iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

BIG maple...now how to mill it!

Started by RayRayYJ, July 23, 2016, 12:25:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RayRayYJ

I ran across a big maple the power line company was taking down and cutting into firewood...couldn't let that happen!

Here's my crane guy loading, just shy of 15,000lbs, 65" at the butt end, 10' wide at the crotch:

https://youtu.be/BXDp6-f8PCc

Going to really push my 60" bar, doubt the Lucas will be used at all, guess we'll find out.

Carson-saws

YIKES!!...now there's a "rubik's cube"....can't wait to hear what you did with THAT!   are you handy at chainsaw carving?
Let the Forest be salvation long before it needs to be

rasman57

That flatbed has got all that it wanted right there.   That is a LOAD!  whiteflag_smiley

RayRayYJ

No artistic carving skills here, but it's going to take some carving to get something I can slab.

Aiming to get a nice big 10' cookie from the crotch, then slab out the trunk and the biggest branches.

And yes, we maxed the hiab crane and the truck bed, but still amazed we got it.

Magicman

I just wish that I could watch.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sealark37

I suspect that anyone who is on the scene will end up with chips in their pockets.  Should be fun.

Dad2FourWI

Wow! that is one big tree!!!! It makes the truck look small!

.... hmmm, is it just me.... or does that chainsaw look "happy"!!!???   :D :D :D
LT-40, LT-10, EG-50, Bobcat T750 CTL, Ford 1910 tractor, tree farmer

killamplanes

Ur gonna have to put ur big boy briches on in the mourning because I bet that tree is not gonna give up easily to u turning it into lumber. But it will be a challenge worth concoring..
jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

Brucer

That looks like fun :D.

Let's see -- Rossland to Chilliwack is about a 6 hour drive (one way). Nope, not going to make it. Picture of your progress would be nice ;D.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

york

Well,you did the tree service a big favor,by taking that tree-would like to see you mill it.....
Albert

fishfighter

Now that is a big one and I would run. :D Please do show some pictures in action.

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

RayRayYJ

Maple 1: me 0...my 076 wants some love first, so mid first cut she got pissy,  hoping to get some done tomorrow.

Ljohnsaw

John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

cbla

kelLOGg

Quote from: Brucer on July 24, 2016, 01:09:43 AM
That looks like fun :D.

Let's see -- Rossland to Chilliwack is about a 6 hour drive (one way). Nope, not going to make it. Picture of your progress would be nice ;D.

No pictures - no progress. ;D ;D

Seriously though, it would be great to see.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

OffGrid973

splitwood_smiley    How does someone even start working on that beast?
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

Weekend_Sawyer

Wow, I think I heard the truck say "Oooof"

I'm watching with interest.

I was going to say you have enough saw for it, but...
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

RayRayYJ

Opened up my 076, piston is scored pretty bad, just ordered a new piston/cylinder/rings. Can't complain, saw was free and she's cut a lot of wood for me! Maple delayed....

bkaimwood

bk

mad murdock

I bet you will get some very nice figured wood out of that very substantial crotch piece!   Cant wait to see it opened up 8) popcorn_smiley popcorn_smiley
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Okrafarmer

Anybody have a Turbosawmill near you?
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

RayRayYJ

No clue on the turbosaw, hell,  I might be the only lucas around...only seen bandsaws.

The 076 is back, took her completely apart, new bearings, seals, gaskets, piston, rings and cylinder...really love this saw now.

Maple is getting opened asap!

RayRayYJ

Progress made...1 chain down, lots of sharpening (finally found a big rock buried deep that killed my chain), but pretty pleased with where we're at. I removed all the large branch stubs, got my big oval out of the crotch and now left with 6' of the solid trunk. Hoping to get to slabbing this week, but here are some shots, this tree didn't give up without one hell of a fight!

terrifictimbersllc

Hey it is interesting to watch paint dry!   :D :D :D
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

RayRayYJ

Here's a pre anchorseal shot...wanted to seal these as quick as possible! 8' long by 4-5' wide

Savannahdan

How many gallons of Anchorseal did you use on it so far?  Nope, you can't have my new 5 gallon I received this past Friday. 
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

Okrafarmer

Yikes that's going to have some beautiful grain, I reckon!  :o
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

HAVAstudios

Wow! That is a beast!!! Kudos to you for taking a huge project like this on!

I have a two hundred year old (biologist counted) honey locust that I am looking at ways to mill. Not as big as your maple though! Mine is around 52"-53" diameter for the middle base section. I heard about it late, or would have tried to save more of it.

How are you milling slabs? This is what I am looking into. I tried to use an Alaskan, but it didn't turn out well.

I'm near the Kansas City border area (Lawrence, KS). I'm talking to a guy who has a Peterson Mill setup about doing the work, but he is a ways a way, so it gets pricey.

RayRayYJ

I'm milling slabs with an alaskan setup, unfortunately I don't have the slabbing attachement for the lucas just yet!

What didn't turn out well when you used the alaskan?

I've done quite a bit of slabbing with my Stihl 076 with the alaskan, 60" bar, 404 Woodland Pro ripping chain, granberg helper handle and auxiliary oiler...as long as I keep my chain sharp and I set up the first cut well the slabs turn out beautifully. Yes, it's slow going, but I've been really pleased with my alaskan set up.

RayRayYJ

First few slabs, some really nice grain. Looking forward to tackling the main trunk...but good lord this wood is hard.

Weekend_Sawyer

That piece is begging to have a glass table top on it!
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Kbeitz

There ia a persons head in your wood. I did nothing but remove some of
the outside of the picture. No changes to whats shown.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

RayRayYJ

Creepy but cool, thanks for showing me that Kbeitz. If the rain holds off I'll do some more today.

Thank You Sponsors!