iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Loader Hydraulics

Started by Magicman, July 20, 2016, 02:27:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

I noticed when I got home from last sawing job that the loader feet had relaxed a bit.   ???

That did not look right and I was certain that I fully closed the loader before traveling.

The next morning they looked like this.  Yup Houston, we have a problem.

Those cylinders are only 18 years old, but they need rebuilding.  Off of the sawmill and off to the shop they go.

Having them rebuilt at the shop cost me $210 labor, but in this instance, it was worth it.

Almost done with the reassembly. 

No final picture because they look like they are supposed to look, and whatdoyouknow, lever up, they go up, and lever down, they go down.   That plus I almost got a complete fluid change out in the deal.  ;D 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

rasman57

Your attention to detail is one of the big reasons that mill has such longevity and great service history.   Take care of your equipment and your equipment will take care of you.....old saying         move_it

autotomk

Did you use ATF  and any paticular  brand.
To God be the glory.

Magicman

Yes ATF, and whatever is the cheapest, generally Wal-Mart.

Had I noticed that there is only one major cylinder (log turner) that has not been rebuilt, it would have been done while I had it down.  Matter of fact if the claw starts creeping up I'll go ahead and pull the toe board cylinders so they will all be done.  Age is a killer as well as usage.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Sawmill Man

Very unusual for both cylinders to go bad at the same time. I would have figured it to be valve related.
"I could have sworn I went over that one with the metal detector".

Magicman

I doubt that both cylinders actually simultaneously failed.  They are both on the same 'circuit" so I could push one leg up and the other would come down.  Whether one had previously failed and the other was holding both legs, or if one fails the fluid will back flow and allow the other to release, I do not know.  The hydraulic repairman told me that they were both in bad shape and needed kits.  Of course due to the fact that they were both 18 years old, rebuilding only one was never a thought.

woodmills1

only 18 years smiley_clapping
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Magicman

When you think about it you realize how much of a beating the various components in a sawmill take. 

Thank You Sponsors!