iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

backhaul

Started by Josef, July 10, 2016, 07:48:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josef

Hi Guys,

On tuesday I'm headed to Georgia to get our temp power set up for building a shop at our new acreage. I'm dragging a trailer with skid steer and tools south but I'll be empty on my way back and I'd like to find a few cypress logs to take back to Pennsylvania. Anyone have any contacts to find logs along the 95 corridor in Georgia or South Carolina? We'll be in Camden county, Woodbine right off 95. I can take about 3 ton, in a 14' dump trailer, so up to about 12 footers.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Joe
In my house I'm the boss, I know this because my wife said so, I only hope she doesn't change her mind!

New to me Timber Harvester that I'm learning to operate, been building a home built mill for a while, should be ready to make sawdust with it someday if I ever quit "modifying" the design.

Kbeitz

My brother just cleared land in Jesup Ga for a camp sight. I think most all the logs was
cypress . The land was right next to the Altamaha river. I'm not sure if the paper mill got
the logs or not. I will ask. He also had a Logan business so he might have contacts.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Josef

Thank you Kbeitz, look forward to hearing from you and your brother if some of the logs might be available, I'll look up Jesup on the map.

Joe
In my house I'm the boss, I know this because my wife said so, I only hope she doesn't change her mind!

New to me Timber Harvester that I'm learning to operate, been building a home built mill for a while, should be ready to make sawdust with it someday if I ever quit "modifying" the design.

LittleJohn

Trying to carry logs across the state line, what an OUTLAW

Josef

Now thats something I hadn't thought about, are there regs concerning moving logs from Georgia to Pennsylvania?

Joe

rjwoelk

As a long hauler I see guys hauling logs from the south going to canada, I have looked into it, depends on the species of log, wither it has bark or not, check the state forestry
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Josef

Got it, I'll do some research. I've never sawn species other than whats available here in SW Pa. and I'd love to try some cypress. I know nothing about the wood, but from what I've seen of the trees (straight and clear butt logs) on our property in Georgia I'd like to try drying some and saw strips for another wood strip canoe. Not ready to clear much land in Georgia yet, just a pad for the shop and right of way for the electric so won't be cutting any this trip.

Joe

rjwoelk

Joe I built a cedar strip canoe back in 73 had it till 85, then some one stole it from me. I have had it in the back of my mind to build another. Perhaps a catamaran in cedar would be nice. So many ideas so little time. :(
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Josef

The last wood strip canoe I built was with my scouts back in '87, we put together two, a 12' and a 14' that they auctioned off. I set the molds and they milled and built the canoes. I still have the molds. We had help from a friend that builds fiberglass lay up boats for the glass skins, the kids had quite a few weeks in the project, one evening a week and every saturday. A catamaran in cedar sounds interesting. Love the concept of a multitude of ideas, wife says I have the attention span of a gnat and the memory of a goldfish.

Joe

Gary_C

Quote from: LittleJohn on July 11, 2016, 09:52:26 AM

I'm not real sure what was meant by that but a lot of logs are crossing state lines everyday.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

LittleJohn

Quote from: Gary_C on July 11, 2016, 05:55:18 PM
Quote from: LittleJohn on July 11, 2016, 09:52:26 AM
I'm not real sure what was meant by that but a lot of logs are crossing state lines everyday.

I just know there are some really STUPID rules in the Midwest, specifically MN and WI about what wood products can be transported more than 25 miles or across state line; mainly in regards to the transportation of firewood length, due to the Emerald Ash Bore. 

...but if you are transporting 8'+ no one cares  ???

I realize you could not put a 25 mile radius on transportation of logs, otherwise every mill would have to be on wheels to keep up with the loggers. JUST BE CAREFUL, don't want to be overweight, uncle got pinched one time cause his total combined weight between truck and trailer (with logs) was too much, so technically he has to carry and fill out a log book like he is a trucker; he drives a 1 ton Dualie with a 35' goose neck triple axle (for transporting hickory from WI to WY - for summer smoking/grilling season).

Gary_C

Yes, there is no doubt there are many stupid rules out there that are put out by the Dept's of Agriculture (movement of wood) and the Dept's of Transportation (trucking laws), but that is not a good reason to call someone out as an "OUTLAW."

Just saying.  ::)
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Magicman

It was very obvious that the OUTLAW comment was in jest.  Get a grip guys and lighten up.   ::)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ox

Yep - I took the outlaw sentence as a heavy sarcasm thing pointed at the law makers and upholders.  Nothing more.  :)

It's hard to speak when typing sometimes because the tone of voice is so hard to replicate in words!
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

LittleJohn

Quote from: Ox on July 13, 2016, 11:39:51 AM
Yep - I took the outlaw sentence as a heavy sarcasm thing pointed at the law makers and upholders.  Nothing more.  :)

I was just trying to help our a fellow sawyer, NOT BREAK A LAW; because we all know the silly laws out there.  Just the other day, I got a "Notice of Ordinance Violation"; for having my garbage cans in front of my house, ...for the last 4 years.  The cans have to either be on the side of the house or in the garage, needless to say my garage will smell like rotting garbage til freeze up  ::) Yet the neighbor can light off fireworks that leave the ground; in MN fireworks are legal, as long as they do not create excessive noise or leave the ground... ??? (so no fun ones)

Maybe next time I will use MORE EMOJIS  smiley_horserider smiley_horserider smiley_horserider

Ox

Yeah, I completely understand the bullpuckie laws and rules and regulations.  I also understand the frustration that comes along with them.  Ooooooohhhhhhh weeeelllllllll I try to say to myself, heaving a deep sigh.  New York isn't the place for me anymore.  It's too liberalized and regulated.  I love the country, hate the rules.  Looking at Texas!
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Josef

Hi guys,

Thanks to the networking efforts of Kbeitz, his brother and a multitude of other log buyers and loggers I found a small load of cypress, about 3 tons, to haul back to Pa.

From the appearance of these logs, from 8" to 16" at the small end and 12' long, these are a pretty slow growing tree. If they lay down one ring a year the 10" trees have about 90 rings. If the bark is any indication there is a bit of spiral grain to them. The logger said these were a red cypress or pond cypress as opposed to the bald cypress I normally associate the name with.

I will be on my way north in the morning, got our temp electric in and inspected, and got about the first quarter acre of the building site cleared. Next trip will be to get the septic installed and more ground cleared (after our annual trip to the keys for opening of lobster season).

Sure is different clearing ground here, no rocks, not even any clay, just lots of sand.

Thanks guys for the help with contacts for these logs, can't wait to open them up when I get home, not sure what I'll do with the lumber, but it will be interesting to saw them up.

Joe

Thank You Sponsors!