iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timberking B20 question/advice

Started by Dozer, July 17, 2016, 05:51:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dozer

Hey all; new to the forum.  We've owned a B-20 for around 6 or 7 years now.  My father generally runs the mill, but due to an illness, I'm taking over control.  Unfortunately he can't even be around the mill when it's in operation, due to the wood dust.

I have so many questions and advice, but I guess I'll just start somewhere :-)  I've read on some posts that several members have been running B-20's for a long period of time, including Ladylake.

Anyways, my first concern is regarding the Carriage speed control knob.  It doesn't seem to work; according to dad, it's never worked.  I was wondering if anyone has run into this before and could maybe give me some general ideas as to what to troubleshoot.

It's tough because I'm only cutting on weekends, so I don't have access to the mill during the week, but any advice would help.

Thanks!  And it's great to meet everyone!

tnaz

Can't help, but welcome.  Also hoping your Dad finds a way to get back to the mill.

Good Luck in both,

Terry

ladylake

Hold the first lever all the way ahead then when turning the speed control the head should go from barely moving to real fast, if not give Mike a TK a call, he knows the B20 real good.  In 12000 hours I've had to replace a $50 part in the speed control.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Dozer

Quote from: ladylake on July 17, 2016, 06:17:13 PM
Hold the first lever all the way ahead then when turning the speed control the head should go from barely moving to real fast, if not give Mike a TK a call, he knows the B20 real good.  In 12000 hours I've had to replace a $50 part in the speed control.  Steve

Thanks, Steve; nice to meet you.

I tried that over the weekend with no luck, so I'll have to call Mike.  Will keep you posted.

Ga Mtn Man

Welcome Dozer. 

I can't imagine how your Dad was sawing without feed speed control. ??? ???
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Dozer.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

killamplanes

Ya I couldn't imagining running without speed control. I am always using it. But I'm pretty sure it will be an easy and probably inexpensive Fix. I believe you will fall in love with the mill even more when the problem is resolve...
jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

ladylake

The first lever will also  control the speed by pushing it a little or a lot but using the twist control is more precise and easier . When sawing by myself I'll lock the first lever all the way ahead adjust the speed with the twist knob and stack lumber or cut up slabs when making longer wider cuts.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

killamplanes

jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

redbeard

Welcome Dozer, TK will hook you up with your speed controller problem. Where you located? What year is your mill?
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

crowhill

As basic as it may seem be sure the set screw of the speed control knob is tight. Sometimes those little things will fool ya! Welcome to the forum.
TimberKing B-20, Kubota M-4900 w/FEL with tooth bar, hyd thumb and forks, Farmi winch, 4 chain saws.

Dozer

Quote from: redbeard on July 18, 2016, 11:11:10 AM
Welcome Dozer, TK will hook you up with your speed controller problem. Where you located? What year is your mill?

Located in downstate NY. 

Didn't think of the set screw; I'll take a look.

And yea Ladylake, that's what I've been doing (feathering the lever) it's just tough to get a steady cut  :D

Dozer

Quote from: redbeard on July 18, 2016, 11:11:10 AM

Redbeard, I believe the Mill is from 2008.  I unfortunately don't know exactly, but it's approximately 8 years old.

Dozer

But just to give you guys a little more info; it's a hydraulic speed control knob; it seems to not adjust the speed at all when the lever is pushed all the way forward; I think there's an issue with the valve itself.  Any suggestions on how to get a new one?  I can't seem to find the part anywhere online.  Do I have to call TK?

TimGA

Dozer,
          Cal TK they won't bite!  They will trouble shoot with you on the phone, have you going in no time. If possible ask for Mike he cut his teeth on those mills. Welcome to the forum.
                                           Tim
TK2000, Kubota L3130GST, grapple, pallet forks, 2640 Massey w/loader (The Beast) Husky saws Logrites One man operation some portable most stationary.

Thank You Sponsors!