iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Kiln Pics

Started by karl, November 08, 2004, 05:51:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karl

Wus loadin' the kiln this morn and decided to take some pics.

It's an 18' insulated truck box with a Nyle 150 hotrodded to 2 hp. Supplimental heat is from wood boiler thru homemade heat exchanger.

That little box to the rt of door is "control room"

check out that stickering job- good job RL.

How 'bout that - looks cleaner in the pics ;)

Heat exchanger is visible behind fan, valves are my lo-tech heat control until I hookup zone valves
"I ask for wisdom and strength, Not to be superior to my brothers, but to be able to fight my greatest enemy, myself"  - from Ojibwa Prayer.

DanG

Nice rig, Karl. Thanks for posting the pics. :)  I'd like to hear more about how it performs.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Brad_S.

Ditto what DanG said. :)
I thought about a cart but decided to build a chamber loadable from the front. Haven't actually done it yet, kiln is presently in an old flash freezer and loading it is time consuming. Any how, I'd be interested in seeing cart close ups just out of curiosity. ;D
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Ga_Boy

Sweet 8)

That is a nice looking set up.  
10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

UNCLEBUCK

Hey karl , thats awesome !  how hot can you get it and how long did it take to dry that stack of lumber in the picture. thanks :P
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

karl

Buck,
Pretty sure that the boiler would heat it to 185+ and the elec+the motors and compressor could take it a few more to whatever the resets on the fans are set for. Wanna bake some cookies? ;)
I usually set pitch@ 150 or so.
That load is about 1100' of EWCedar- don't usually dry that- guy needs it NOW for t+g.  Took 5 days, will come out tomorrow and last charge in.

1500' 4/4 pine off the saw- avg nine days, could push it to eight or less maybe.

Brad, try to remember to take a pic of cart when we pull it- it ain't much, but it works.
Copy that on being able to fork it right in- got a plan I drew up 'round here someplace. Cart is better than hand loading and I can't build a new kiln for the $500. I got in the box!
"I ask for wisdom and strength, Not to be superior to my brothers, but to be able to fight my greatest enemy, myself"  - from Ojibwa Prayer.

Thank You Sponsors!