iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Walnut Log I Sawed Up Saturday

Started by EZ, November 07, 2004, 04:57:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EZ

This is a 36 inch dia. Walnut with Root ball we did Saturday.

This is a picture in the board that my wife says looks like Moses, I said it's the Old Man In The Tree. ;D

Mark M

rvrdivr

By God it is DanG!

That was good Mark M. You had me on the floor laghing :D

Nice log EZ and what nice grain!  :o
Thanks for da pics.

Fla._Deadheader

You done good.  That's a lot of log for one of dem " homebuilt" mills that won't work.  ;) ;D ;D  Nicely done, EZ.

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

customsawyer

Looks great the log, the mill, the lumber. Have some pic. to post myself can't figure it out though since still newbie. Son will be home monday from college hoping he can help.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

chet

EZ,
Looks like yur makin' da mill earn her keep.  ;)  Yur mill looked real purty when you first posted a pic of her in her new paint job, but I think she looks a lot purtier with dat big ole hunk of wood on her.  :)
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

EZ

Never really thought about that it looks like DanG, but since I look at it again you guys are right. ;D
Thanks FD, I'm purty proud of my homebuilt.
I agree, Chet, it does look better with that big log on it. Hard to keep em looking purty when ya use them. ;D
EZ

hillbilly

It all looks pretty  8) to me ,log ,mill, and boards .
                EZ did you put hyd on you home built frame last winter ? I like the looks of your log stops ;) are those Bakers or your own.
              One more question when you are cutting walnut such as that what do you do with the herat or pith cut on threw or box it for something else?
              I'm just full of questions today ::)  

hillbilly

EZ

Hillbilly, aint got hyd on her yet, still trying to figure out if I want them on or not. Winch for loading logs seems to work good for me cause of the places most of the logs are at. Some are stuck in the mud, some are under water, some are down hill from the mill.
The only thing left that is Baker are the band wheels, and covers. I have one squaring arm in the middle of the frame and two that are set at 7 foot for when I turn a log or cant. The up and down is elec.
I usally box it, but it depends on what the customer wants, for me its fire wood.
EZ

Norm

Looks great EZ, that frame is better than any factory made one hands down. One of my favorite woods to cut is walnut, the colors of it fresh cut stay for just a short while. Thanks for showing us. :)

EZ

The owner of the log was looking for the best grain out of each board. He was an ex circle sawyer and knowed what he was looking for. He was'nt very happy with the boards until the wind dried the outer face off and then he could see the grain which made him a happy camper. He took one of the boards inside and planed it and had a smile from ear to ear.
He gave me the roots that he cut off and I sawed one up on my bandsaw and it is curly. ;D
Very nice man and learned some things about lumber from him.
This is the best thing I like about custom sawing.
EZ

Paschale

Beautiful stuff, there EZ!  Sounds like a heck of a good time all around.  You've probably answered this in another post, but I'm always curious how guys have handled the log-moving part of milling.  How do you handle your logs, getting them up on the mill?

Thanks for sharing the pics!
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Buzz-sawyer

EZ
My family saw 3 mosses' errrrrrrrr DanG's I mean ;) :)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

WV_hillbilly

That's  a way to load test your mill there EZ . It looks like you  made somenice boards out of that log .
Hillbilly

EZ

Paschale,
The 12 volt winch is mounted on a 4 inch square tubing, that hinges down the side to get it out of my way when sawing. When I have it up it stands 2 foot high, I run the cable over top of the log and down under it and bring the cable back to a V cable that is mounted on the mill. The V shape cable helps it stay on the ramps.
When turning the big logs I have a hook that I hook on the winch cable. More or less like you would use a cant hook accept I can get a big enough bite to turn it 180 in no time at all. Hope this is pretty clear. Sometime I will take some pictures of how I do it, load and turn logs that is. :
 Thanks Dan, its nice to have a frame that I dont have to worry about releveling every time I turn a log.
Buzz, my wife says she can see 3 of them also, I only can see one. ::) ;D
EZ

Dugsaws

that is a nice log ez wish they grew that big here :'(
Doug

hillbilly

Thanks for the info EZ,
                   I have a timber king 1220 it is probably about the same size as your Baker was I'm working on making the frame something like what you have now.GOOD LOOKING MACHINE youve got there I'd be real proud of it.
                hillbilly

T_in_SC

Great looking log and mill, EZ.  What size steel did you use for the bed?

DanG

:D :D :D :D :D  That a DanG handsome board, to be sure. ;D

Great job on the mill, EZ. My hat's off to all of you guys that built your own. :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

EZ

T-in-SC, The main beam on the one side is a 4x8, 1/4 thick tubing. The rest is 4x4, 1/4 tubing, the bunks are 1 1/2 x 6, 3/16.
EZ

EZ

Thanks DanG.
That board was pretty handsome. :D
EZ

Buzz-sawyer

HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

EZ

I offered to buy the board from the guy, he said he would think about it. I called him a couple weeks ago and ask him again and he said he was still thinking about it. ::)
EZ

Duncan

You shoud finish it and frame it.  Then sell it on E-bay.  Maybe 5000$ minimum.  It dosen't look like moses to me but I can see how someone else could get that Idea.  Some people really value those kinds of things.

Interesting.
Kelly

Thank You Sponsors!