iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Metal detectors

Started by Chop Shop, July 15, 2016, 10:57:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chop Shop

What do you use fora metal detector?    Handheld or wand or treasure finding type or security type?

I have a couple very fancy ones for gold and such but they are complicated and seem to look for things other than iron/steel.    I dont have a desire to learn them just to find spikes and nails in logs.       

Does anyone use a handheld type like they use at the airport and concerts?   Will they find things other than steel toes and plates in folks heads?   How deep will they find steel in a log?

Is there a better option?

Kbeitz

Works good for me....

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

woodman58

i met a guy that has a metal detector that will detect metal as deep as 20" into the log. He recovers trees from tree services. Here is a link to the detector. It is expensive.

http://wizdist.com/rensindex.shtml
i LOVE THE SMELL OF SAW DUST IN THE MORNING.
Timberking 2200

hbeane

I have not been milling long but I have used my metal detector for years. At one time in my life I was a whites dealer selling at gun shows and trade shows. I love the hobby of digging stuff out of the ground but anyway my whites DFX is a very fancy machine designed to descriminate junk metal so you can find all the good stuff.  All you have to do with your nice machine is turn down the discrimination of metals.  Or if your detector has a pin point mode (basically it detects all metals)that will work great as well. I have only used mine a few times and most recently just last week. I programmed and saved a milling mode on my machine. I basically made all my settings detect all metals and saved it. Works great so far. But a handheld would work fine as well.  Or even an older machine that does not have all of the discrimination technology. Ok I am done. I love to talk about metal detectors. Can't wait for fall and start swinging it around a old school and church I discovered this summer.  Can't wait!
Woodmizer LT15
1949 John Deere M
025 Stihl
250 Stihl
290 FarmBoss Still
C400 Echo
Honda 300 Fourtrax

Magicman

I have two handhelds and they both work very well.  Wizard and Nail Finder

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

york

I will try and show you what the big boys are using...
The new mill at Wagner lumber,nice setup...

Albert

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: Chop Shop on July 15, 2016, 10:57:51 PM
What do you use fora metal detector?   

A sharp new blade works well :D.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Chop Shop

Quote from: Magicman on July 16, 2016, 08:25:40 AM

I have a Whites Spectrum XLT.   I spent the better part of last night watching Youtube university and learned how to set it for iron or "all metal" like you mention.

Im going to give it a shot today.   My circ saw eats most nails, but I have to double check some old logs with spikes in them used for construction, so all will be at the surface.

What about a spot where a rusty spike has been pulled?  Will the rust scale and iron stain left behind sound the detector?

Sawmill Man

Yep the rust scale will sometimes set them off but I have not seen stain do it.
"I could have sworn I went over that one with the metal detector".

Magicman

I also have a Garrett 250 from KELLYCO but the hand wands are much handier.

My metal detecting approach is much different from most sawyers.  Since I only do portable custom sawing, I do not look for metal.  I advise the customer what is available and it is up to them to do any searching.  I have nail removing stuff so I will assist in removing any metal that they find.

My stance is that the metal is theirs and finding and removing it is their responsibility.  If I search for metal, and since I am the "expert" and the detector is mine, then the responsibility for finding the metal could shift to me.  That may seem harsh, but so is finding metal with sawblades. 

The customer is charged $25 per blade with no allowance on whether it "might" be resharpened.  Maybe it will or maybe it won't but the blade was still compromised and also I lost time extracting and changing the blade.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

woodmills1

When these detector post come up I always take the chance to say how well I was treated by whites.  I had a whites detector given to me in the pre/early internet days, so i called them about its use.  They sent a parts manual, and instruction book and a money off coupon for a new one.  I used it for years till I left it outside once to often.  I use the new sharp blade detector now, but have less metal due to cutting fewer yard trees.  Buy a whites.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

red

Bounty Hunter is a very popular brand. If you search bounty hunter you will find many posts .
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

hbeane

Quote from: woodmills1 on July 16, 2016, 04:59:13 PM
When these detector post come up I always take the chance to say how well I was treated by whites.  I had a whites detector given to me in the pre/early internet days, so i called them about its use.  They sent a parts manual, and instruction book and a money off coupon for a new one.  I used it for years till I left it outside once to often.  I use the new sharp blade detector now, but have less metal due to cutting fewer yard trees.  Buy a whites.

I have to say your right! Like I mentioned earlier I used to sell whites was an authorized dealer for about 4 years in West Virginia and sold almost 600 whites detectors. So I had to learn them so I could properly educate my customer. I also have dealt with most of the brands and the other brands are good.  Garret, fisher, all of them have good and bad. But whites customer service is amazing and they do aim to please the customer. And also take good care of there dealers as well. I may not sell them anymore but I will always brag on them every time I can. And don't forget all made right here at home USA and I like that. So anyone thinking about one look into whites. Go to a local dealer or do as magic man mentioned kellyco has them ALL! But a dealer will educate you whites makes sure of that.
Woodmizer LT15
1949 John Deere M
025 Stihl
250 Stihl
290 FarmBoss Still
C400 Echo
Honda 300 Fourtrax

bkaimwood

How deep do they seem to work, MM?
bk

hbeane

Quote from: Chop Shop on July 16, 2016, 11:57:12 AM

I have a Whites Spectrum XLT.   I spent the better part of last night watching Youtube university and learned how to set it for iron or "all metal" like you mention.

Im going to give it a shot today.   My circ saw eats most nails, but I have to double check some old logs with spikes in them used for construction, so all will be at the surface.

What about a spot where a rusty spike has been pulled?  Will the rust scale and iron stain left behind sound the detector?
The XLT is a great machine. I took my DFX over today to try a few things and the DFX is not much different than the XLT. What I did was pinpointed meaning squeeze the trigger just below the screen. This is pinpoint mode and is a all metal mode. It will detect anything and all u had to do was squeeze trigger. I tried mine today on some old trees that had fence in them long before I was around and it worked great. But don't forget to detect metal in the ground to find treasure don't always squeeze trigger hunt with the trigger in the middle. Pinpoint is squeeze or shove forward. Let me know if you have any questions on the XLT I will be happy to help I know the machine pretty well.
Woodmizer LT15
1949 John Deere M
025 Stihl
250 Stihl
290 FarmBoss Still
C400 Echo
Honda 300 Fourtrax

Magicman

Quote from: bkaimwood on July 16, 2016, 06:30:04 PM
How deep do they seem to work, MM? 
At least a couple of inches, but that is not something that you could really measure.  You need to do your scanning before the log is on the sawmill and also keep it away from your steel toe boots or fingers that have rings on them.

bkaimwood

Thanks, MM...I have a generic handheld, couple inches is it...it has its purpose, but in a production environment, it's useless...scan every board? Nope, cheaper to chance and wreck blades. Resawing beams? Definitely!!!!
bk

Thank You Sponsors!