iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

FF to the rescue

Started by WV Sawmiller, July 11, 2016, 08:35:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

I confess - prior to joining the FF I never wore a hard hat when felling trees. Since reading some of the horror stories and recommendations here I now do. Today it paid off.

Decided to cut some of my dead and dying ash in the woods around my pasture and when I cut the 3rd one, about 14-15 inches butt log, I notched and bore cut it as I find ash is bad to splinter and barber chair on me. It had a natural lean in the direction I wanted it to fall so no need for wedges or cables and snatch blocks like some of the others. I removed the saw and cut the holding wood and it fell right where I wanted it to go. I was sitting back fat, dumb, and happy feeling smug for such a great job then "whack". Out of nowhere (Probably from overhead if the truth be told) a 3' limb about 3/4" in diameter hit me right on the gourd and left shoulder. Probably not big enough to have really done any serious damage but I assure you it hurt a lot less hitting my hard hat than my bare scalp.

Thanks for everyone's attention and emphasis on safety and keep up the good work. Its real easy to get hurt and it can happen quick.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Jim_Rogers

When I was cutting in the woods, as it was falling, and I was running away, I would look up and make sure that something wasn't chasing me from above. There are many ways for a "widow maker" to find you. You need to be aware and "look up" while things are moving through the crowns of the trees around the one you are felling.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

gspren

You need to look up even after things stop moving, I got hit 5-10 minutes after the tree was down.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Magicman

Several minutes after I felled this dead White Oak tree, this Water Oak limb seemingly came out of nowhere.    :o

That was really unnerving to say the least!  :o

I never had or wore chainsaw chaps or a helmet before joining the FF.   
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Corley5

A hard hat should be worn in any active timber sale no matter what you're doing.  We put ours on before stepping out of the cabs of machines.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Roxie

It was many, many years ago, but my uncle was killed by a branch that was no bigger around than my little finger.  It fell down like an arrow and hit the "soft" spot. 

Please, always wear a helmet.   :)
Say when

Thank You Sponsors!