iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

White Oak dieing off...

Started by DelawhereJoe, July 13, 2016, 07:35:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DelawhereJoe

While walking around about 20 minutes ago, I noticed one of my large white oaks, about 30" or so, has had about 60-70% of its canopy die off. Then I started looking aroung at all of my other white oaks and there leaves are more pale, smaller, withered and insect damaged then all the other oaks I have. Does anyone else have this kinda thing going on and does anyone know why ?
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

DelawhereJoe

Looks like I have 6-7 mature trees going to kick the bucket this year or next all between 22-30".....anyone have any ideas?

Blackgreyhounds

Are these Quercus alba white oak or another species in the white oak family?  I'm having problems with my chestnut oak, Q. prinus and I don't know why either.

DelawhereJoe

Nope just white oaks, no sub species.

DelawhereJoe

The state forester came out today to look at the trees, he said he thinks its some sort of fungus but the state tree pathologist is out west fighting fires and wouldn't be back for a few weeks. Once he gets back they would stop back by....and its affected both white oaks and swamp white oaks just not the red oak family as of yet.

Ron Scott

~Ron

DavidDeBord

Greetings,

Your problem with the Oaks caught my eye, cuz' we are going to clear out the dying Ash, as well as a few "Selected Walnuts"here in Brown County Ohio, & we were planning on replanting with more Walnut, & some species of Oak.

DelawhereJoe, is the "Oaks dying" a New Problem, or just one that occurs infrequently?

Autocar

Here in west central Ohio and northwest Ohio this has been going on for ten years or more. Ive been in woods in Paulding county Ohio that every swamp white oak is dead six inch to forthy eight inches all of them dead. Here around home it has been white and bur and swamp white oaks they can be eight inches to fifty inches dead or dying. To me they look like herbicide poison, the leaves feel like leather with curled leaves and thin tops that you can see though for three or four years Ive been trying to get someone from the forestry department to come and look at them. This past year they told me this spring there was someone coming from Missouri and would spend the summer here and for me to line up some woodlots where I have seen this problem. Spring came and went into summer and nothing so I called into Columbus and didn't get any calls back. Finaly the forester out of Findley Ohio told me he came and they sent him to eastern Ohio because theres more timber over there. So I called Columbus again and as I was taking a breather after falling a number of trees my phone ring. It was the fellow that is incharged of the health of Ohio trees, I asked him how many thousand foot white oaks were cut in eastern Ohio telling him I had cut two aready this morning. After hammering on him telling him western Ohio forest is just as important as eastern Ohio. He told me that he would come up and take a look at the end of July or the last week of August. Well here it is September 16  ::)      And nothing ! Pretty sad I think,to add something to the story they go into frost damage and old timber everything but herbacide poison . Yep your right I get pretty upset when I think about the run around Ive gotten in the last few years .   
Bill

Al_Smith

I have the logs from a 1200-1500 BDF white oak that just died on the vine so to speak .One day it just started and before you know it ,dead .The neighbor had two that size .

I've got other big white oaks that were unaffected. At least so far .Makes wonderfull lumber but I'd just as soon have the live tree .Lumber I have,oaks that size take several life times to get that large .

I'm in Allen county Ohio not that far from Autocar .

drobertson

The way it has been explained to me,  in a non tech way, is the simple fact of lack of rain, which allows the insects to invade the cambrium layer, the results are lethal over a time span, the entry points then allows for fungus infections, a double edge sword so to speak, I could have totally misunderstood too. Either way it stinks, I've lost several thousand bdft due to oak decline.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Dracomeister

We are having the same issue in this part of Tennessee. I've had several large White Oaks suddenly turn brown and die. In every case, within weeks, the trunk is covered in fungal growth from ground level to about 20'. I don't think it is from lack of rain because our rainfall has been equal to or slightly higher than the historical averages for the past 10 years and we are not having an issue with any other species. This die-off just started within the past two or three years. I guess I'm going to have to turn the next one into firewood since my shop, barn, and kiln are full and I have 6 more logs waiting at the mill to be cut!
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know!

Sassafras73

A number of things have been going on in Ohio here for years.  Oak tatters, anthracnose, armalliria, jumping oak gall. The science hasn't quite gotten a handle on it yet.  I just finished a sale in southern ohio this year where the white oak mortality was bad and this was extremely nice white oak.  The stand was definitely over-stocked which might have contributed to the decline but herbicide was not the culprit on the location of this one.  But where autocar is located in western ohio it does make you wonder as oak tatters has been around for years and both herbicide drift and soil movement come into play.  The old fall back is that it's a complex causing this and the combinations of stresses are weakening the trees and then something else finishes them off.  But even if this is the case knowing all the factors and what is contributing to it is the first step to figuring out how to manage it.  Odd things are showing up with other species too but the white oak alarms me the most because that is one species that is hard to replace.  You can do nothing and get hard maple back, and It's not to hard to get walnut back on the right site, but you walk a thin line when you're trying to regenerate white oak.
WM LT15GO25HP; Forester

Thank You Sponsors!