iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What blades do you use for pine logs?

Started by Dave989, July 17, 2016, 09:52:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave989

I have a woodmizer LT 40 super hydrollic with 42 hp diesel engine. I cut a lot of pine logs and would like to know what type of blade you use for pine logs and what tooth set. What are pros and cons of different blades? I am currently using 10 degree bimetal blades but am having issues with resharpening. I was wondering about the 7 degree turbo? Has anyone used those for sawing pine?
Check out our Facebook page Timber Beast Sawmilling.
Dave and Hannah

Joe Hillmann

I just use 10 degree blades but they have to be sharp.  I have found that long after a blade isn't sharp enough to cut straight in pine it still works like in new in most hardwoods.

Magicman

10° has always been my go-to blade for SYP, but recently I have accumulated a nice stash of 7° Turbo's which may gradually become my primary blade.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dave Shepard

I've sawn quite a bit with the Turbos. I like them, but you have to push the blade. If you go too slow, you will probably get a poor cut.  I've cut a couple of hundred thousand feet of white pine with the DiubleHard tens, and they also do well.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Chuck White

I've always used Wood-Mizer 10° Double-Hards with good performance in everything I've sawn, even hardwoods!

I know there are better choices for hardwood, but the 10's do fine with what I saw!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

bkaimwood

bk

Dave989

Dave and Hannah

terrifictimbersllc

Started with 10s, now using 7s.  4s work but I find they get wavy sooner esp. on wide cuts in pine.  Haven't tried turbo 7s yet. Sharp is everything when knotty.
All mine are 1-1/4", 0.045, double hard.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

slider

I have used 10's for years.Then i started sharpening them back to 8's which seemed to help in knotty pine.A while back i went to 4"s to see if they would help in the knotty stuff .I can"t push as hard but they do seem to perform better in the knotty logs.I run 55"s at 30 but i have more than enough power so it"s not a problem running that much set.As others have said ,keep them sharp.
al glenn

woodmills1

.055 7 degree regular is my all around blade.  I buy them set for pine, not sure of set but prob .030 or so.  I use and sharpen 2, 3 times then use only for hardwood.  I only set when they just won't cut straight when sharp.  They will cut hardwood out of the box but leave a lot of sawdust on the boards.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

AnthonyW

I cut almost entirely eastern white pine. I started with 10* 0.042 WM blades, but rarely got more than two hours from a blade. For my next box, I changed to 7* 0.042 blades. They last at least twice a long. I recently obtained a variety pack of 0.045 thick blades in a private sale. Some 4, 7, 7 Turbo, 9, and 10 degree blades. I look forward to trying them all out. I tried the 7 Turbo's yesterday, in fact. Unfortunately, the cuts were very wavey. I don't know if it was the blades or something else. I put on one of my new regular 7* blades and it cut well all day. I'm sending the 7 Turbos along with some other blades to be checked and resharpened. I will await the results from the retest, but I don't know if the will be better. I only made one pass with each of the three 7* turbo blades and there are fibers caught on most of the teeth. I suspect the taller tooth of the 7* turbo may not be good for cutting EWP.
'97 Wood-Mizer LT25 All Manual with 15HP Kohler

ladylake

Quote from: AnthonyW on July 18, 2016, 01:22:09 PM
I cut almost entirely eastern white pine. I started with 10* 0.042 WM blades, but rarely got more than two hours from a blade. For my next box, I changed to 7* 0.042 blades. They last at least twice a long. I recently obtained a variety pack of 0.045 thick blades in a private sale. Some 4, 7, 7 Turbo, 9, and 10 degree blades. I look forward to trying them all out. I tried the 7 Turbo's yesterday, in fact. Unfortunately, the cuts were very wavey. I don't know if it was the blades or something else. I put on one of my new regular 7* blades and it cut well all day. I'm sending the 7 Turbos along with some other blades to be checked and resharpened. I will await the results from the retest, but I don't know if the will be better. I only made one pass with each of the three 7* turbo blades and there are fibers caught on most of the teeth. I suspect the taller tooth of the 7* turbo may not be good for cutting EWP.

How deep is the gullet between the 10, regular 7, turbo 7 and the 4.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

reswire

I recently cut both poplar and various species of pine with the turbo 7's.  I was really impressed with the performance compared to the 10 degree blades.  The finished product had no waves, seemed to cut more easily, and of course made the customer VERY happy!  That's always a good day when the customer is happy! 8)
Norwood LM 30, JD 5205, some Stihl saws, 15 goats, 10 chickens, 1 Chessie and a 2 Weiner dogs...

GDinMaine

I use 7 (regular) for soft woods and poplar, 4s for general hardwood cutting and 9 for frozen softwood. All of them are .055.
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

Luke_Eames

I run the Turbo 7s on Hemlock.  They work great through the lager logs and keep nice and straight. 
Wood Mizer LT-70 Super Wide
Wood Mizer EG200
Cat IT18

derhntr

I am done using any .42 blades on EWP after I use up the new 10 degrees I have. I actually like the 4 degree blades on EWP but they are the only .45 blades I have. 
2006 Woodmizer LT40HDG28 with command control (I hate walking in sawdust)
US Army National Guard (RET) SFC

Knute

Have been using 10 degree doublehard this past week for white pine and with good results. Haven't tried anything else.

hamish

The primary specie I saw is EWP (Eastern White Pine) and swear by 13deg bands, and also use 10deg bands with the set in the 24-26thousand range.

I have tried 7's and 4's but have found them too slow (most likely due to only having 13hp and a manual mill).

Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

woodmills1

James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Dave Shepard

I got a few 1.5" x.055" 13° bands. I thought they were great on pine, even the knotty stuff. I think I liked them better than Turbo 7s, but I didn't want to switch over to 1.5" bands.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

AnthonyW

Quote from: hamish on July 19, 2016, 08:22:17 PM
The primary specie I saw is EWP (Eastern White Pine) and swear by 13deg bands, and also use 10deg bands with the set in the 24-26thousand range.

I have tried 7's and 4's but have found them too slow (most likely due to only having 13hp and a manual mill).

This always confuses me. Less horsepower (13hp) with a 13 degree blade (more aggressive, lots of bite) cuts faster. Seems counter intuitive and I still don't understand it. With a 15hp engine, I dropped from 10 degree to 7 degree (less bite) to keep the engine from bogging and the rpm up and get a faster cut.

Dave989

I have plenty of horsepower to push an aggressive blade (42hp). Maybe I could try the 13s. I'd be concerned that they would travel over knots instead of cutting through em.
Dave and Hannah

hamish

Quote from: AnthonyW on July 20, 2016, 09:55:14 PM

This always confuses me. Less horsepower (13hp) with a 13 degree blade (more aggressive, lots of bite) cuts faster. Seems counter intuitive and I still don't understand it. With a 15hp engine, I dropped from 10 degree to 7 degree (less bite) to keep the engine from bogging and the rpm up and get a faster cut.

As you have a manual mill and get to experience the manual feedback.............push it hard, you want that bog, you want the engine to drop down into its max torque range (not rpm range)find the sweet spot in the engines power curve.  Too slow of a feed speed accounts for a lot of band deflection, but the 13's just kind of bite and carry on.
Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

AnthonyW

Quote from: hamish on July 21, 2016, 10:40:38 PM
Quote from: AnthonyW on July 20, 2016, 09:55:14 PM

As you have a manual mill and get to experience the manual feedback.............push it hard, you want that bog, you want the engine to drop down into its max torque range (not rpm range)find the sweet spot in the engines power curve.  Too slow of a feed speed accounts for a lot of band deflection, but the 13's just kind of bite and carry on.

I put a tach/hour meter on my engine (mostly for the hour meter, but on the mill have found the tach super useful). I get the best feed rate around 3000 rpm. Too much above or below and the blade wanders. I find it very difficult to maintain a constant fast feed rate with the 10 degree blades. They bog the engine down too easily which in turn kills the feed rate. Since I made the switch I have since learned that not only does the cutting angle change but also the gullet profile, hence the 7 degree and 7 turbo blades. I skipped from 10 to 7, without ever trying the 9 degree blades. I have some 9's now I will try. I would not buy a 13 to try, but if someone lent me one I would. It's too bad Woodmizer doesn't offer a starter pack, three blades of five types (choose five from: 4, 7, 7 turbo, 9, 10, 13). I also strongly believe blade choice/selection is based largely on personal technique. Since my technique is different than yours, 13's work for you while 7's work for me. We probably get the same (or equivalent) bdft/hr.

Magicman

It's easy to start "chasing blades" and end up with nothing but confusion.  Remember that two different logs of the same species can/will saw differently, so was it the log or was it the blade?  Manufacturers recommendations are usually correct for different engines/sawmills.  There is nothing wrong with tweaking but do no get carried away with hype.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!