iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mill Shed for Jr.

Started by wvwoodbutcher, July 16, 2016, 10:00:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wvwoodbutcher

My EZ Boardwalk Jr has been out in the rain and snow for a year and a half now. So after much deliberation I am finally getting around to putting it under roof.

Couldn't justify paying 50 bucks a pop for 6x6x16 PT when I've got this much wood layin around, but I also didn't want to have to replace them in 3 years. So I bought 10 footers, cut them in half, set them on an 8" concrete footing 30" deep, and along with my poplar posts, used an 18" half lap splice joint, and bolted them together. Hope she holds out.

Had to call in a lil' extra muscle to get things moving(my oldest son).

I'll post more pics as things progress.
Hudson Oscar 36

killamplanes

jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

WV Sawmiller

Looking real good. Obvious you are a lot better carpenter than I will ever be. Maybe it is all that extra muscle your helper provides. Keep on posting. Come see me sometime when you're over on this side of the river.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

wvwoodbutcher

Thanks Sawmiller, might have to do that. Would love to see the woodmizer in action.
Hudson Oscar 36

paul case

Looking GOOD!

What you gonna do for a floor?

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

thecfarm

That will help out. That will keep the paint looking new too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ozarkgem

Never thought about using a half lap on the post . Good Idea. I may steal that one.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

Kbeitz

Put Luquid nails on half laps and the post will become as one.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Chuck White

Nice lookin' shed!

My brother and I did the same thing with the posts when we built his lean-to.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

petefrom bearswamp

I built posts for my mill shed from 3 staggered 2x6s of treated I sawed from utility poles and used Hemlock for the upper portion.
Bolted the treated part and nailed the above ground sections.
Been in place 14 years now.
Will outlast me.
IMO the half laps should be OK.
How do you plan to get the logs to the mill?
Skid them thru next to the mill?
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

47sawdust

woodbutcher,
Very nice job,I like your approach to work.Woodbutcher can imply hack job,not so in your case.
Your extra man power is a big help I'm sure.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

wvwoodbutcher

Quote from: paul case on July 16, 2016, 11:18:41 PM
Looking GOOD!

What you gonna do for a floor?

PC
Sawdust for now :) I'll pour a slab next summer.
Quote from: 47sawdust on July 17, 2016, 07:58:03 AM
woodbutcher,
Very nice job,I like your approach to work.Woodbutcher can imply hack job,not so in your case.
Your extra man power is a big help I'm sure.
Thanks 47, that's a play on words. I make my living as a carpenter.
My helper will be 5 next month, gave him a pouch full of nails, a 16 Oz estwing and a pile of scrap lumber. While I was wrapping up yesterday evening I noticed he had pounded a half dozen or so 16d nails into one of my sawlogs. Tomorrow looks like a good time to teach him how to use a nail puller. The kid loves to work, I just hope his enthusiasm is the same in a few years. :D
Hudson Oscar 36

wvwoodbutcher

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on July 17, 2016, 07:42:17 AM
I built posts for my mill shed from 3 staggered 2x6s of treated I sawed from utility poles and used Hemlock for the upper portion.
Bolted the treated part and nailed the above ground sections.
Been in place 14 years now.
Will outlast me.
IMO the half laps should be OK.
How do you plan to get the logs to the mill?
Skid them thru next to the mill?

I'll set the mill up between the posts on the gable end where the mill is now.  Shed is 20' x 36' so I'll have a 19'-1" clear span. Set logs on deck w/3 pt hitch forks and roll em inside.
Hudson Oscar 36

Bruno of NH

You do nice work  :)
I'm a carpenter also
I hope your son picks up the trade we need more young people in it :) :)
Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

barbender

Nice looking shed, wvwoodbutcher! The nails in the saw logs cracks me up, sounds like something my kids would do to "help" me out, too :D
Too many irons in the fire

paul case

Consider a nonconcrete floor. I really like the way it is easy to clean up.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,91337.0.html

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

petefrom bearswamp

OK 20 wide.
It didnt look that wide in the pic.
Nice shed
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Czech_Made

Knute

I like it. I too may use that post idea.

Bandmill Bandit

Nice shed! When your done yours you can come do one for me.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Keith Shirley

Another WV carpenter here (RETIRED). Good looking start on your shed, You may also want to built a log dock outside, to ease loading onto sawmill. See my gallery for photos of what I have built for mine. It's a never ending process, ya build one thing then think of another, and as always you can never build too big.
Norwood HD36, Stihl 025, 291, 362. New Holland TN75 4WD with loader, Agco ST35 4WD, Poloras Ranger 700, 2 Honda 450 Foremen 4WD

wvwoodbutcher

Thanks for the comments guys. Looking good there Keith, jealous of that FEL on the new holland. Any chance you worked out of local 1207? I spent some time working for an outfit out of Eleanor, mostly around Beckley area but worked in Charleston every now and then.
Hudson Oscar 36

Keith Shirley

I am in local 1159 Point Pleasant, 39 years, president for 15 years, retired in 2012 (Best job I've ever had). Worked out of Parkersburg 4 years on Belleville Hydro. Charleston on Marmet Lock 5 years. Had to work out of state for 5 years in Georgia on Plant Vogel Nuke 1981 thru 1986 but never had to clear out of 1159. Knew several from 1207. Parkersburg, Beckley and St Albans locals. Do you know John Harrison, out of old St Albans local, came to WV from Local 283 Augusta Georgia? I think he worked for an outfit from Eleanor.
Norwood HD36, Stihl 025, 291, 362. New Holland TN75 4WD with loader, Agco ST35 4WD, Poloras Ranger 700, 2 Honda 450 Foremen 4WD

wvwoodbutcher

Here's a few pics of the progress so far. Still lack siding on two sides, but at least I'm dried in and can get some stuff òut of the weather. The mill will go in the open end where the lumber is stacked.

Hudson Oscar 36

larrydown60

Beautiful job on the shed can't wait to get one of my own

Thank You Sponsors!