iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Picked up a new Stihl MS362CM

Started by dirtmover1250, July 18, 2016, 02:54:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dirtmover1250

Hi all, long time since ive posted, but I figured i'd show this new saw, I noticed it has changed a bit. Not sure what all the changes are.

I decided to pick up my 2nd saw. I like my 180 but as others have speculated, eventually folks like to move up to a bigger saw. So I chose the 362 for bar length and cost. Also power to weight ratio. Im looking to try out out soon.

I had the saw configured the way I wanted before it left the dealer. Ahead of time i picked up some new dog spikes from ebay to replace the worthless ones that come on the saw, and i kept them. Also had the chain swapped out for an RS chain. Its got a 20" bar. Later on I plan to get the longer bar for it, 24 or 25". The stihl site says it will pull a 25 but the dealer shows he can get a 24?

Im thinking about getting the wrap handle for it. I got 2 different stores from 2 different dealers. Do you have to order the saw like that or is it a kit?

Also anyone have any ideas for a carrying case? With the dog spikes on there it wont fit in the stihl case. So i'd rather do without the case rather then loose the dogs. I dont think cutting the case would help any because im afraid it will hold water either in the shell or inside. Mainly I use the case for carrying it in the pickup truck and storage, weather it be keeping the rain off of it or keeping it from getting beat up on the shelf.

Stihl MS180C, 16" bar
Stihl MS362CM, 20" bar

DelawhereJoe

After around 5 tanks of fuel you will be very happy with it, I'm very happy with mine. A 24"/25" bar in on my list for this week, I have 2 oaks on the list to come down one 30" and one around 26"-27". The oiler on them I'm not impressed with tho, I'm thinking of upgrading it to one from a larger saw, think I read somewhere an oiler from a 460 will fit it.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Ada Shaker

Generally we bolt down stihl lockable tool boxes to the back of our utes, and hope no one comes at it with a crow bar or battery grinder. If your using it to and fro it's not so bad, just don't leave anything expensive in it. A bit of fuel and some oil isn't so bad. Just fashion up a wooden base for the saw to sit on with compartments etc... for fuel, oil, wedges, axe, etc...
I like the spikes, mine are just the standard that came with it. The exhaust can get quite hot so watch for burning of fibrous bark when cutting. The  saw's solid state so theres no tinkering with it really, at least not yet. Maybe in a few years time we might come across performance modules in the aftermarket department, anyones guess. They're a nice saw, I find 20" bar is about our limit for our hard woods, anything bigger will probably bog it down but if you have soft woods it might be a different kettle of fish. Hope you enjoy it with many trouble free years.
If it hangs to the left, your likely to be a Husqvarna man.
If it hangs to the right, your likely to be a Stihl man.
Anything else is an uncomfortable compromise.
                             AND
Walking with one foot on either side of a barbed wire fence can become extremely uncomfortable at times.

dirtmover1250

what else should i know about this saw? all i know is what my dealer tells me, that this version has changed since the beginning of the year. something to do with the engine and some other things, but he didnt go into specifics.
Stihl MS180C, 16" bar
Stihl MS362CM, 20" bar

Tom King

I expect it will be easy to stall that saw with the big spikes.  I tried them on my 036, and took them back off.  They're nice on an 066 though.

DelawhereJoe

I couldn't get mine to stall doing a full bar cut on a red maple, I  was trying to push it to its limit but backed off before I broke a mount or handle. I've stopped the chain on my 041 before doing a full bar cut.

SawTroll

Quote from: dirtmover1250 on July 18, 2016, 02:54:30 AM..... .

Its got a 20" bar. Later on I plan to get the longer bar for it, 24 or 25". The stihl site says it will pull a 25 but the dealer shows he can get a 24?

25" in Stihl vocabulary is the same as 24" in anyone elses - the dl count is the same (84 in 3/8"). Anyway, it is a long bar on that saw.
Information collector.

Paul_H

QuoteAnyway, it is a long bar on that saw.

Not if you know what you're doing. Many around here have been pleased with the 25" bar.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Ada Shaker

Quote from: dirtmover1250 on July 18, 2016, 06:49:25 PM
what else should i know about this saw? all i know is what my dealer tells me, that this version has changed since the beginning of the year. something to do with the engine and some other things, but he didnt go into specifics.

I didn't know there were version numbers on these saws, always thought they were model number specific. Though they do mention that there may be changes or improvents from time to time in their manual. Occasionally drawings get updated back at the factory where they make them and are usually given a revision letter but are usually for minor updates and the updates are generally backward compatible. Discrete electronic components may be available this year from a supplier but sourced from another the following year. Might depend on contractual agreements with suppliers also. Don't think stihl or any other chainsaw manufacturer would be in the business of making their own discrete electronic components. Most likely outsourced, circuit designed in house and assembled in house as a module, then fitted to saws. There are generally multiple suppliers of the same components word wide, if that sort of makes sense, though these days components are coming out as integrated circuits on the one chip. I wouldn't expect huge changes without a model number change or similar discriptive change (such as electronic quickstop or similar). Most modules are also resin filled these days so there's nothing serviceable in them really.
                             AND
Walking with one foot on either side of a barbed wire fence can become extremely uncomfortable at times.

The Diesel

I bought the MS362 CM specifically to have a saw that will run a 25" bar and it is a beast.  I am really surprised when I hear people say the 362 CM will not handle a 25" bar because I have cut up chords of oak and red elm for firewood and the thing is a beast.  3-4 days a month cutting for 6+ hours a day for the last 3 months.  I bought it with the 25 and also a 20 to switch out but I have not even used the 20" yet.  I am thinking about picking up a MS201tcm with a 16" bar for the small stuff.

I have about 1k acres and use the saw to cut firewood for the cabin we use for hunting and clearing trails in NW IL.

For years we used craftsman and my dad broke down and bought an MS261CM and we have run that hard for 2+ years and that is a beast saw but we needed something that would run a 25" bar for the big stuff we come across once in a while.  So I bought the 362 cm for $649 and the Russo's in IL lets you choose any bar at no charge so I picked the 25" since it is more expensive and bought a 20" that I figured I would run most of the time and just put the 25" on when I needed it but I like the 25" and havent seen a need to switch.  No skip tooth and I have had the bar buried in oak.  We took down a 48" diameter dead oak that was standing.

The switch from Craftsman to Stihl is really amazing in the speed of cutting and reliability starting.  I think I have that chainsaw addiction now.

As a side - Unless the saw has been sitting for a week I always try a couple pulls to start in run position. and especially if I just used the saw they day before.  It normally starts.  Use the choke sparely or you will flood it.  I also turned the oiler all the way up. 

The stihl dealer actually said and showed me on their computer (because I didnt believe them) that stihl now has extended the MS362CM up to 28" bar.

DelawhereJoe

Maybe with a full skip chain, not sure if the oiler would keep up. My old 026 will sling oil off a 20" chain, my new 362 c-m doesn't sling any off an 18 with the oiler turned up all the way.

btulloh

I'm running a 25" bar on the 362 and thought the chain looked too dry.  Definitely not slinging oil, which didn't seem right to me.  Took in to the dealer (good trustworthy dealer) and he said Stihl cut way back on the amount of oil due to EPA regs.  It's supposed to be enough oil, but won't sling oil any more.  Seems to be ok, but I always felt better when a saw slung some oil and the chain ran pretty wet.  I guess I'll see how the bar wears.  Anything to save the planet I reckon.  ;)
HM126

HolmenTree

No disrespect to the OP but I can only say installing oversize dogs, 25" b/c on a MS362 with thoughts of a full wrap handle is only wishing for a bigger saw.
Sure a 25" on the saw will get it done if you're taking your time. But the 20" will greatly improve the ergonomics and versatility of the saw what it's designed for, especially in the deep woods of Indiana  ;)
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Ada Shaker

Personally, I found the 20" bar about the limit for balance (a little nose heavy, can't remember if fuelled up or not),  and starts to bog down a little in some decent sized eucalyptus around here. If its dry its a little easier but green wood has a tendency of grabbing onto the chain, either that or those pesky termites are holding hands again. I would imagine a 25" bar might tip the bar further. Have to admit, never tried oak but saws plum really well, as its not so gummy, and quite dry. Might just depend on what your cutting to what size bar might suit you best.  Anything bigger, and I have to bring the persuader out.
                             AND

The Diesel

With the 25" bar the saw sits flat with bar off ground but would tip easy.  Oiler has not been problem for me.  Chain isn't dripping but IMO it gets enough.  About 1 oil tank per gas tank. I haven't used the 20" bar yet.  25" makes for less bending over.
I just don't cut enough big wood to justify a 15 lb saw.  This one is easier on my 70 year old dad when I am not around and he needs a 25er.

It is a heck of a saw.  The 261cm is also an awesome machine.

Ada Shaker

Quote from: The Diesel on August 04, 2016, 08:29:49 AM
With the 25" bar the saw sits flat with bar off ground but would tip easy.  Oiler has not been problem for me.  Chain isn't dripping but IMO it gets enough.  About 1 oil tank per gas tank. I haven't used the 20" bar yet.  25" makes for less bending over.
I just don't cut enough big wood to justify a 15 lb saw.  This one is easier on my 70 year old dad when I am not around and he needs a 25er.

It is a heck of a saw.  The 261cm is also an awesome machine.

Yep, I was looking at the 260 series saws when I started looking but these guys put me onto the right track with the 360 series instead. Still nice and light, not much more weight than the 260 series, and a little more grunt. Beats cutting a trailer load of firewood using a 090 hands down. I intend on using the 362 along with an old echo 510 as a backup I've managed to pick up at a local garage sale for a good price. I think the echo has had an easy life in the past and seems to get better the more I use it, I know it sounds strange. The 090 will probably see little use and only when really necessary, I'm not getting any younger. I'll be looking at raising the wood b4 I cut it in the near future just to make it a little easier. I hear ya, getting older is the pits.
                             AND

Walt

Hey dirtmover, what part of Indiana you at???  Were in the Wabash Valley area....Owensburg
MS461R, MS290, MS170, Homelite XL, Dirty Hand Tools 27T splitter, Kubota B20 FEL&BH, Timberjack Woodchuck, US Stove Co. 2421 for heat. Too many Wheel Horse Garden Tractors..

pwrwagontom

I got an MS 362CM last July, and am very happy with it.  I have a 24" for larger stuff, but I have used a 20" 99% of the time, and that's what I normally keep on it.  I think it's pretty well balanced with this set up.

I have found however, that when it's running hot, for example heavy use on 90+ degree days, it can be a little hard to start. A friend in the tree care business told me that he has noticed the same.
Never give an inch

DelawhereJoe

Finally got around to picking up my stihl 25" bar got it for $66...new from an Ace hardware...what do you guys normally spend on them ?

The Diesel

That isnt a bad price.  I paid $52 for bar and $32 for chain for 20".  I think the 25" was right around what you paid.

dirtmover1250

Quote from: Walt on August 04, 2016, 09:28:53 AM
Hey dirtmover, what part of Indiana you at???  Were in the Wabash Valley area....Owensburg

im in indianapolis.

ive ran 2 tanks through it so far, i like the saw. im happy with how it does on the 20". still yet to get a 25. when i was doing my homework on the saw the other dealer told me you can run a 28" as well, but not all the time. probably best for if you had to get the tree on the ground, then use the smaller bar for the rest of the work.

i find the oiler to be stingy as well. the first time i used it i noticed the sprocket was a bit sticky, so i turned the oiler up all the way. now it seems to be getting enough, but it is a bit dry. i too would rather see the saw sling oil. after all they make biodegradable b/c oil.

word of advice about the dogs, those farmtec ones are junk, already starting to bend on the tips. i might get the piltz ones next, like i got on my 180. then again i might try the stock dogs, atleast it will fit in the case that way.
Stihl MS180C, 16" bar
Stihl MS362CM, 20" bar

Thank You Sponsors!