iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Spalted Maple

Started by gizmo, November 08, 2004, 07:29:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gizmo

I was cutting up a tree that the power company downed when I got Electric run up the road. When I cut it I was wondering what the heck all the lines were in it. Jeff B. said it was Spalt and with further checking it was. This tree is at least 36 inches in diameter maybe bigger. and quite long. Do you think the whole tree has this Spalt?? I cut a few 20 inch logs from it at bout 20 inch diameter and it looks pretty consistent. What happens when I get to the base and what should I do with it
[img]

Furby

Uhhhhhh...........
Stop cutting firewood logs from it and make some REAL nice boards out of it!!!

If the logs you cut off are from the top of the tree, then it's a safe bet that the whole log is spalted. Most of the standing dead ones I've seen start at the base and work up.

Brad_S.

I don't think you should waste your time with it ;). I'll come get it and leave you an equal pile of nice fresh firewood without those annoying lines running through it! ;D
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

UNCLEBUCK

Now I know what spalted maple is !  Thats neat stuff
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

gizmo

That hunk was off the top of the tree. Probably have 4000#'s of it left from the base up...... Don't know if I should cut it in 10' sections or 12" pieces??  Any suggestions.

John  :D ;D

Tom

A Spalted Sweet Gum Stool

Minnesota_boy

Yup, Tom, that sure is some nice firewood you have. I'll bet that stool would fit right in the furnace and it's probably pretty well dry by now too.  You can just Fedex it right up here.  I'd even pay the freight.  ;D
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

gizmo

I still never got an answer as to how to cut this stuff up?? Timbers or small logs for woodworkers?? How should I look for buyers?? What will happen if it lays there another year?? Will it be worth more if it isn't stolen and ages?? Should I quit my job because I now have enough for retirement?? Appreciate a little input please. If you get a chance check out my webpage. Lot of good outdoor stuff on there.....

John

http://users.adelphia.net/~gizmo/

Furby

Gizmo,
It all depends on what you plan to do with the lumber.
Either bring the logs to a mill, or have a mill come to you.
Cut the logs to what ever length boards you want, but add a little to the length for trim. 10' & 12' + trim is fine, I wouldn't cut them shorter then 8' + trim, unless I had to.

Ya might find someone who will take a chunk for turning, that you might be able to get out of one of the firewood pieces.

From the looks of the pic, there is plenty of spalt. Leaving it could allow it to rot, or maybe get even better. It's a gamble. :-/

gizmo

The tree has been laying for about 5 or so years now. When I get up there for deer season in 2 weeks, hell I'm taking the chainsaw to do a little cutting down at the base to see what that looks like....Hopefully it will have good spalt also.........Also hope I get a 14 pt Buck!!!

John

Tom

Except for the smaller chunks that are already in firewood size, I would flat-saw it into 4/4 boards.  Spalt is pretty and is used for facia.  The construction pieces will probably be other solid wood for strength.  The value of a spalted board is difficult to assign because it depends on the buyer's needs rather than a market. A pretty piece of spalt can be several times the value of non-spalted board.  If it were me, I would use it myself.  You would be proud to have a piece or two of spalted furniture in your house.

Most furniture boards are cut 8 or 10 feet in length.  That allows for easy handling and transportation in a pick-up truck.

Don't bet on retiring on that one piece. :D :D

Spalt is the early stages of decay. If you leave it too long it will rot and be no good.  If you cut it too early, it may not be spalted through and through.  It's kinda like cooking a piece of meat.  Experience helps because you can't see inside.

As far as looking for buyers, you need to find a woodworker who knows what spalt is.  Some don't.  You could find one in a woodworking club if you have one locally or you could display it on Ebay or one of those type markets.

gizmo

I checked the ebay market and it's going for quite a bit. It's not the money it's the point of having something nice. Keep some for me and sell the rest I guess. If it wasn't for this board it would have been in the firepit. I thought it was petrified wood. Great timber jockey I am!!!!!! Thanks for the inputs..................................... 8)

iain

Slice it through and through, check for sort spots, as in real soft.
Make sure you get 4 book matched boards, 9/4 for a nice dining table top and legs.
The heavy spalted beech tables i make (for abuot 109"x36") start around $3800 for some thing simple
So stop cutting bits or to have a look, did you say how long it was i cant remember, and dont know how to go back and check and keep the writing i've already done.
Cut at about 144" (usfull length) and check if you must, but get it milled up and sticker with CLEAN DRY sticks.

iain  

Larry

A FF member taught me how to cut spalted maple turning blocks last year.  Really this was not much more than a chunk of firewood that I took a slice off with the chainsaw.

Gave a couple boards to a guy doing intarsia couple of months ago to see what he can come up with.

Started a splalting farm a couple of years ago where I have all kinds of logs in various stages of decay.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

gizmo

Did  that spalt go the whole length of the tree??? Looks good from here.......... :D

Ironwood

Larry Copas,  That piece in the photo looked curly as well? Extra bonus points. Quarter sawing will help bring out any curl as well as spaulting. Just finished drying a huge hollow hard maple. Curly on the outer white and spaulted to the inside. Tree was well over 12' in circumference. yeild a lot of cool wood and a lot of garbage. I hauled approximately 30,000 lbs of thet tree to my place and then handling ,milling drying.........on and on. I payed a lot for the pieces I got.

Spault tends to "collapse" during drying, best to sell the stuff green and let the other take the risk on drying defects. The percentage of good and bad wood in a spaulted tree justifies the end price for the good stuff, that is several times market as stated earlier. It is a risky bet if you have good paying grade customers, that why the supply is limited. When it's good its real good, when it's not  it's garbage.
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

pasbuild

This is a gun cabinet that I made with some of the spaulted Maple that I have

I used some highly figured curl and eye for the trim pieces

If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

Burlkraft

Great it's done...... 8) 8) 8)

Did ya want me ta pick it up or are ya gonna ship it.. ???   ???   ???   :D  :D  :D

Nice work.... ;D ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Jeff

Looks Like Pasbuild has become a picture postin MACHINE!

Nice work all around!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

pasbuild

UNTIL I FORGET HOW TO :-\ :-\
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

TexasTimbers

That's a sharp looking gun cabinet. It has a softer look than the standard, too-darkly stained run of the mill gun cabinet. Well done and pleasing to the eye.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

burlman

I have built a few pieces with spalted maple including bedroom sets with spalted panels in a black walnut frame, very effective look. I see it retailing for about $6.00 a bd/ft. turns like it too but you can get different quality depending on how far the decay has proceeded. if it  is to spongy, it will break off on the lathe, a little dangerous to say the least. If I saw a board I usually give it a slight whack on the bunk of the mill and see what flies off or not. then trim  out the good parts. Nwo before you all go out looking for the stuff, beware that spalting is caused by a fungus, and mold. I have read some scary articles on the dust hazards of spalted wood. It is the same bacteria  that bat dung has, it is dormant when the wood is dry ,but can come back to life, when breathed in and contacts the moisture in your lungs. ahrd to get a date with a spalted woody. be careful, work in well ventilated conditions, and wear a respirater

Thank You Sponsors!