iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Another Kohler Problem

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, July 10, 2016, 06:04:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Another Kohler problem......but not on my mill, mine is running fine.

I have a friend 5 miles away that uses his mill in a different market than me.
I met him through Woodmizer and we became friends.

About 8 months ago, his Kohler engine went south. About 1000 hours on it. He took it to an authorized Kohler dealer in our town and they put a new cam shaft in it. The engine worked great until last week.
He sent me the video below.

I told him to talk to the Tech at Turf Care that fixed mine with the software and computer to pin point the problem.
He called Turf Care. Now if you remember the story of my mill and Turf Care then you'll know what I'm talking about.
My friend calls me back and tells me the management at Turf Care had made a new policy after they fixed my Kohler and they now just work on Lawn Mowers.

I told him to hang loose, I'd call Turf Care.

I turned my mill off, sat down with a cold drink and gave the store manager a call.
Right off the bat he got "tongue tied". I told him his place IS an authorized Kohler dealer....CORRECT?
He said well......yes.
I asked him what the problem was?
He told me, what he meant to tell him was they can't send a tech to mills anymore that mills would have to be brought in OR the engine.
I reminded him what he had went through with me and I didn't want this to be Part 2 of a past problem.
I was nice and he was nice.
He immediately told me to give my friend a call and they would do whatever it took to get his engine fixed.
I'll give you an update later but things look good now.

Us sawmill people gotta stick together.  :D

https://youtu.be/-s4CpUlkZ-Y

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

bkaimwood

bk

Magicman

I'll bet that your friend is not having any mosquito problems.   ::)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on July 10, 2016, 06:16:33 PM
I'll bet that your friend is not having any mosquito problems.   ::)

:D

Percy

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on July 10, 2016, 06:04:41 PM

https://youtu.be/-s4CpUlkZ-Y

The 25 hp kohler I had on my edger behaved similar to that when dufus employee put way too much oil in after an oil change....Just a thot....
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

red

Could have somthin to do with Grits ?
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Ga Mtn Man

Never mind his "minor" engine smoke issue.  What I want to know is how he keeps his mill so clean? ???
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Chuck White

Definitely "not good"!   :-\

Hope he gets the service that you did!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

Sixacresand

Reminds me of my daddy's willis jeep truck.  "Fill it up with oil and check the gas".
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

dgdrls

Yikes!!  :o

Looks like it's getting oil injection
reed valve/PCV valve??

D

larrydown60

Had a generator that smoked like that it was 1 qt overfilled kept the skeeters away for a while :laugh: I hope everything is ok

sawmilllawyer

Well he won't have to worry about the Zika virus for a while.
Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Went to visit by buddy with his sick mill today......the problem is the head gasket.
He's already spent $1500 on the new cam shaft and probably close to that will be on the head gasket.
He's probably gonna order a new engine.

Dewey

Have you checked the oil ???  I have had good luck with my Kohlers.. My first had 6500 hrs and blew a head gasket , it didn't smoke but lost power. My 2nd one currently has 4000 hrs....  I run Mobil One in them change oil every 80-100 hours...
One thing that has happened to both of them though ,,, is if the fuel pump where you add oil  has a rubber diaphragm and it cracks  ,it will run fuel into the base and smoke like a SOB...  Just a thought...  oil pump is around $125

Quebecnewf

Can you expand on that last post a bit more. Not sure what you mean

Quebecnewf

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Gas is getting into the oil.

uler3161

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on July 11, 2016, 06:35:10 PM
Went to visit by buddy with his sick mill today......the problem is the head gasket.
He's already spent $1500 on the new cam shaft and probably close to that will be on the head gasket.

How in the world does anyone spend $1500 on a camshaft let alone a head gasket?
1989 LT40HD, WoodMaster 718

Dan

Kbeitz

Quote from: uler3161 on July 11, 2016, 11:21:39 PM
Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on July 11, 2016, 06:35:10 PM

How in the world does anyone spend $1500 on a camshaft let alone a head gasket?

I was thinking the same thing...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

scully

If a problem on one of those can't get fixed for no more than 500 $ TOPS ! I would be getting a new motor ! And most likely a Honda .
I bleed orange  .

Ox

Quote from: Quebecnewf on July 11, 2016, 08:53:56 PM
Can you expand on that last post a bit more. Not sure what you mean

It means that gas will leak into the crankcase effectively raising the oil level to higher than it should be causing the smoke problem, not to mention diluting the oil which is also bad.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Quebecnewf

In what way is the fuel pump which is pumping fuel connected to the base to allow gas to leak into the base. Is it through linkage or a pulse hose or some other way?

Quebecnewf

Dewey

I you look at the front of the motor....  the valve cover on the side opposite the ignition where you put oil in doubles as the fuel pump there is a diaphragm that may split so that when it is running it will leak oil down past the valves into the base it has happened to me twice.. when the fuel leaks through the oil level comes up and it smokes ALLOT...

Thank You Sponsors!