iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sensible Chainsaw choice

Started by Surgeon123, July 19, 2016, 04:39:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Surgeon123

Hi folks. I was hoping for a little advice. I've recently built a wood fire pizza oven in my back yard. It's by far one the more challenging projects that I have undertaken to date having limited DIY skills but I am pretty pleased with the result. But I digress. I have access to some maple that would be perfect for fuelling the oven. However, it will be a case of cutting it up myself. So I am in the market for a chainsaw. Chopping up firewood is about all I will be using it for and even  that will be on an infrequent basis. As such, I'd be happy with a used second hand chainsaw as opposed to a brand new one. But I just need some pointers as to what size, power, type, model (excuse my ignorance) would be most suited to this type of task. Any tips will be greatly received.

gspren

It sounds like you just need a friend/neighbor with a chainsaw that also likes pizza. If you are bringing limbs or other small stuff home to cut smaller an electric saw would work, if going to the woods once or twice a year maybe you could try renting a saw a few times before deciding if it's worth owning one. If you never ran a chainsaw before they can be dangerous, be careful.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

dougand3

Depends on diameter of log sawed. Little logs/big limbs - 14" bar will work. I like the electric idea above.
Husky: 372xt, 272xp, 61, 55 (x3)...Poulan: 315, 4218 (x3), 2375, 2150, 2055, 2000 (x3)...Stihl 011AVT...Homelite XL...Saws come in broken, get fixed or parted, find new homes

DelawhereJoe

Don't forget about the battery operated saws, fuel lines can't go bad if there aren't any, and no cord to drag around. I read some reviews on them awhile back and the stihl msc 160 saw beat all the ones they tested for cutting speed and battery life.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Hilltop366

luvmexfood

You sure must like pizza. Oh. The hobbies we have.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

caveman

I run an Echo and several 3 and 5 series Husqvarnas but for your needs, a Poulan with a 14" bar may serve you well.  Mine cut a lot of small wood for a lot of years until I loaned it out.  It was not returned. They can be purchased for much less than a pro saw.  Welcome to the Forestry Forum.  Regardless of what you end up with, if it runs on gas, I would splurge and buy the non-ethanol gas and drain the tank and carburetor if it is going to sit for more than a month.  Also, good two-stroke oil will lead to engine longevity.
Caveman
Caveman

danbuendgen

Quote from: gspren on July 19, 2016, 06:35:12 AM
It sounds like you just need a friend/neighbor with a chainsaw that also likes pizza.
I agree. Your own power saw might not be worth it for such little use. Why not just buy a cord of firewood for your oven? Or even (dare I say) a hand saw for such little cutting, a good hand saw and axe may be the way to go...
Otherwise if you feel that you need your own power saw, anything small would work for you. I would think 50cc or less. I would not pay much attention to the brand, better to buy a saw where there is good service for it. That's why I run all Huskys. There is a good shop in the area that sells and services them. Keep in mind, a power saw can be very dangerous, and can be a hard learning curve. Even just keeping the chain sharp takes a lot of practice. GOOD LUCK.
Husqvarna ~ TimberJack ~ Dodge Cummins

CTYank

More than anything else, I'd suggest you find someone who'll show you the ropes. There's a lot to learn about how to use a power saw safely & productively, and it'd be a big help to you to learn good ways to do things from someone who's been there. Minimizes un-learning bad habits.

Some of the habits you most want involve how to position yourself running a saw so it can't bite you. The more you learn, you'll find, the more there is to learn. No end of fun.

There are some really good gas chainsaws out there that are good values too. Case-in-point: Dolmar cs-421. Best of luck and Welcome! Tell us how it all works out.
'72 blue Homelite 150
Echo 315, SRM-200DA
Poulan 2400, PP5020, PP4218
RedMax GZ4000, "Mac" 35 cc, Dolmar PS-6100
Husqy 576XP-AT
Tanaka 260 PF Polesaw, TBC-270PFD, ECS-3351B
Mix of mauls
Morso 7110

Ada Shaker

Keep it small, Keep it simple, the basic instructions on how to use a small garden saw generally comes with the saw. Be sure to read it. Don't think you need any more than 40cc to run a small pizza oven.
If it hangs to the left, your likely to be a Husqvarna man.
If it hangs to the right, your likely to be a Stihl man.
Anything else is an uncomfortable compromise.
                             AND
Walking with one foot on either side of a barbed wire fence can become extremely uncomfortable at times.

Canadiana

Welcome,  i learned to cut from a friend n family. A person who knows how and cares is invaluable. No other brands can cut and have parts and service like stihl and husqvarna. Maple can be very hard wood. Gas powered is more fun in my opinion. Saws with a displacement of 45 cc or bigger are my choice. About 40 cc seems minimum for good maple. If buying used, removing the muffler allows a view at the piston. If seller does not allow this, that's a deal breaker for me. Keep asking questions and enjoy your undertaking.  There are many others on the forum that have experience i will never catch up to
The saw is more fun than the purpose of the wood... the forest is trembling 🌳

Czech_Made

Pictures? 

I will show you mine if you show me yours  ;D

It is not much, but it sure bakes good pizza and bread  :)

Quote from: Surgeon123 on July 19, 2016, 04:39:41 AM
Hi folks. I was hoping for a little advice. I've recently built a wood fire pizza oven in my back yard. It's by far one the more challenging projects that I have undertaken to date having limited DIY skills but I am pretty pleased with the result. But I digress. I have access to some maple that would be perfect for fuelling the oven. However, it will be a case of cutting it up myself. So I am in the market for a chainsaw. Chopping up firewood is about all I will be using it for and even  that will be on an infrequent basis. As such, I'd be happy with a used second hand chainsaw as opposed to a brand new one. But I just need some pointers as to what size, power, type, model (excuse my ignorance) would be most suited to this type of task. Any tips will be greatly received.

Ox

I would go with one of the cheaper electric saws if you're adamant about cutting it yourself.  It'll be good enough for what you want to do.  I had one a while ago and I loved it.  It just didn't last long enough for me.  They're being made a little different nowadays, maybe they're built better.

I love that oven, Czech!  I had wood fired pizza only once in my life and it was the best darn thing ever.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Czech_Made

Surgeon123

Quote from: Czech_Made on July 20, 2016, 07:04:17 AM
Pictures? 

I will show you mine if you show me yours  ;D

It is not much, but it sure bakes good pizza and bread  :)

I don't have a photo of mine to hand, but it is similar to the one in this photo. I'm pleased with it.

Surgeon123

Thanks for all the advice guys. Especially that regarding safety and training concerns. I hadn't given those aspects the consideration they deserved in all fairness. I'll let you know how I get on.

John Mc

Quote from: Surgeon123 on July 20, 2016, 11:44:19 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys. Especially that regarding safety and training concerns. I hadn't given those aspects the consideration they deserved in all fairness. I'll let you know how I get on.

Have you done much heating/cooking with firewood before?  Lots of good tips in the "Firewood and Wood heating Section".  You'll also find a lot of good stuff on WoodHeat.org
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

starmac

My thoughts are, it doesn't matter what the intended use of the wood is, or really even the quantity you will need. It seems to me that the size of the maple you have access to will be the determining factor as to what size saw you will be needing.

I would think about renting if you are just needing enough wood to feed a pizza oven, unless you eat a lot of pizza. lol
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Bigfoot870

I suggest a new Echo CS-310 ($200 in the USA) and all the correct PPE. The saw has a great warranty and will do everything you need.

John Mc

There are advantages and disadvantages of electric vs gas chainsaws.

Gas is another engine to maintain. If you are using it only occasionally, and are the type who would rather not think about keeping your saw maintained and ready to run, it may not be the choice for you. (Filling the saw with ethanol-based gas, then let it sit for several months can cause problems. Even non-ethanol gas can be an issue. Some of the canned, premixed gas helps address this issue, since it's got a great shelf life, and you don;t have to worry about forgetting to add the mix oil to the gas.) Gas does offer more options for power and weight, plus refueling is almost instant.

Electric chainsaws are extremely reliable. Not much to maintaining them, other than sharpening the chain when needed. I would not own a corded electric chainsaw - the cord gets in the way, and you are limited as to where you can use it. Some of the cordless saws out there now are quite good, if the power range available suits your needs. They are well suited to occasional use, since they don't suffer from being left to sit for extended periods. The downsides: power to weight ratio is not as good as gas saws, they are available in limited sizes (usually the smaller end of the size range - don't let the fact that some come with an 18" bar fool you. If you bury that bar in hardwood, you'll need a lot of patience to make the cut.) Safety can be an issue: many chainsaw chaps are not rated for use with electric saws. This is because they work by clogging up the saw and stalling out the engine. Electric motors keep trying to spin as long as the trigger is pulled, and they still have a lot of torque available even if they are at a standstill (unlike gas engines). Perhaps the new electric saws have some safety features to overcome this, but it's something to think about and ask your dealer (my knowledge of electric saws may be somewhat out of date).

For frequent use, particularly when used for extended sawing sessions, gas gets the edge in my book. For Occasional use, especially for shorter periods and on smaller wood, electric may be just what you need.

If cleaning up after a storm is an issue for you (particularly when the power is out), consider the relative merits and likelihood of have mixed chainsaw fuel available (and whether your saw will be in good running order) vs having enough charged batteries to get you through what needs to be done.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

ppine

I hate electric chainsaws.  They tend to be poorly made and are not as dependable as you would think.

It does not take much fuel to run a pizza oven. I would invest in some quality hand saws made to cut wood with large raker teeth and lots of set.  It is a pleasure to use such equipment and it always starts.
Forester

John Mc

Quote from: ppine on July 21, 2016, 11:02:44 AM
I hate electric chainsaws.  They tend to be poorly made and are not as dependable as you would think.

That used to be the case for just about every electric chainsaw. It's no longer true. Yes, there are cheap pieces of junk out there, but there are also some decent saws. If you are looking to replace a 562XP, forget it, but for lighter work, they can be a decent option in some applications.

motohed

Man , I love pizza from a wood fired  oven , I use to supply firewood for a pizza oven about an 1 1/2 hours from my house , he wanted hickory , apple , cherry , wood . It was a good gig , till fuel prices went crazy . I still manage get there 2 or 3 times a year . He is still trying to get me to commit too bring the wood . It's just not cost effective for me . He uses 4 to 6 cords a month . some times more . It's a business for him . He's having a hard time getting the types of wood that make the pizza flavour taste good .

Thank You Sponsors!