iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I thought this was a dead walnut tree?

Started by cliffreaves, July 21, 2016, 12:08:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cliffreaves

I cut down a fairly large tree that i thought was walnut, but now I'm not certain.   The wood was very light colored for walnut.  Here are a few pics of a chunk of it.  I sanded it down and rubbed some mineral oil on it.  Is it walnut or some thing else?

WDH

Cliff,

It is an elm.  The latewood pores are arranged in wavy bands. 

You can only post pics from your gallery.  I see that you have the photos in your gallery, so you are most of the way there.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

cliffreaves

Thank you WDH!  I couldn't get the pictures figured out last night.  I never would have guessed elm, but that's exactly what I have at the back of my property, elm and walnut.

cliffreaves

Any idea if elm with worm holes is valuable?  It'll also likely be slightly spalted by the time my mill gets here.

Magicman

As far as I am concerned black Ambrosia Beetle holes enhance the character of lumber.  I built well over 100 clocks from Pecan lumber that had beetle holes.  My sales dropped when I ran out of that lumber supply.

Spalt value is in the eyes of the beholder.

It's all in the marketing.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Elm, of itself, is not particularly valuable.  Having spiral grain, it can be hard to dry and keep straight.  Pretty, though.

cliffreaves

I love the look of pecan, I bet those clocks look great!  I build tables and such and I love working with wood that has character.  I'll have about 800 bd ft of elm from this one tree, I plan on using some and selling some.  I'm sure that by the time it all dries, I won't have 800 bd ft that's usable. I'm a little worried about drying lumber in general.   I'm thinking about building a kiln of sorts in my garage or just air drying it outside with a roof over it.  I was planning on milling some 8/4 slabs for table tops with some of it, and 4x4's for legs, any suggestions for the rest?

Thank You Sponsors!