iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Why/How used mills hold there value

Started by tnaz, July 13, 2016, 12:48:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tnaz

Other than a couple fire arms, everything I own has lost value over the years.  Chevy truck with dura-max is valued at half what I paid, 10 year old boat valued at half what I paid for it, tractor 1/2, everything depreciates but not at portable sawmill, Why?

Terry

If "I" buy a new mill tomorrow next week it will be worth 1/2; just my luck!!!

rjwoelk

Just got to look at the market and see which one is holding its value, look after it and you will be okay.  :)
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Magicman

Yes, WM just like all other sawmills will take an initial "new price" hit, but after that the price will stabilize.  My sawmill is worth as much or more than I paid for it 14 years ago.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

Since I've had my sawmill, I've done a few upgraded and mods to it, and all of the routing maintenance!

At this point, I would not sell it for what I paid for it (used) back in 2008, as a matter of fact, I would be asking an additional $7,000.00 - $8,000.00 more than I paid for the mill alone and everything I have, sawmill related would go as one package!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

red

Just good mills properly maintained and cared for. Most vehicles are brutally abused .
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

ozarkgem

I will triple my money on my mill when I sell it. Course I have done a lot of mods to it.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

tnaz

With what has been said I guess one would be wise to invest in used portable sawmills because with inflation you will always come out ahead. :D

As for my search for a used mill, used are hard to find. 

Thanks for the replies,

Terry

WV Sawmiller

tnaz,

That was a factor when I bought my mill last year knowing it should keep its value. All the others I had checked on when shopping seemed to have held their value well.

Good used tractors also seem to hold their value well based on what I see the current selling price and comparing to original selling price.

Of course the one thing that has likely increased in value in the 39 years I have had her is my wife. Then again - I have invested a lot in maintenance, training and such. I even bought her a new mule for our 20th wedding anniversary (I am just too good to that woman!). :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

4x4American

I was at the WM dealer a few weeks back and they had a 70 there that looked like it musta been through hell and back.  Looking at it from afar I would have guess it was 6-8 years old.  Nope.  It was a 2014 model year with very little hours.  I wanna say it had maybe under 100 hrs.  And looking at it, the WM tech who was taking care of me said some people don't know the difference between use and abuse.  The guy who owned it must've been an animal.
Boy, back in my day..

Magicman

Chances are the owner was not the operator/sawyer. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

tnaz

WV Sawmiller  :D :D :D

Thanks for all the replies,  and yes its sad to see anything abused.  Farmers around me a very hard on pick-ups.

Terry

Brucer

For mills that are only used part-time, the biggest cause of depreciation is age, not engine hours.

What drives the price down is the relative cost of a brand-new mill. New mills will have improved features; some of the optional accessories are now standard; and the price may have come down since you bought yours. Why would someone pay 80% of new price for a used mill, when the new mill has more and better features?

Once the mill has depreciated to a certain point, the price tends to stabilize. It's just far enough below the current "new" price that it will attract the sort of buyers who really want a sawmill but just can't afford/justify the price of a new one.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

hacknchop

Took my chainsaw in for set up after couple weeks tech says to me what did you do break it in with an axe ;) ;)
Often wrong never indoubt

Chop Shop

When I was looking for a MD, used mobiles from the 70s were selling for as much or more than they cost when new.

A savvy consumer can always find a deal under market value and then depreciation is not a concern.

Most of the equipment I have got I could sell for a profit if I desired.

longtime lurker

Unless it's sitting in the weather lightly used equipment - after the initial just left the showroom floor hit - tends to hold value mostly because the price of new ones keeps going up.

And the simple reality is that most mills are very lightly used: they get dragged out on weekends when the weather is nice and chop a log or three then get put back to bed for another week or three. its hard to wear out a machine doing 100 hours a year.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Thank You Sponsors!