iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dead Ash

Started by Autocar, July 17, 2016, 03:08:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Autocar

We are still able to cut ash around here, the job I just finished Saturday was one of my best ash jobs. The farmer said he would like fire wood logs so no problem. They averaged three 16 foot logs with a pallet log on top of that. There was another log on top of that I left on the tops for his fire wood. The butts averaged 400 bd.ft. I took a picture of one load just because it was so pretty  :D . Next summer God willing he wants me to come back and cut some red oak out. The last time any logs were sold was 1963 and it was all walnut he told me. Sure would of liked to seen some of them.
Bill

Bert

Can you sell the ash butts? My buyer wont take it if it died of EAB. Cut a bunch last year and figured i'd get the rest this summer but the leaves never came back on. :'(
Saw you tomorrow!

Autocar

Yes we can sell all three logs off the tree to a handle factory north of me but I sell more local to a pallet mill that saws farm lumber ect. Its hard for me to think you can't sell your ash to pallet mills that saw blocking ect out of it if it is to far along.
Bill

Bert

I just have two grades of logs. I sell the good stuff like veneers and prime saw logs, and saw the rest on our mill for pallet material and blocking. Hate to see these ash trees go to pallets but thats where they will be headed.
Saw you tomorrow!

Sassafras73

in stands of ash with a fair amount of mortality you have to watch for signs of ambrosia beetle in the butt logs. Look for sawdust at the base of the tree, especially late spring thru late fall (by winter it will be washed away and not be as easy to see).  Even some trees that are still alive can have ambrosia beetle in them. Ambrosia beetle itself won't ruin the structural wood properties for pallet/tie/blocking but will negate grade value and can jump into other cut logs as they dry and become susceptible.  Here is Ohio there are stands where more than half of the ash is dead yet most will still saw decent grade lumber, while other stands with a similar amount of mortality are chocked full of ambrosia beetle and cut horribly.
WM LT15GO25HP; Forester

Thank You Sponsors!