iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tire Chains

Started by ohiowoodchuck, July 18, 2016, 10:09:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ohiowoodchuck

Can you cut a set of chains down to fit a smaller tire and is it worth the trouble. Got a friend who has a set from a cat and was wanting a set for my 440 because it's a fair deal. Didn't know if it's worth fooling with.
Education is the best defense against the media.

Gary_C

Anything can be done if you have the tools and time. Wether it can be done easily depends on a lot of factors you haven't disclosed. Thing like width change, diameter change, and type of chains (crossbars).

There is no manual for this type of change so it's going to be trial and error.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

danbuendgen

I was just given a set of ice chains off a 518 Cat cable skidder, tire size 24.5-32.... I cut them down to fit my 23.1-26 tires on my 240 Timberjack. I use a angle grinder with a cut off wheel. Works good. Took about 3 hours to take off the old chains, put on the "new" ice chains, and cut them to fit, and get them tighted up. Worth in in my opinion. Keep in mind, the 2 sizes I just mentioned are not too far off in width, but much different in height. If the width is way off, you will have much more of a project...
Husqvarna ~ TimberJack ~ Dodge Cummins

coxy

18-4-34  and 23.1-26 are the same chain   and ya 24.5 to a 23.1 is not bad but if you go 23.1 to 16.9 30 or 18.4 26 your going to be there for a long  time not worth it in my book  and a  23.1-26 will fit a 28-L also if your in a pinch

Corley5

I cut a set of ice chains down to fit the 18.4X26s on my Iron Mule.  I've still got them.  I don't what size they were meant for but we cut quite a lot out of them and it was time consuming but I got the pair really cheap at an auction.  Like a $125.00 cheap 8)  They were worn but still very serviceable and good enough to put the time into  :) :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

danbuendgen

Quote from: coxy on July 18, 2016, 05:15:05 PM
18-4-34  and 23.1-26 are the same chain
Are you sure they are the same? When I look at new tire chain prices, the 23.1-26 are a bit more money. I have a buddy with 23.1-26 on his 240, he runs 18.4-34 chains, and they don't "wrap" around the tire are far as mine do...

ohiowoodchuck

He is going to send me pics tomorrow of them. I'd have to look at mine and see what size my tires are. He thought they have one big ring in the center. That and all he said were they was off a cat.

Ed_K

My single diamond ice chains came as 18.4-34  23.1-26 and they fit nicely. Their 1/2 worn down now so I have 1/2" clevis  all over the sides to tighten them up. If you look at the side chains count between the crosses you'll find some are 4 rings between and some are 5,that's where you tighten the sides up. For awhile anyway.
Ed K

danbuendgen

Quote from: ohiowoodchuck on July 18, 2016, 06:46:35 PM
He is going to send me pics tomorrow of them. I'd have to look at mine and see what size my tires are. He thought they have one big ring in the center. That and all he said were they was off a cat.

You might have the 18.4-34 if you have a 440JD. What size Cat skidder does he have?

xalexjx

just use a torch and cut them down to fit and tighten them up
Logging and Processed Firewood

ohiowoodchuck

I'm not sure if he knows he just said they was on a cat with a wide tire. Not to be ignorant but how do you tighten them up. Weld in quick links when you cut links out?

danbuendgen

Quote from: ohiowoodchuck on July 18, 2016, 08:42:41 PM
Not to be ignorant but how do you tighten them up. Weld in quick links when you cut links out?

No no no. No welding required at all....
I'm not good at explaining, unless in person... But, You will need to get a hold of some clevises/shackles (same difference) and ideally a tire chain tightener. Don't buy the cheap clevises, get the good ones. The cheap ones don't tent to hold up well... Once the chains are cut to fit your tire size, Basically you take the slack out of the side of the tires chains. And use the clevis to attach the chains together.
I have had good luck with these: http://www.tirechainsrequired.com/collections/tire-chain-tools/products/g200-g200-super-jack-chain-tightener
And good luck with these: http://www.qcctraction.com/products/tools-and-accessories/2506hd-installation-tools.html With this type, you can use a socket wrench, I use a impact and it goes FAST!
Try youtube maybe someone has a little video on how to tighten up skidder chains. Or someone who is good at putting thoughts on paper can chime in.
If the chains are new, I get them wicked tight. As tight as possible. They will last a lot longer. A good trick to get chains tight, let 1/2 the air out of the tire, tighten up your chains as tight as possible, and add air. Like 40-50 pounds depending on size and manufactures recommendations. They will be so tight, they wont move a hair. If the chains are worn out, I keep them loose, this way when links break off, you can easily add in a clevis. GOOD LUCK.

ohiowoodchuck

these have the big ring in the center.

danbuendgen

Quote from: ohiowoodchuck on July 19, 2016, 11:39:05 AM
these have the big ring in the center.
I would call those "ring chains" or "hoop chains" some call them "bear paws" others say "Canadians". They tighten up the same as ice chains do. Ring chains are good in deep snow or mud. Wicked aggressive, make for a rougher ride then the ice picks.

coxy

don't get ring chains from a bigger skidder the jd will not have the weight to sink them  and my be to heavy for the skidder

Ed_K

Straighten them out length ways and find the middle. Cut them there, that way you'll have the original ends to hook together each time you need to take them off. Hook the ends together, tie a rope to one side,then thru the rim (if you have a hole in the rim) if not run the rope up over tire lug and back to the other side chain. Drive skidder ahead slow and move the chain back and forth to center the big rings. Go all the way around, as the chains come up the back they will stay tight and you can then see were they need to be cut. Should end up with 2 clevices on the big rings 2 on the side chains and you may have 2 or 4 cross length's to deal with.
I did this by myself in 2 hrs both sides. It's way easier with the rope  8) .
Ed K

ohiowoodchuck

Then didn't look that wide in the picture. I sent him a picture and he thought it had the same size tires.

BargeMonkey

I've got a 3/4% 23.1 bear paw laying in my yard I got out of a woodpile if that helps you at all ? Ny 12076   only got 1. They managed to retrieve the other one.  :D

danbuendgen

What do you need to get for those 23.1-26 ring chains? Just to be clear, do you have one set for 2 tires or one chain for one tire? I don't think I'm too far away. I might be interested in it...

RHP Logging

Heavy ratchet straps work great as a cheap alternative to chain tighteners. I put different hooks on my straps and shortened them up best that I could. I can get the chains super tight with em.
Buckin in the woods

Ed_K

That's a good idea  :) . You can keep the strap right there but out of the way so you can work, with my home made handiman jack it is alway in the way.
Ed K

BargeMonkey

Quote from: danbuendgen on July 20, 2016, 07:10:52 AM
What do you need to get for those 23.1-26 ring chains? Just to be clear, do you have one set for 2 tires or one chain for one tire? I don't think I'm too far away. I might be interested in it...
1x chain about 60-70%. The local log bandits got thrown off a job and couldn't retrieve this chain from the woodpile. Came with the load of firewood. If someone had a sister to it would be worth while. Im 1hr southwest of Albany.

HiTech

I saw a barrel of skidder chains ( a pair) and the sign on them stated they would fit !8.4 x 34 or 23.1 x 26. I have a pair of 18.4 x 34 chains on the back of my skidder that has 18.4 x 26 tires on it. They are ring chains or bear paws and I just cut two (2) rings out out of each one. They fit perfect now.

Thank You Sponsors!