iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 066 not starting

Started by Eli_Richard, July 12, 2016, 12:52:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eli_Richard

I've got a late 90's 066 that was running like crap. The thing would fire up, but idle really rough and bog down when cutting. So I ripped it all apart to find that the intake manifold was cracked and had a hole in it. Got a new one in now, along with a carb kit, new spark plug and starter rope to find it won't run now.. Ive double checked everything and can't find anything wrong. Is there a way to prime the carb or adjust the carb so it'll fire up after being drained?

Also, I noticed when I didn't have my wrap handle on the saw and had it on its side, fuel was pouring out of the mounting holes for it... is that normal, or is the fuel tank got a crack in it? Thanks!

ZeroJunk

It should prime itself after a few pulls if everything is right. Does starting it feel like it still has good compression ? What you are talking about with the manifold is a good way to run too lean, heat up, score a piston and seize the rings.

Shouldn't leak. Check your fuel line and make sure it doesn't have a hole in it or hasn't gotten loose where it seals the tank. Make sure the tank vent hasn't been disturbed.

deerslayer

Yep, check your piston for scoring. If your piston looks good, something is probably hooked up wrong. Make sure you have the throttle hooked to the carb linkage, I've made that error multiple times.
Too many chainsaws, not enough wood.
Stihl, Husky, Craftsman, Mac, Homelite, Poulan. Some live here, some just passing through.

joe_indi

First thing is to prime it and see if it will fire up.
Ignore the carb and tank leak before that.
Empty out the fuel tank (not rally necessary)
Remove the spark plug and air filter. Squirt some fuel into the cylinder and the carb.
With switch off and throttle wide open, pull the starter about 10 - 12 times.
Fit the spark plug, move the switch to the fast idle (down to choke, i1 step up)
Pull the starter. If the engine is in working order it should start up, run a second or two and then stop.
Do this test first.
Joe

Eli_Richard

Got it to fire today. Pulled the spark plug out and gave it a shot of fuel into the cylinder. Ran for about two or three seconds and then died. Seems like its not getting fuel, so i will have another look at my fuel line/vent and see if they're cracked at all. Thanks for the help so far!

Thank You Sponsors!