iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cherry saw

Started by Den Socling, July 13, 2016, 01:41:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Den Socling

I was in an office the other day and noticed a cane leaning against a wall. I picked it up and was admiring it when a woman started telling me about it. She said they have an older client who makes them. She went in a back room and brought out an arm load of cherry and walnut canes. They sell them and 100% of the money goes back to the old guy who makes them. How much? $25! Naturally, one followed me home.

It's laying on one of Patti's benches.

I wouldn't even cut the teeth for $25.

Czech_Made

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Den Socling

The picture that I thought would show the teeth didn't work so I took a couple more.

Would you do that for $25? Like somebody said, it's obviously a labor of love.

Magicman

It would have followed me home too!   
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

samandothers

At least one would have come home with me too!

Den Socling

I've been thinking that if the old gentleman needs to supplement his income, we could sell them from our website. All money would go to him, of course. I'll email the woman I talked to and she can inquire. I also saw a bowl he made. He is a talented craftsman.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Den Socling

I'll tell him we have an offer of $30.  :D

Czech_Made

I wonder if he uses a jig to space the teeth?

lowpolyjoe

Beautiful work.  It makes me a little sad when something like that sells for so cheap. 

I can see the body being quick work if you have a bandsaw to rough it out and a router table with a template to finish with.  But you're right about the teeth - I can't see a quick way to do those. 

I hope the work itself brings him some happiness.

thecfarm

That looks good.
Brenda has a had time charging for her baked goods. If she started out with $1000 for the month,at the end of the month she would have $1100.  :(  But she is happy.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

bucknwfl

Put me down for one at $30

Thanks

Buck
If it was easy everybody would be doing it

21incher

That is just amazing. After paying for the wood, hardware, supplies, and finish that man only made about $10.00.  He must love woodworking. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Corley5

Maybe he's got a CNC that cuts one out in a couple minutes  ;) ;D :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

ScottAR

Those are pretty darn neat!  I would have came home with one as well.

Just thinking out loud, It would be pretty productive to gang cut the teeth on a table saw with a sled.
Once you made the first tooth, it could set on a register for the next cut.
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

WDH

What a fine piece of work.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Seavee

I'll take one for 30.00. Maybe even a little more  back story of the craftsman to go with it if you can find out more.
Wood mizer lt50 47hp yanmar Diesel  Sthil MS311, Ms661 MS200T, 029 farm boss  and a New Holland T4  75hp.

Den Socling

I hope to find out more about the craftsman. All I know is that he is an elderly wood worker. That is what the woman said.

I hope to follow this plan. Next week I'll buy whatever is at the office less one for display and one for sale. I'll pay $30 a piece. Those of you who want one can email me at dsocling@vacdry.com. Give me your shipping address. After we ship and know what the shipping cost are, we can send you an invoice. I'll have to buy some boxes from U-line, too.

OffGrid973

I am in for $30 with a validation of non-CNC :)

When I get $300 I will order the Outhouse and hang this beauty on it.

PM the details for the saw when someone gets them.

Thanks,
Chris
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

Den Socling

Tomorrow I will ship the saws for which I have an address. If you didn't send an address, it will be at least a month before I ship any more. I will be traveling.
Also, the saws don't all have the same number of teeth. It doesn't look like CNC.

Magicman

And now I have one. 

Thank you Den.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Den Socling

You're very welcome. My pleasure.

bucknwfl

Mine came in the mail today just in time for my birthday. Happy birthday to ME

Thanks

Den

Buck

Den Socling

Well that's nice. Happy Birthday!

Carson-saws

SWEET!!..(no pun intended)..real nice .. good to hear folks helping the Old Feller out.  Like you said, and others,  1 would follow me home.  I have just the place to hang it on my wall or stand in the corner for  conversation piece.
Let the Forest be salvation long before it needs to be

coxy

Den   did you ever find out who the old guy was

Den Socling

No. I was at the office a couple days ago and I noticed there were no saws and the subject didn't come up. I'll make it a point to ask the next time I'm over there.

Den Socling

I emailed the girl at the office. She said this gentlemen is in his mid 80's. I was hoping he used the Internet so I gave her a link to the Forestry Forum. It would be great to have him visit this board but he doesn't use the Internet. He dropped off more saws. Some, she says, have an inlay. I'll get a picture.

If anybody wants one, it's the same deal as the last time. PM me and I'll send you one with an invoice for the cost of the saw plus shipping. It's dsocling@vacdry.com.

It sounds like he can make about one a day.

coxy

Den can you really use it or is it a wall hanger  sending a pm

Den Socling

For me, I was surprised that it was the right length to be used as a cane.

Magicman

If I ever need to use a cane, this will be my stick.   smiley_old_guy

Den Socling

I think I'll be in South Williamsport tomorrow. I'll pick up a saw with the new inlay. This fellow is asking $25 for saws without the inlay and $40 for those with the inlay. I'll give him $30 and $45. I'll post some pictures and if anybody wants one or the other, I'll send them to you.

coxy

sounds good     Den ill take the one with the inlay if no one else got it first  ;D

Den Socling

I haven't heard from Jennifer but I still expect to visit tomorrow. Might be able to get saws sent out by Friday.

coxy

just let me know how to pay

Den Socling

coxy, you would now like to have an inlaid saw instead of plain, correct? I'm going to buy a few of each so you can decide after I post a picture, if you want.

OffGrid973

I missed following up on this thread, sending a PM now.

MM - Is that Carolina Summer granite I see under the saw, that looks like the color we put in the kitchen last year.
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

Den Socling

I picked up a few saws this morning. I left $150 for these. The "inlaid" are pretty cool. Amazing job especially for a guy in his mid 80's.

coxy

I like the dark saw with the light teeth  in the first pic      is it taken yet  :)

Den Socling

I'll consider it yours. I had to order some cardboard boxes but they should be here in a day or two.

Den Socling

This fellow apparently uses a pattern for most of the saw but I still don't understand how he does the teeth. Look at the difference between these two saws. In the first picture, the handles are lined up.

Look where the teeth end in the second picture.

Farmerjw

My wife mailed you a check yesterday.  Whenever you get around to it, as we discussed in some PM's, thank you for doing this for us as well as an 80 year old gentleman.   Since it has a hole in the handle, may I please show my ignorance and ask what the cord is for?  At first I thought maybe it was like a cord on a cross country ski pole (so you don't lose it).  Man those are cool.  I am thinking my dad might like one.
Premier Bovine Scatologist

Den Socling

If I hold it like a cane with the cord around my hand like a ski pole, everything fits perfectly. I'd bet your dad would like to have one. I got another order today so I will need to get more next week. Let me know if you would like another. I wish I could see the look on this fellow's face when they hand him a wad of money!  :)

Den Socling

They aren't all cherry saws any more. They have been walnut, oak and cherry. I pick them up randomly. Just what ever falls into my hands.

bucknwfl

Thanks den.  Yea it is like Christmas.    I love mine

Buck

Den Socling

We shipped two saws to Farmerjw today. I have an order for one from PC-Urban-Sawyer. Does anybody else want one?

coxy

Den sorry just got your pm  and the saw came today did not expect it till it was paid for  :) thank you   that is nicer than it showed in the pics  that man is vary crafty the saw teeth are a different piece of wood cut and glued in every one likes it  if you ever get to meet him please tell him what a wonderful job he does  if no one has one of these saws you should get one they are great   again thank you  coxy    p.s  my wife will do the email when she gets home

Den Socling

I will be sending along a message to this fellow that his work is making many people happy. Would you believe the saws are not all the same length!? Nor do they all have the same number of teeth. The guy is a craftsman.

coxy

Den Socling

Thank you, coxy. Patti and I are going to Kmart to buy some new underwear.  :D  My mother used to take care of my supply.   :D

Magicman

I Cherry saw that you were older today Den.  Happy Birthday.   :)

Den Socling

Thank you very much, Magicman! It's funny but old age keeps moving to higher numbers. Old? Not me!  :D

mesquite buckeye

Happy birthday, Den. ;D 8) 8) 8) :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Den Socling

Thank you mesquite. I guess you will be getting some decent weather in Tucson. We have to go back to Phoenix in a couple weeks to close out dad's house. Don't know what the heck we are going to do with all of the household goods and tools. But thank you for the birthday wish. If you find yourself up in Phoenix (or is that down with elevation?  :D) let me know.

bucknwfl

Happy birthday den

Buck

Den Socling

Thank you, Buck. It's been a great day.

Farmerjw

Den, I missed your birthday somehow so first of all, Happy Birthday Den!!!

Got a package last night, those saws are as beautiful if not more so in person as they are in your pictures.  My dad liked them but didn't want one so have them in my cane collection.  I bet that man is wondering what happened and caused such a surge in sales!

Anyway, thank you Den for buying and mailing them.  It is greatly appreciated. 
Premier Bovine Scatologist

Den Socling

Thank you and you're very welcome. I don't know anything about this fellows income but I hope an extra $100 a week helps him out. Since he is in his 80's, it very well could look like a lot of money to him.

Did you notice that your two saw were not exactly the same length? If I remember correctly, your two saws had different numbers of teeth, too.

OffGrid973

Got my package today when I returned from lunch...What a treat & checks in the mail.

Thanks again and happy belated B-Day Den.

Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

WDH

That is a nice table. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Den Socling

If I get time, I'm going to pick up more saws this week. If anybody wants one, email me a dsocling@vacdry.com.

Den Socling

Correction. That is dsocling@vacdry.com. Forgot my own address.

Magicman

@Den Socling, why don't you also correct/modify it in Reply #61?

Den Socling

AlaskaLes

Den,
I sent you an email, hoping you can still get these.
That Old Boy does some nice work.  I agree that the craftsmanship shows.
Very clever idea.
You can see Mt McKinley from our backyard...Up Close!!

Mighty Mite MK 4B, full-hyd, diesel bandmill
Kubota 4wd 3650GST w/FEL; Forks;
3pt Log Arm& Log trailer
Husky 394XP
Husky 371XP
Husky 353
Echo 330T
Nyle 200M
Robar RC-50 50BMG-just in case the trees get out of line

Den Socling

Got your email. I have a beautiful saw sitting next to me that I will send to you on Monday, It is black walnut with oak teeth,

Den Socling

I forgot that we are going to start up a new vac kiln tomorrow. I'll send your cane on Tuesday. I give the old guy $45 and Patti will add shipping cost. Thank you.

AlaskaLes

Sounds Good Den.
I'll be looking for it.

Having dinner with my Mother and Stepdad last night and he was interested in getting one for his Father, who apparently collects canes.
I'll send him your way after we get this one and figure out addresses, etc.

Mom's got a knee surgery coming up and she wants one too. 
We'll keep the old gent working.

Mine will be going up on a wall in the shop.

3pt Log Arm& Log trailer
Husky 394XP
Husky 371XP
Husky 353
Echo 330T
Nyle 200M

Den Socling

AlaskaLes

Got my cane today. 
This guy really puts out a nice product, I've been showing it off.
Found a nice spot on the wall to display it.
Thanks Den,
I'll have payment heading your way on Monday.

3pt Log Arm& Log trailer
Husky 394XP
Husky 371XP
Husky 353
Echo 330T
Nyle 200M

Den Socling

I'm glad you're pleased. I'm sold out again and don't even have one for myself. We got blasted by lightening Thursday night and haven't had TV, phone or Internet until today so I didn't reply earlier.

AlaskaLes

That's no fun!  Hopefully nothing got fried.

I just got back from the Post Office.  I sent you a postal money order. 
Thanks again

3pt Log Arm& Log trailer
Husky 394XP
Husky 371XP
Husky 353
Echo 330T
Nyle 200M

Den Socling

Yes I'm afraid a lot got fried. Our server, my supervisory computer, a modem, router and switches, a PLC, Ethernet cables and even coax was blown up. A system that my son has that transmits to/from his house and my daughter's has was cooked. Comcast also had to replace something between the pole and the house plus two TV boxes in the house. Thank goodness that my son knows all about this stuff or we never would have gotten it running again.

AlaskaLes

Wow...you let the smoke out of lots of stuff!!

During aviation electronics we learned that everything electrical is built with just enough smoke to make it run.  When you cook it the smoke escapes and then nothing works.
Simple theory really! :D

3pt Log Arm& Log trailer
Husky 394XP
Husky 371XP
Husky 353
Echo 330T
Nyle 200M

Thank You Sponsors!