iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Light Show

Started by chet, November 07, 2004, 06:26:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chet

Anybody catch da Northern Lights tonight? They were totally awesome .   8)
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Corley5

They were great here too until the clouds rolled back in ::)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

beenthere

Yes I did. Came in to tell my wife about them, looked and they were just fading to one 'spike' almost due north. Before that, they covered 15 - 20° of the northern sky. Not dancing as much as I have seen years ago, but very awesome.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

chet

They had almost the entire sky lit up here for about an hour. And they where really movin'. Wanted to get some digital pics, but da daughter has da camera.  :(
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

WoodSmith

Ive never seen the lights, thats one thing that I want to see before I leave this old rock.
We don't get the lights down here in Oregon
Did anyone see the Eclipse of the moon here about a week and half ago?

Jeff

The WHOLE sky is pulsating here. No colors to speak of but the curtains of light are reaching all the way around and into the southern sky.  I got Tammy out of bed to watch. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

craigc90

man i am glad I was not seeing things.We never see the lights in Ohio. Tonight I was looking out the back door and the sky was redish white down along the horizon(3 hours after dark). I told my wife I think thats the northern lights she said I think your crazy I dont see anything. Maybe Im not crazy.

DanG

Craig, just because you weren't "seeing things" this time, doesn't mean you're not crazy. ;D

I'd like to see the Northern Lights someday, but I'd have to go up North to see it. :-/
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

fstedy

I only saw the 's once here in SOUTHERN New Jersey on a clear cold night in February 1958. Boy they were awesome ( suprised I  could remember back that far ).

Timberking B-20   Retired and enjoying every minute of it.
Former occupations Electrical Lineman, Airline Pilot, Owner operator of Machine Shop, Slot Machine Technician and Sawmill Operator.
I know its a long story!!!

craigc90

I had a feeling I was opening myself up for that reply.  :D :D
  This place is just like home

Murf

There even better up here, closer to the source doncha' know?

:D
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

shopteacher

I only ever get to see the Eastern-Western lights.  They usually are in a steady stream 2 wide, but often 4 wide.  Usually bright white on one side and red on the other., but at times flashing red and blue.  I can see nightly as I eat dinner and look through the glass doors out over the deck. They never seem to disappear either.  They weren't always there and began to appear shortly after Interstate 70 was built. ;D  I'm sure they're nowhere near the Aurora Borealis infact after a bit they're rather just boring.  I hope to get a chance to see the real thing someday.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Ron Wenrich

I got to see them last night.  There are only a handful of times they get this far south.  I think we had a good show last year, as well.  These were a blue-green and lit up the entire northern sky.  I didn't see the dancing part.

Usually, whenever there is some sort of astronomical event, we have cloud cover.  I missed the meteor shower the other year that was supposed to be so spectacular.  
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

chet

They have been active again tonight, but not near as good as last night.

Ianab

for us unfortunates that cant see it... there is allways the web

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap041109.html

Looks impressive  8)

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Jason_WI

The auroura was awsome here. I was combining beans when I scooped up some ground in the flex head, I got out to clean the head out and holy smokes the sky was lit up. Almost a full corona with pink and red and also a full band of light that were shimmering and dancing about. They were mostly overhead for most of the night. It was caused by an X class solar flare that was Earth directed.

www.spaceweather.com

Jason
Norwood LM2000, 20HP Honda, 3 bed extentions. Norwood Edgemate edger. Gehl 4835SXT

redpowerd

jees, i just seen them combining beans last night too. just started and i need to get the feild cut and plowed before frost ::)
the wife couldnt see them at home, the cabin is shelterd on the north and west by a red pine stand, but i could relay the colors to her ;D
they only lasted about 20mins.
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Jeff

Hey Jason, that is a great website. Never been there before!

CHARLIE

We watched them for awhile Monday night.  Not much color but it was moving in one area. If I looked straight up it was like looking up inside an umbrella because the lights arced down around me 360°.   I've only seen the Northern Lights once before and that was back in the mid '70s and it was quite colorful then with lots of movement.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

chet

Some great pics that where actually taken in Blair, NE. Check these out,    http://www.extremeinstability.com/04-11-8.htm

sawguy21

Several years ago, we were sitting by the lake watching them. They were reflecting off the ice. I have never seen anything like it, we don't usually get a show like that this far south. Unfortunately, we were clouded over the night you saw them. I can just imagine what it would have been like here.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

pasbuild

If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

Jeff

Chet has checked them out in person. They are just down da road.

chet

Yup,  ;D  As most Yoopers have.   :D
A few years ago I was working on the transmission line, while one of the national film crews was there.

Jeff

I just stepped outside and took this picture of the sky, was really surprised it turned out. Its not as dramatic as the sky really looked though, but for 9:30 at night I think its O.K. :) I left it big as its the only way to see any of it.

Just a study in black. :)
www.forestryforum.com/images/night.jpg

Thank You Sponsors!