iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Radio Controlled LT40 Project

Started by Ga Mtn Man, July 20, 2016, 06:29:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ga Mtn Man

I first started thinking about this project back in August of 2014 after seeing Dave Shepard's "Ghost-Mizer" video and pineywood's thread on his wireless mill.  While being up-close-and-personal with the cut does have its advantages, being trapped in a cloud of pink dust in the heat of a Georgia summer with the wind blowing the wrong way loses its appeal after a few hours, so I was determined to find a way out of the cloud.  Trading up to an LT40 with remote operator console was my first choice but the wallet said no.  A radio controlled mill that lets the sawyer move freely around the mill seemed like an ideal solution and might be more affordable.

Dave Shepard's video:
https://youtu.be/wacDqjavGZA

A call to WM Indy shut down any thoughts of that...it's for all practical purposes a factory-only option and not cheap at that.  But as it happens, I  had an old late-80's vintage 5-channel Futaba Gold Series radio system packed away in the basement from when I used to fly RC (radio control) model airplanes.

Hmmm...add a few servos, some micro-switches and handful of relays...how hard could it be? ::) 

The radio uses an old narrow-band FM frequency which is no longer legal but with a little on-line research, I discovered that the transmitter RF (radio frequency) module could be replaced with the latest and greatest technology: 2.4Ghz, Frequency-Hopping, Spread-Spectrum, w/Telemetry and RSSI (relative signal strength indicator).  The RF module and matching Rx (receiver) only cost about $50.  This is the same radio control technology that most of the drones you see on TV use and also what the WM wireless unit uses.  This technology has some distinct advantages over the older radio systems, not the least of which is high immunity to interference, a very desirable thing when controlling an aircraft (or a sawmill).  I ordered the 2.4Ghz RF module and Rx and, realizing I was going to need more than 5 channels to control all of the mill functions, I found a 7-channel version of my Tx(transmitter) on e-bay for $30 and ordered that too.  Here's a pic of the stripped-down transmitter board with the new RF module installed:

The new RF module is the small "piggy-back" board in the upper center of the main board with the yellow wire connected to the bottom.  The light colored board to the left is a homemade low-battery monitor and Auto-Shutoff (after 15 min no activity) circuit that I added.  The main advantage to using this old radio circuitry is that it's all hardware (not software based as are more modern radios) and is relatively easy to understand and modify.

My first thought on interfacing the radio Rx to the mill was to use servos and micro-switches to control relays tied to the various mill functions, but a test setup connected to the UP/DN on the mill showed the response time of this arrangement was just too slow...it was almost impossible to get the head to stop on the desired mark.    I posted a question on an RC forum about how to read the control pulses coming out of an RC Rx to control a relay and got a few suggestions:  hack a servo (use just the electronics inside a servo), use a low-pass RC filter (RC = resistor/capacitor; this actually worked but was too slow also) , use a PIC microcontroller (I ignored this response because I didn't know the first thing about a PIC).  I decided to just recreate the control circuitry found in a servo so, after some on-line research, I found a "typical" servo schematic and ordered a bunch of components from Digi-Key; voltage regulators, FET's, op-amps, comparators, bunches of resistors and capacitors.  I spent a couple of evenings experimenting and eventually had a circuit that would activate a relay "instantaneously" with the flip of a switch on the RC Tx.  Success!  If you can control a relay you can control just about any function on WM sawmill (accept for the feed speed of course).  But I then realized that the component count of the circuit times the number of relays needed to control the sawmill would mean the prototype circuit board would require hundreds of hand-wired connections.  Nope, not gonna do it.  So...I gave some more thought to the PIC microcontroller suggestion, did a lot of Google-ing, and ordered a couple of the PICAXE versions of the PIC to play with. 

Unfortunately, I had to set the project aside to take care of more pressing projects and...ten months later I woke up one morning and decided it was time to learn how to program a PIC.  After reading through the PIC programming manual, doing a little circuit bread-boarding and writing some simple code, I finally had it...a blinking LED!  Woop, Woop!  8)  Look, you have to take your victories where you can, no matter how small. :D

The next hurdle was to figure out the code needed to make the PIC read the RC Rx channels.  For those not familiar with RC, a "channel" refers to an individual control function.  A 4-channel aircraft radio would control the elevator, ailerons, rudder, and throttle.  Each channel is typically output to individual connector pins on the Rx, which would mean I would need to dedicate up to 8 pins on the PIC just to read the channel data.  This was a problem as the PIC I had only had 12 I/O (input/output) pins available.  After posting a few questions on the RC forum, I discovered that the Rx firmware could be re-flashed (by the user) to output all the channel data in a single stream on one pin, referred to as CPPM (combined pulse-position modulated).  After re-flashing the Rx, connecting the CPPM output to an input pin of the PIC, and after a couple of evenings of extreme frustration  smiley_computer_monitor I finally saw this on my computer screen:

I literally jumped up out of my chair and did a victory dance (sorry, no video).  I know it doesn't look like much but this is the debug window of the code editor showing the PIC code I wrote synced up to the Rx data stream.  This was the first time that I was sure I could actually make this project work.  The first number is the much longer sync pulse followed by the eight channel data pulses, each assigned to a variable name created by me in the code. FYI, the trick to reading the data stream was to run the PIC at its fastest speed, look for a very long pulse (sync pulse) and once found, do nothing else but wait for the first data pulse.  The time between the end of the sync pulse and the beginning of the first data pulse is very short and it is easy to miss the first data pulse.  This all seems dead-simple to me now but at the time there was an awful lot of hair-pulling and head-banging (and not the good kind).

From there it was just many, many evenings spent writing and debugging code,  building and trouble-shooting the circuitry needed to interface the PIC to the sawmill, and building a transmitter configured to control a sawmill.  The code to control many of the mill functions couldn't be much simpler:

AutoClutch:            ;Engage/Disengage AutoClutch

select case AutoCl

case <200 goto ReadChannels   ;invalid data, loop back

case > 900   
   low c.2            ;Disengage AutoClutch

case > 200
   high c.2         ;Engage AutoClutch

endselect

But for other things like controlling the speed and direction of the saw carriage while implementing auto-braking delays and soft-start, the code got "a little"  ::) more complex.  I don't expect you to read through the code but I just wanted to show how getting fancy with features can complicate things in a big way.  The code without braking delays and softstart would have been only a little longer than the above code.

This is only about 1/3 of the code for controlling the carriage speed and direction. smiley_dizzy

ForwardReverse:              

;SoftDuty = 375 = start reverse at 1/3 of speed range(661-233/3 + 233)
   ;RC MODE TIMER SETTINGS
   BrkTm = 20 MAX 125      ;25 ~= 1s
   BmpTm = 15 MAX 125
   SoftInc = 40 MAX 255      ;1s soft-start=661(full spd)-375(1/3rd of spd range)/25=11(SoftInc)

if Mode =0 then         ;Manual Mode brake timer settings
   BrkTm = BrkTm * 2       ;set to 2x RC mode value, max 255
   BmpTm = BmpTm * 2       ;     "          "
   SoftInc = SoftInc/2 MIN 1

endif

select case FwdRev               ;check FWD/REV state
case < 300   goto ReadChannels         ;invalid pulse length

case < 600      ;REVERSE, Dir = 1     Green LED, RLY1
         ;BrakeFlag:  0 = full braking required, 1= braking completed or
         ;short brake if changing direction

if Dir <> 1 and BrakeFlag=0 then      ;if previously dir was FWD
                        ;and braking not complete
         if DelayCnt<BrkTm then

pwmduty c.0,0      ;BRAKE
            low b.2,b.4
            inc DelayCnt

else   
            Dir=1         ;set flag to REV
            BrakeFlag=1      ;set flag to braking finished
            DelayCnt=0            
            pwmduty c.0,350   ;set to start point
         endif

elseif Dir = 4 and BrakeFlag = 1 then    ;if previous dir was a bump FWD then

pwmduty c.0,0               ;short BRAKE
            low b.2,b.4
            pause 1000               ;pause 125mS
            Dir = 1
            pwmduty c.0,350            ;set to start point
            BumpCnt = 0

else         ;previous direction was REV or NEU and braking complete

high b.4            ;REVERSE
         low b.2
;         if SoftDuty < 661 then      ;soft start in REV
;            SoftDuty = SoftDuty + SoftInc MAX 661
;            
;         else
;            SoftDuty = 661      ;soft start completed, full speed
;            
;         endif

pwmduty c.0,661
         Dir=1
         DelayCnt = 0
         if BumpCnt<BmpTm and BrakeFlag = 1 then            
            inc BumpCnt            
         else
            BrakeFlag=0      ;longer than a bump, set flag for long braking
            BumpCnt = 0
         endif      
   endif

This post is getting too long and I bet I've already lost a few readers so I'll stop here. For those of you that have made it this far, this "project" is already completed and working. I'll finish posting the rest of the story soon with more pics and a "high-quality" video to follow.  Thanks for reading.

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

tnaz

Great job.  Over my head; glad you had your victory dance!!! 8) 8)

jmouton

that is way over my head but sounds really cool,  hope to see some pics,,

jim
lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

Kbeitz

Love it.... Just like programing in good old BASIC....

I see what my next project is going to be....

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

autotomk

that is incredible   i have got to have me one of them:):)   been thinking of some type of remote for some time now.  Up grade is out for me too and, the parts are just as expensive,  that is awesome.

OK i have to drop this for now ,going on a camping trip, first in 6 years, with wife  ( i guess deer camp doesn't count, I think of her there??)  She says no sawmill stuff:(:(  Ill still be watching on my mobile, when shes not looking.  thanks for taking the time.
To God be the glory.

Ga Mtn Man

Thanks for your comments guys.  I will post the rest of the project sometime tomorrow.

Just to be clear, the video at the top of my post is of Dave Shepard's mill with the Wood-Mizer factory installed Wireless Remote.   
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Dave Shepard

Very interesting project. Do you have any kind of set works on your mill? I really like my wireless.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Ga Mtn Man

I have the SimpleSet.  As pineywoods said in his thread, a wireless control without some sort of setworks is just about useless.

Kbeitz

I really like your setup. I went the cheap simple way. My remote only work the carriage travel.
These two pieces is all that needed for that.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

logs2lumber

that is awesome  i work on things like that everyday.  What would be really cool is putting a plc base or SBC and optic scanner and have it run completely automatic so you could unload slabs and lumber by yourself . would like to see it run for sure

bkaimwood

No, that wouldn't be cool...you unloading slabs while the saw makes lumber?😞 Takes the fun out of sawing. You running the saw from a comfy chair, remotely, with some purple drank, while 2 other guys unload slabs and lumber? Now that's cool!!!
bk

Picky2016

WDH

The next thing you know, Paul, you will have that thing flying.  No need to tow it to the jobsite anymore  :D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Ga Mtn Man

Funny you say that Danny.  I was thinking the other day that, at least with regard to the FWD/REV and feed speed controls, I have the sawmill equivalent of an Airbus airliner...  I move the controls and the computer decides what to do... and we've seen how that, on occasion, has gone terribly wrong. :o  Time will tell.

I hope to finish posting about the project sometime this weekend.  Power was out Thursday evening and family is in town this weekend.  Stay tuned.

rjwoelk

Amazing, but I will stay with my lt15, no electrical and computer issues.  :D
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Bandmill Bandit

Your project is not only very interesting  and informative it is exactly what I am thinking of doing. I definitely want to know more when you are done. I want to make my hydraulics remote as well.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Paul, I just read this. Sometimes I think you've lost your %@#*&$& mind......in a positive way.  :D :D :D

Good job brother.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

YellowHammer

Quote from: Ga Mtn Man on July 23, 2016, 09:05:56 AM
Funny you say that Danny.  I was thinking the other day that, at least with regard to the FWD/REV and feed speed controls, I have the sawmill equivalent of an Airbus airliner...  I move the controls and the computer decides what to do... and we've seen how that, on occasion, has gone terribly wrong. :o  Time will tell.

I hope to finish posting about the project sometime this weekend.  Power was out Thursday evening and family is in town this weekend.  Stay tuned.

The next step is network connection and sawing the logs remotely from your easy chair.  Very nice build.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Ga Mtn Man

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on July 23, 2016, 10:24:31 PM
Paul, I just read this. Sometimes I think you've lost your %@#*&$& mind......in a positive way.  :D :D :D

Good job brother.  :)

I know I need help.  It is a sickness.  Is there such a thing as MMA (mill mod-ers anonymous).  :-\

Quote from: YellowHammer on July 24, 2016, 12:31:01 AMThe next step is network connection and sawing the logs remotely from your easy chair.  Very nice build.

Great idea! I will add that to my winter project list.

Ga Mtn Man

-part II-

To interface the PIC to the mill controls I used SPDT relays (22 and counting).  Most of the mill functions are switched between Manual and RC modes through "Mode Select" relays activated by a single "RC Enable" output from the PIC.  When in RC mode, the Guide and Debarker In/Out directions are controlled by H-bridge circuits made up of two of the above mentioned relays and the ON/OFF switching of the mill functions is handled by other relays, each one activated by a control signal from the PIC

I first attempted to control the carriage FWD/REV and speed in RC Mode using a "high-current" motor controller off of ebay.  It didn't last three cuts. >:(  I abandoned that idea and built an H-bridge using four high-current relays (two on each leg) and ran both manual and RC controls through it.  The FWD/REV drum switch and manual speed pot are now connected to inputs on the PIC and control in both manual and RC mode is done through the PIC.  An analog output from the PIC feeds the stock Wood-Mizer PWM board now instead of the manual feed pot.  This allowed me to implement automatic braking delays and soft-start in both manual and RC modes.

Controller board all wired up. The four dark colored relays are the H-bridge for the carriage FWD/REV.   

All buttoned up.  Made this temporary panel so as not to mess up on the WM sheet metal.

Wiring in the 16-channel relay board ($17 on ebay)  Looks like my control box threw up!

The relay module fit nicely under the SimpleSet housing. :)  If it hadn't, I have no idea where else I could have put it.  Sixteen relays didn't turn out to be enough so I added the 4-relay module shown in the first pic.

Laying awake thinking about this project one night, it dawned on me that  I could put more than one control function onto a single channel of the radio system.  smiley_idea   Because the "channels" are analog, they can be divided into levels that can be used to control more than one function.  This allowed me to free up a channel which made it possible to add full control of the SimpleSet functions.  :laugh:

This is the SimpleSet control board and H-bridge module.  If you look at the upper-left corner you can see a 5-pin header that I added in parallel with the ribbon cable that goes to the front control panel of the SimpleSet.

Here's the ribbon cable connected to the header.  The other end goes to the relay module.

Gotta get on the road early tomorrow so gonna quit for now.  Sawing in Kennesaw tomorrow.  Will finish up this thing soon

TimGA

Paul,
              Impressed is an understatement, I knew when we talked about this it was way over my head. I don't understand Greek soooo I just looked at the pretty pictures.   Great job.
                                                          Tim
TK2000, Kubota L3130GST, grapple, pallet forks, 2640 Massey w/loader (The Beast) Husky saws Logrites One man operation some portable most stationary.

Bandmill Bandit

When you're all done could you replicate that into an after market package I could buy from you and install myself? I am sure there will be others that would be interested as well. 
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Ga Mtn Man

part III

Inside the ruggedized transmitter box.  The wiring harness was given to me by a customer who had salvaged it from a projection screen TV... made for a much cleaner wiring job than individual wires.   The battery pack is made from NiMh cells from Amazon.  The die-cast aluminum enclosure is made by Hammond Mfg.

You can see the speed control pot in the lower right.  The two square black things are the joystick modules used to control FWD/REV//Debarker In/Out and Up/Dn//Guide In/Out.  The little copper-looking metal strip in the center of the left joystick is a piece of spring steel that I installed to give the FWD stick a detent.

The completed transmitter with switch guards fabricated from aluminum rod.

System Specs and Features:

•   Remote control of all sawhead functions including SimpleSet and Lube-Mizer.

•   Auto-Braking Delay--- stops saw carriage before changing direction.

•   Failsafe Shutdown--- stops carriage, disengages AutoClutch and switches to         manual control mode if data link signal strength between sawmill and transmitter drops below a safe level.

•   Mode Change Safety Interlock--- inhibits switching from manual to RC or RC to manual control modes if any safety-critical control (carriage forward, AutoClutch, Debarker) is engaged.

•   Auto Transmitter Detect---detects signal from transmitter and enables/disables RC Mode.

•   RC Mode Override Switch---switch (located on  sawmill control console) overrides the  Auto Transmitter Detect and switches to manual control mode.  RC mode can only be re-enabled by turning transmitter OFF/ON or by switching the mill OFF/ON.

•   Range: >300 ft with no external antenna.

•   Transmitter battery run time: >10 hrs

•   Transmitter Auto Shutoff:  shuts off transmitter if no controls are moved for 15 minutes

Here's a video of my first time using the remote control at a customer's site.  It was shot by the same guy that gave me the wiring harness.

https://youtu.be/SGSdl2Xoco4

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

YellowHammer

YellowHammerisms:

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

5quarter

simply amazing! Kind of reminds me of what Quebecnewf  goes through to make a chair for his lovely bride... :) ;)
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

customsawyer

That is just slick as all get out. Very well done.  smiley_clapping
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

slider

al glenn

bkaimwood

CRAZY COOL project, Paul. Much respect and admiration for an incredible job using your outstanding knowledge and skill....and patience!!! :o :o 8) 8)
bk

Sixacresand

"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Ga Mtn Man

Thanks all.  I'm very pleased (and somewhat surprised) with how well this thing works, but if I had known when I started just how many hours it was going to take me to finish this project, I'm not sure I would have done it.  smiley_dizzy whiteflag_smiley

Bandmill Bandit- I plan to have a PCB (Printed Circuit Board) prototype run of the circuit board made once I'm satisfied with the design.  That might make it possible for it to be a marketable product.  I know you could do it but I'm not sure it would ever be something that the "average" mill owner would be able to tackle.  I think some amount of technical ability would be required to install something like this. 

4x4American

Holy schnikes Paul!!  You are a genius!  I want one!!
Boy, back in my day..

Larry

Amazing work.  I'm impressed. 8)

Package all the components and call it a WM HeathKit.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I'm laughing my tail off Paul.  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I can't wait to show this to a few people and tell them, "Yep, me and Paul are friends."

Me telling them we are close friends will make me look smart.  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

One question, do you always run your blade tension at 300,000,000 PSI?  :D :D :D :D :D :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

4x4American

I know I do goat man, I run it just shy of what I call Peter-Pressure (Peter the Pine Man), which is when you bottom out the gauge and then take out an old pipe and crank on her some more
Boy, back in my day..

Kbeitz

It would not take much more to interface up with a laptop running Denkovi Relay Manager Software.
You could have your mill running automatically. look into ethernet IP controller (DAEnetIP2)
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

terrifictimbersllc

Unbelievable.  Remember new rule you must keep it in sight when you fly it.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

WDH

That would be only drone that could saw lumber in flight  :D.

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: WDH on July 31, 2016, 07:19:39 AM
That would be only drone that could saw lumber in flight  :D.
With angels for off-bearers!  Think D-U-G and The Goat, with wings!
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Bandmill Bandit

Thanks for the response Ga mountain man.

I'd have that computer/electronic engineer son that I am sure would not have any issues installing it for me. I can probably do it too but he'd be a lot faster at it.

4x4American

Are you calling me an angel, dennis?  That's so sweet!  lol
Boy, back in my day..

Ga Mtn Man

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on July 30, 2016, 06:06:38 PM
I'm laughing my tail off Paul.  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I can't wait to show this to a few people and tell them, "Yep, me and Paul are friends."

Me telling them we are close friends will make me look smart.  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

One question, do you always run your blade tension at 300,000,000 PSI?  :D :D :D :D :D :D

I'm sorry, what was your name?  ;D

Yep, 300M, give or take a million.

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: 4x4American on July 31, 2016, 11:50:47 AM
Are you calling me an angel, dennis?  That's so sweet!  lol
Looking back on it I believe i did, and not just you!   ::) ::) ::)

YellowHammer

I'm seeing you sawing from your recliner up at the house, in the air conditioning, watching a video monitor of the milling, and through an intercom, telling your help to hurry up and load the next log.  Oh yeah, all the while eating chips and salsa.

Yep, I want one.....
YellowHammerisms:

Ga Mtn Man

Yes, you absolutely must have one.  I'm willing to do an even swap, mill for mill.  You busy tomorrow?  :laugh:   

YellowHammer

Quote from: Ga Mtn Man on July 31, 2016, 06:26:30 PM
Yes, you absolutely must have one.  I'm willing to do an even swap, mill for mill.  You busy tomorrow?  :laugh:   

:D :D :D :D
YellowHammerisms:

Bandmill Bandit

Ga Mnt Man YOU have a marketable after market system there. I am pretty sure there are more than a few that will want one and now that it been done dont think for a second that woodmizer wont put some serious effort into the discussions of ana after market system.

logs2lumber

That is very awesome  smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping I am book marking this to save I have the remote command station so i dont have to walk with mine but this is a awesome thread. well done

4x4American

So how are ya liking it Paul?

Let me guess, you hate it so much you're bringing it to my yard for it to be my headache now, right?

;D
Boy, back in my day..

Ga Mtn Man

I like it a lot but I find that I mostly use it when sawing through a cant.  When sawing big knotty logs that challenge my little 26.5HP (formerly 29HP, but don't even get me started on that) Kohler, I feel like I can modulate the feed speed better with my hands on the operator console.  Thanks for asking D-U-G.

4x4American

I'm sure it was worth it.

pssst....!

Say Paul   smiley_wavy

Most folks increase the hp on their engines, not lower it!  Don't ya know?!
Boy, back in my day..

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Ga Mtn Man

Quote from: 4x4American on September 22, 2016, 08:29:34 PM
I'm sure it was worth it.

pssst....!

Say Paul   smiley_wavy

Most folks increase the hp on their engines, not lower it!  Don't ya know?!

Wasn't me.  It was the government.

4x4American

Ohhhh ok, now that makes perfect sense...(not cents)
Boy, back in my day..

drobertson

Pretty freaking cool!  Paul you did good, very neat and tidy, professional!
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

WDH

Has that thing had lift-off and near Earth orbit yet?  Hard to escape Earth's gravity with just sawdust as a propellant  :).  Just think, when you get the minor details worked out, you can space walk and cut a few boards at the same time.  How cool is that?

barbender

That is awesome, GMM!! Now on my old Super mill with the board drag back, that would be a groovy addition!
Too many irons in the fire

Ga Mtn Man

Thanks David and barbender.  It means a lot that all you guys appreciate the work that went into this thing.

Danny, as a matter of fact just the other day I was sittin' on my tailgate, radio in hand, speed pot just about pegged, sawing some very nice 1x12 poplar boards when I noticed the operator side wheel lifting off the ground as the carriage went by... too much thrust from the sawdust chute I reckon.  Dialed back on the feed speed a bit and all was well.  True story.

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Magicman

I was traveling when you posted the video and I missed it.  Your "sweat equity" is fully rewarded.  That thing is awesome Paul.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

svart ole

Started to read this and saw the RC control. Now I did not read all the way through so someone may have commented already.  The first thing that came to mind (you said you have flown RC) so I have to think you have considered the guy across the road from where you are set up taking his RC model for a spin when you are sawing and what may happen. When I am running my CNC router I am always within arms reach of a E-Stop button. Electronics do not always function as they are supposed to and even relays can stick. If I have learned anything over the years it is that if it can happen, it will. Never turn your back on a automated machine or never trust a robot. Great to see someone with the ability to apply some tech to make work easier. Good on ya.
My wife said I collect junk, I told her I am a amateur industrial archaeologist just trying to save valuable artifacts.

Ga Mtn Man

Radio control technology has come a long way in the last 25 years.  You will no longer find radio impounding or frequency pins at most flying fields.  Receivers are "bound" to the controlling transmitter and use frequency-hopping, spread-spectrum technology that virtually eliminates interference from other radios.  I hope you will take the time to read through my posts and see that I have built into the system numerous safety and fail-safe features.

lumberjack1986

@Ga Mtn Man awesome thread!  I'm assuming you didn't forward with the PCB/bringing this to market?  

DanMc

Reading through this thread, I came across a post from Kbeitz.  I miss his posts.  He was always building something very clever and innovative out of junk.  My kind of man.

Anybody know how he's doing?
LT35HDG25
JD 4600, JD2210, JD332 tractors.
28 acres of trees, Still have all 10 fingers.
Jesus is Lord.

beenthere

Not doing well on this forum..   ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Sixacresand

At the end of a cut, a good helper would declutch the engine, raise the sawing head and bring the head back to where I am sitting.  Then I could set and start the next cut while he dealt with a board or slab :D  
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Durf700

any updates on how this RC mill is doing?  curious to the expense and if this was ever re-produced.

awesome job!!!!! 

luap

congradulations on getting that figured out. I was heavily into rc flying and modeling for years and then dropped the gas powered for electric and then discovered building from foam, I have boxes of motors, several tx's, receivers and associated supplies but don't do it any more. when you mentioned what you had to do to get instntaneous response, it reminded me that each rx had a simple program procedure to sync it with the transmitter so you would get instant response It was something like advance to full throttle then back to zero  then full until  it would beep four times and on the third beep move it to zero throttle and that was it. and then you had instant throttle response,etc. I don't recall what it was but each tx came with a short instructional sheet that laid it all out. also important to power down the tx before the rx at the end of the flight.  My brain fog may be confusing this and I am unable to get into my shop to confirm this. I really enjoyed the foam building as there was no remorse on crashing and breaking as so easy to fix or rebuild. If my grand kids ever get interested, they will have a treasure trove of rc plane stuff.

Thank You Sponsors!