iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I can probably have it if I want it, But do I ?

Started by Norwiscutter, November 08, 2004, 06:40:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norwiscutter

Here are some pictures of a mathews mill, circia 1975-80 ish that looks complete... a complete project that is.  I could probably get it for next to nothing or nothing. The people are ready to take it to the scrap yard.  I need another mill like I need a hole in the head...but on the other hand, if it is good to have one mill, it might be great to have two.  What do you guys think?
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Tom

I'm of the opinion that stuff can rust away in my yard as good as it can in someone else's.  Or, treasures from the refuse piles on the road bring to mind "I can throw it away too, if I want".

My wife doesn't understand. :D

Buzz-sawyer

ARE YOU kiddin me...........do you have to even ask.....I would have it home in 2 minutes.I get it while the gettins good..... :D
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Bruce_A

If it doesn't eat or talk, It sounds like the price is right.

J_T

If I had an offer like that I would leave now to get it  8) Call up me some help and go shucks it only 11:00 at night here. ;D
Jim Holloway

Norwiscutter

here is another picture, don't know if that helps at all but what the hey!

Norwiscutter

Norwiscutter

sorry that I keep posting two pictures... i will try and fix that.

J_T

Jim Holloway

rbarshaw

Been doing so much with so little for so long I can now do anything with nothing, except help from y'all!
By the way rbarshaw is short for Robert Barshaw.
My Second Mill Is Shopbuilt 64HP,37" wheels, still a work in progress.

Ianab

Lil would say that 'One sawmill is enough'....

But that is like saying 'one router/chainsaw is all you need....'

;)
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

karl

Looks like money in the mattress to me
If it ain't no good as a mill, what can I make with the parts?

Ok, I have analysed the pros and cons and find no reason to not git it.

"I ask for wisdom and strength, Not to be superior to my brothers, but to be able to fight my greatest enemy, myself"  - from Ojibwa Prayer.

MULE_MAN

I would go ahead & get it ! Even if you don't have time now, to restore it later on down the road you might & you will always be kicking yourself in the Butt for not getting it when you had the chance !   ;D Well that's my 2 cents worth  8)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25 with Simple Setworks, debatker, 580 CASE backhoe

Norwiscutter

Sorry, it's a medow's.  I told him I would come and get it off his property, but wouldn't be able to give him nothing for it.  He said he kind of felt like he had to get something for it.  I told him that for the work involved, It really wasn't worth much for me, but that maybe I could find someone interested.  I don't have time or money to buy it and get the thing up and going right now. Kind a stinks though... I had dreams of sawing cants with the circle mill then resawing with the bandmill last night. What do you guys think? is it worth offering 500 bucks or something?  Every part that moves is going to have to be replaced for sure... the bearings, pillow blocks etc.  The seals on the hydrolics are surely done, as well as the lines themselves. The setworks seamed to be rather loose and would need tinkering that I am not sure I could do.  It was run off a 35 horse three phase motor, as was the hydrolics and dust conveyer. These motors all are 20+ years old so I wouldn't put much faith on any of them. of course, I don't have three phase anyway, but have been looking for an excuse to get it. The way I figured it was that if I could get it for nothing, I could let it sit and work on it later, but now that an investment is required, I am a lot less enthused.
He has decieded that he will part it out and try to get what he can out of it. The thing is, the guy lives six hours away, down in the flatlands ;), and is going to drive up, move it do a different spot up here, and then go back down and deal with the problem later.  I know it is going to spend the rest of it's life rotting away in the woods, but what is a guy going to do? He said that he could get 500.00 for the blade, which is a 42 inch inset tooth, but it looked pretty dang rusty to me for 500 bucks.  Of course, I really don't know what something like that would go for on the salvage market, so maybe I am the one that is way off.  

Jeff

Well, in these parts, at least lately, you can buy the big mills at sawmill auctions in working condition for pennys on the dollar. I personally, would not give 500 for it unless I knew somebody that had one just like it that I could sell parts to. :)

If it was free, and I had a method of getting it, for free, then I would.  Now if it was older complete historic mill that included a saw, that would be different.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Buzz-sawyer

$500....nope
If that blade has been  in the weather for over a year .....you may spend that much at the saw doctor. I would pay him junk price/tonnage for it all though.
If the carriage is decent, and the blade is usable maybe 2-3 hundred MAYBE ;) its too ruff and needs too much love
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Norwiscutter

Thanks guys,  it is tough to make a call sometimes when you are thinking about the end  potential only.  I really don't need a project like this but when it started out, it looked like he just wanted it off his property. I figured that maybe it was worth the time to pick it up, but I think that once he saw that I was kinda interested, he kinda changed his mind.

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

Funny how that happens with hoomin beeins.
Phil L.
Bi-VacAtional:  Piano tuner and sawyer.  (Use one to take a vacation from the other.) Have two Stihl 090s, one Stihl 075, Echo CS8000, Echo 346,  two Homely-ite 27AVs, Peterson 10" Swingblade Winch Production Frame, 36" and 54"Alaskan mills, and a sore back.

iain

Me thinks your conscience is bothering you. So send me the $500 smackers if it helps you out of a jam ;D.
Have it if you want it, but you got your work cut out, along with your wallet empted on parts.

iain

Thank You Sponsors!