iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What should I know about the Husqvarna 550XP?

Started by Thehardway, July 11, 2016, 11:16:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thehardway

Just picked up a used 550XP.  It is running but I know nothing about it past that.  I have always run Stihls in the past and this is my first Husq.  so I don;t know much about their quirks.

I plan to do a good cleanup on the saw before putting it into service.  Anything I should look for when going over it?
Norwood LM2000 24HP w/28' bed, Hudson Oscar 18" 32' bed, Woodmaster 718 planer,  Kubota L185D, Stihl 029, Husqvarna 550XP

nhlogga

Always set it to fast idle when starting. Do not choke even if is a little warm. They flood easily. Follow starting instructions in the book or you will be miserable
Jonsered 2260
Husky 562xp

Thehardway

Thanks, just downloaded the manual and will read through it. 

What will it take to adapt the saw to run my Stihl bars and chains as well?  Would like to be able to interchange between it and my 029.
Norwood LM2000 24HP w/28' bed, Hudson Oscar 18" 32' bed, Woodmaster 718 planer,  Kubota L185D, Stihl 029, Husqvarna 550XP

farmguy

No they made sure that you cant plus 550 is most likely.325 and the stihl is probly 3/8. But your mount and oil holes will be different for sure

Thehardway

Bummer, I guess a guy can only be just so lucky.  Was hoping one of those Bailey's adapter plates would work but guess not.  Oh well, on the brightside, it looks like I can just buy a new 20" bar for it for under $30 so that's not too bad.  I'm cutting up a lot of small stuff and having the longer bar and a lighter saw saves a lot on the back and arms.  The 029 is really heavier and more power than neccessary for the job.

DelawhereJoe

I think they run about the same hp...3.75-3.8 hp, I'd take the 550xp over the 029,290,291 any day, I also only run stihl saws too.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Ada Shaker

If it hangs to the left, your likely to be a Husqvarna man.
If it hangs to the right, your likely to be a Stihl man.
Anything else is an uncomfortable compromise.
                             AND
Walking with one foot on either side of a barbed wire fence can become extremely uncomfortable at times.

ladylake

The 550 should cut faster than a 029 which has over rated HP, your 029 will most likely collect dust.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

tranabo_bjoern

Quote from: Thehardway on July 11, 2016, 03:48:04 PM

What will it take to adapt the saw to run my Stihl bars and chains as well?  Would like to be able to interchange between it and my 029.

Check with the text and numbers on the side of the bar near the head what type of chain/bar you have. Then compare with your Stihls. Maybe it fits?

Starting of a Husky is simple. Cold engine: prime about six times with the bulb. Pull the choke out. Make soms pulls with the cord until the engin wants run. Push the choke halv the way. Pull and the engin runs. Never pull the choke on a hot engine. Just pull....
Just do it!

Husky 395xp 20 inch bar
Husky 460xp x-torq Rancher 24 and 20 inch bar
Husky 61 18 inch bar
Jonsered 2234 14 inch bar
McCulloch cs 380 18 inch bar

Thehardway

Quote from: DelawhereJoe on July 13, 2016, 03:52:30 PM
I think they run about the same hp...3.75-3.8 hp, I'd take the 550xp over the 029,290,291 any day, I also only run stihl saws too.

I thought that too until I read some posts saying a 20" bar is too much for the 550XP to pull in a full log and they wouldn;t go more than an 18" which I believe is what it has on it.  The 029 has no problems with a 20" bar.  The 029 will likely become a backup if for no other reason weight.  It has been a great saw though.  No complaints.

Hope to run the XP this weekend a little and get a feel for what it will do.

Thehardway

Quote from: tranabo_bjoern on July 14, 2016, 12:49:55 PM

Check with the text and numbers on the side of the bar near the head what type of chain/bar you have. Then compare with your Stihls. Maybe it fits?

Starting of a Husky is simple. Cold engine: prime about six times with the bulb. Pull the choke out. Make soms pulls with the cord until the engin wants run. Push the choke halv the way. Pull and the engin runs. Never pull the choke on a hot engine. Just pull....

Thanks for the insite.  I will check it out.  I have not had trouble starting it so far but that seems to be the primary complaint I've read is  it's easy to flood if you pull it one too many times with the choke full on or choke while hot.  The only other complaint I read was trouble running in hot weather.  I try not to do too much sawing in hot weather ;D and being that I will have the 029 as a backup, it doesn't worry me too much. 

49er

Congrats, great saw. I run 18inch .325 with an 8 pin rim on my Jonsered2253 because I like the smoothness of .325. Mine was ported by Tlandrum.
Husqvarna EC390 365xt
Jonsered 2188 2165 2260 2253 70e
Redmax GZ4000

tranabo_bjoern

Quote from: Thehardway on July 15, 2016, 01:59:35 PM
Quote from: tranabo_bjoern on July 14, 2016, 12:49:55 PM

Thanks for the insite.  I will check it out.  I have not had trouble starting it so far but that seems to be the primary complaint I've read is  it's easy to flood if you pull it one too many times with the choke full on or choke while hot.  The only other complaint I read was trouble running in hot weather.  I try not to do too much sawing in hot weather ;D and being that I will have the 029 as a backup, it doesn't worry me too much.

Glad that it worked out for you & congratas for the new :-) Nice one.....  8)
Just do it!

Husky 395xp 20 inch bar
Husky 61 18 inch bar

ladylake

Quote from: Thehardway on July 15, 2016, 01:52:37 PM

I thought that too until I read some posts saying a 20" bar is too much for the 550XP to pull in a full log and they wouldn;t go more than an 18" which I believe is what it has on it.  The 029 has no problems with a 20" bar.  The 029 will likely become a backup if for no other reason weight.  It has been a great saw though.  No complaints.

Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

ladylake

Quote from: Thehardway on July 15, 2016, 01:52:37 PM

After it gets broke in  a 550xp will pull any bar better than a 029. 290. or 291.  Steve

Thehardway

Did an inspection and cleanup on the saw this weekend.  Blew out the sawdust and all the other junk. Needed a good cleaning.  There was some damage to the chain guideplate (worn through in a a spot or two) and the chain catcher was mangled and bent.  The black plastic brake mechanism cover was chewed up pretty badly in one spot.  Not sure what caused this, perhaps it threw a chain?  Also noticed the muffler looked like it might be mashed in a bit.  I will replace these parts.

The bar appears to be an 18" .325 .050 setup.  It had some junk stuck in it, the sprocket on the tip was sticking a bit and needed lubed and the bar could use a little dressing.   After I cleaned it up and put it back together I touched up the chain and gave it a try on an old piece of tulip poplar.  It doesn't seem to be digging into the cut like it should be.  Feels like it is floating in the cut a bit.  Perhaps the chain has some issues or needs the rakers filed down a little.   The saw certainly screams in the RPM category. 

Open to suggestions on a good chain and setup for this saw. 

tranabo_bjoern

I am running semi-chisel chains when cutting dirty wood and chisel chains for clean cuts (clean wood). These chains I buy from Oregon Blunt and sometimes original Husqvarma chains (price dependent). Both brands cut very well and the intervals are long.

My hand filing equipment is from Husqvarna. I like the little square shaped gauge helping to file the chain.
Just do it!

Husky 395xp 20 inch bar
Husky 61 18 inch bar

motohed

I've got a 550xp that pulls an 18" bar with 3/8ths full chisel chain with no skip , and it pulls if fine . I think it would run a 20" ok . It won't be a power house , but it would work ok . I think at that point maybe a skip chain , would run just fine and it cuts down on the sharpening . JMHO   It would'nt be my first choice  as a real production saw for sizable wood .

Thank You Sponsors!