to be able to "out cut" the wood before it sets to moving on you - rather than static cutting such as just cutting stacked-up logs on a pile.  The 362 platform seems like a great saw to hang an 18" bar off of, in keeping with the goal of keeping things in the 3:1 to 4:1 engine cc to bar length in inches range.  This isn't to say that it can't run a 25" bar, just that handling/balance will suffer and it will not be as enthusiastic in running that much bar as one might prefer a saw to be.

What bar/chain combo has the 280 been running?  Those saws (270 and 280) always seemed decent to me as 16" firewood/around the property type of saws, but did not really like wearing a 20" bar, especially when it was getting buried in hardwood.

Thanks for the post coppice.
I have no intentions of keeping the 25 inch bar buried in timber all the time, it's more like having the ability to get into a log then jump to the other side and keep my plane in the started cut. My 280 has an 18 inch bar on it and it is sometimes just too short to reach into and find the started slice. I do hear what you are saying about enough motor to keep the chain moving fast through timber that will pinch and bind if too slow. I just feel like moving up only 2 inches and spending 750 bucks to do it is not that much of an upgrade, I wish there was a 22 or 23 inch.

DelawhereJoe

You can pick up a 22" bar for your saw, Baileys online carries them, but unless you only buy the chain online or know someone that can make you loops of it, tractor supply is the only place I know to get 22" loops locally.

DelawhereJoe

Are you also hard set on Stihl?

Skioutty

Hmmmm, Bailey's.....I'll have a look, thanks.
Yup Sthil it is for me.

Ada Shaker

Definitely like the 362, though I don't know about a 25" bar on it though. If I were looking at a 25" bar I'd be looking at one of the 400 series saws that can run it without bogging it down. It's a more resonable step up from the 200 series and much more capable. If  I latter needed a bigger saw id always have a 600 or 800 series saw to step up to. Three saws would then cover all my needs as far as size were concerned.  Sometimes it also comes down to how much weight you wish to handle, in which case the 362 is a mighty fine saw IMHO.
If it hangs to the left, your likely to be a Husqvarna man.
If it hangs to the right, your likely to be a Stihl man.
Anything else is an uncomfortable compromise.
                             AND
Walking with one foot on either side of a barbed wire fence can become extremely uncomfortable at times.

DelawhereJoe

For about $100 more you could pick up an 80cc echo saw with a 24"-36" bar, it will be my next saw purchase when I want a bigger saw. I live on a budget or the 461 would be my next saw.

motohed

Buy the 362 and don't look back , with good care , it will last for years of service . You will end up with a 20" and 25" bar in the long run the small saw will be used for brush cutting and limbing at best .

Skioutty

I stopped by my local dealer and held the 391 and was not in love with it.
He currently did not have a MS362 for me to hold but tried to push a 261 on me.
I plan on stopping else where later in the week.

DelawhereJoe

The 261 is a great saw, I have an 026 thats been running for 20 years now. Its starting to get tired and is on my overhaul list but its my go to saw for small stuff, great with a 16" bar and full chisel chain.

Skioutty

I know it's a lesser saw than your 026 but that's the same way I feel about my 025 that I've owned for 22 years.

btulloh

I think when you hold the MS362 it will immediately feel better than the 391.  The 362 is worth the wait and the extra $$.  The pro saws are just better if you're in it for the long term.  Not that there's anything wrong with the F&R saws, they're just not as balanced or maintainable.  The difference is apparent just by picking them up.  Starting the saw really shows the difference.

If the 261 is big enough it's a great saw also.  Ideally, you should get both.  But that depends on whose paying.  ;) I've had an 026 for 20 years and with routine maintenance it's still going strong.  I wouldn't want to be without it because there's a lot always a lot of small work to do and I like the option of fitting the saw to the task.
HM126

Carson-saws

MS440 with a short bar and pro chain...and a tight grip!
Let the Forest be salvation long before it needs to be

Skioutty

I bought the 362c-m today and a couple of yellow chains.
I also got the 6 pack of the ultra to double the warranty.

Skioutty

Quote from: Carson-saws on July 26, 2016, 10:16:27 AM
MS440 with a short bar and pro chain...and a tight grip!

I would have loved to get the 461 but it was a little too spendy!

DelawhereJoe

After around 5 tanks of fuel you will be very happy with the saw, loads of power over your current saw.

Skioutty

rburg

Be sure and let us know how you like it.

Skioutty

DelawhereJoe

Just remember that the saw will cut noticeably faster then your current saw so please watch out for your body parts getting in the way.

btulloh

HM126

Skioutty

I'm no rookie. I've been around saws my whole life, just stepped into something bigger. .........but being cautioned is always heard.  smiley_thumbsup

Ada Shaker

Nice saw. Interested in selling it?. :D
                             AND
Walking with one foot on either side of a barbed wire fence can become extremely uncomfortable at times.

DelawhereJoe

That saw out your way in the Yarro Valley is what around $1600 ?

Ada Shaker

Quote from: DelawhereJoe on July 27, 2016, 08:31:34 PM
That saw out your way in the Yarro Valley is what around $1600 ?

That's round about what she cost me, a little more with some files oil and the like ::)
                             AND

Skioutty

So I got to use the new saw for a few big cuts.
Me likey lots! I'll have some more time with it on Monday.

dean herring

Jmop
There are 2 kinds of saws Sthil and the other ones
Luv my Sthil 290, 20" bar
Failure is not an option  3D Lumber

The Diesel

You will love that saw.  It gets more powerful after around 5-6 tanks of gas.  I was noodling/quartering 30" diameter oak with the 362cm yesterday for a few hours yesterday for my neighbor.  I run 25" bar with stihl rs chain.

I was going to go with 362 or a 461 but went with 362 because it will be my main saw and I don't cut enough big stuff to justify the weight.  Also my 70 year old dad will be using.

Bill Saf

The ms 280 isn't really that bad of a saw for what it is. I have one and others to but I do run mine with a 20" full comp and a 8 pin drive with a mm. No it don't pull like my 365sp running 24" with full comp and mm. I would not throw it on the shelf just yet.

Bill

opticsguy

I purchased the 391 about two months ago, my interest was a larger saw for obviously cutting larger wood.  The saw is heavy, at least for me, but cuts very well and fast. At 67 years old, I would not want to carry this around all day.  But for fast cutting it is a very good saw.
TK 1220 band mill,  1952 Ford F-2, 1925 Dodge touring, too many telescopes.

Skioutty

I've got at least 5 tanks through this saw and it really is amazing how well she cuts.
I should have moved up to a bigger saw a long time ago.

Thank You Sponsors!