iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Any guesses?

Started by Jeff, July 13, 2016, 10:34:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

What might be going on here? This is being erected not far from our house. I really don't know what the heck they are doing, but I did have a guess
You can't see it in the pictures, but they are stringing some sort of wire along the tops too. Thats what that vehicle with the scaffold is doing in the back. The 4x4s on top are randomly oriented. The trees look like some kind of willow, or swamp tree of some kind. Dont look to be at all rot resistant. It's a puzzler.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Magicman

:P  Oh No, another one of Jeff's Diabolical Pig Roast Games??   :o  :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

bates

Hops?  I heard there is a shortage with all the micro-breweries that have been going into business.

Jeff

Nope, just something I discovered on a backroad near here.

Jeff

Hops! that is what my guess was!

Gary_C

I'd suspect they are preparing to put some kind of shade cloth on that area to protect some crop from too much sun. They do that with tobacco but usually earlier in the spring.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

starmac

Looks like what they do with hops, but didn't know they grew it there.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

coxy

hops we have a bunch of them here also

Chuck White

I agree, a HOPS field!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

thecfarm

I would guess on hops too. We have some just for the green. That stuff don't do much the first year or so. But really takes off once it gets going.We have 3 plants.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Sheepkeeper

Hops yard. I was doing some research on growing hops recently (another one of those crazy hair-brained ideas I get once in a while) and that's what it looks like.
The hurry-er I go the behind-er I get.

Jeff

When Tammy and I first got married, we lived in a little old house not far from here. There was an old out house in the yard where I had my first encounter with hops. My brother-in-law made beer and he knew exactly what the vines with all the yellow flowers were that would totally engulf that old outhouse.  :)

Czech_Made

Hops, IMHO.

But this is the propper way to do it:

I spent quite few weeks working them hops fields  ;D

Ox

A vote for hops.  Used to be the cash crop around these parts in the old days.  Ever hear of the Loomis gang?  They were stationed up the road about an hour from here in 9 Mile Swamp.  Their first source of income was from farming hops!  My wife is related to the Loomis crowd somehow.  I've also heard that hops are a cash cow at the moment and prices have skyrocketed because of a shortage.  If I was in better shape and not so crippled up I'd have a go at it!
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Onthesauk

Thousands of acres of hops in the Yakima Valley in central Washington.  Have been grown there for years.  And Chech_Made knows the correct way to grow them.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Dave Shepard

If say hops, too. Were I used to work someone rented a couple acres and put in a hop hard. We cut s bunch of locust poles on site for it. It never got off the ground, and when the lease was up, they pulled the poles and ran.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Corley5

Never seen a hops yard with cross arms on top of the poles :-\
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Dave Shepard

Must be three phase.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

21incher

Looks like a low budget hops farm going in. Around where I live they use tamarack for the poles. I have 3 hops vines and they all got wiped out by japanese beetles 2 days ago. About 10,000 beetles moved in and ate the leaves in 1 night. I had no idea they would eat the plants like that. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

thecfarm

I was weeding the herb beds and uncovered a bunch of copper colored bettles. I killed them all. Only have about 999,980 of those Japanese bettles to go.  ::) They will be bigger in just a few days. The hops I don't mind if they chew on it,I wished they would leave the honey suckle along. That grows 6 feet each year and the bettles chew it back 5½ feet.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ox

cfarm - you must be the first person I ever heard that wanted honeysuckle to grow.  If you don't mind my nose problem, what do you want them for?  I can see them making a decent hedge fence if they don't get out of hand.
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Skip

Honeysuckle smells good ! :)

SwampDonkey

Some people eat the fruit of one honeysuckle species at least. The haskap honeysuckle. The cedar waxwings get them before I do and I don't mind. :D

http://haskap.ca
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

I want honeysuckle to grow.  Deer love it.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ox

There must be different honeysuckles.  The stuff I'm thinking of is a scrubby, wiry viney brushy thing that is invasive and I've never seen anything eat it.  Blooms with little white flowers that turn yellow I think.  No berries.  Eh, to each his own.  :)

Thank You Sponsors!