iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

where do i find new replacement band saw wheels and tires

Started by hotbabehunter, July 10, 2016, 01:53:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotbabehunter

--does someone know where I can find replacement band saw wheels and tires.

--I am trying to fix an old portable band sawmill /get it running.

--I noticed one wheel seems to wobble a bit when I spun it by hand. not much but enough to bother me.

--the wheel is thick cast aluminum  17  13/16 inches wide.    1/16 more then 17 and 3/4 inches.

--I have been told that the blue URETHANE BAND SAW TIRES are not strong enough to take a 24 horsepower engine?     

--the tire is  1 and 1/2 inches wide.

--I have also been told there are rubber, reinforced grooved tires available that ride inside grooved wheels.

--I am still trying to figure out who made this saw mill, identify it, if a company built it etc.  my first post.

Den-Den

You may think that you can or may think you can't; either way, you are right.

Larry

Woodworkers Tool Works sells several varieties of tires and also makes custom tires of any size.  They also sell the glue you will need to stick em to your wheels.

Other than belts, tires are unusual on a sawmill.  They are common on shop band saws and some of those are as big as sawmills.

After you get new tires you will have to figure out a way to put a crown on the tires.  Doing it on the mill is the most accurate way.  Over the years I've put crowns on by using the lathe, milling machine, and edge sander depending on what I had at the time.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

ozarkgem

If you don't have very much wobble and you are sure its not the shaft or bearing then think about taking it to a machine shop and have the wobble turned off of it. Looks like the wheels are for 2" bands but the diameter is too small for them. You could have them narrowed to take  1 /14 bands. If you go to changing wheels you will do a lot of retrofitting. Cheaper to turn yours and bolt them back on.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

Larry

If he has a machine shop correct the wobble that will throw the wheel out of balance and cause vibration.  Of course the wheel could be re-balanced if the shop has the right equipment.  That's the reason its best to crown the tires while the wheel is on the machine. 

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

ozarkgem

depends on how much wobble there is. Nothing to lose but some machine time and it may be a lot cheaper than retro fitting everything to different wheels. At least all my retro fits have been way more expensive than going back to original.  :D
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

Thehardway

Timberwolf/Suffolk Machinery sells them.  I would call and specifically ask them if they will hold up on your saw.  I see no reason why they wouldn't.  I don;t know the specifics of your saw but typically the urethane tires are only used on the non-driven wheel.  The other wheel is driven by the drive belt and the band rides on it.  The drive wheel is the one that takes the abuse of higher HP.  unless the saw is over tensioned or improperly aligned or set up,  I don't see why it would be an issue using urethane but I could be wrong.
Norwood LM2000 24HP w/28' bed, Hudson Oscar 18" 32' bed, Woodmaster 718 planer,  Kubota L185D, Stihl 029, Husqvarna 550XP

Thehardway

I was referring to the tires only.

Hudson equipment sells wheels and tires for them.  Don;t know if they would fit your mounting system.
Norwood LM2000 24HP w/28' bed, Hudson Oscar 18" 32' bed, Woodmaster 718 planer,  Kubota L185D, Stihl 029, Husqvarna 550XP

Thank You Sponsors!