iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Question about Cotton wood

Started by BigZ La, July 09, 2016, 11:35:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigZ La

I have alot of large cottonwood available to me. I'm thinking about having some cut into boards for some future projects. My question is, I have found a reasonable place to have it treated for a barn project I want to build. He will treat it to .8 marine level CCA. Thoughts on whether it's worth it or not. Most of this cottonwood is floaters from the Mississippi River. Thanks for any help. Jeff

Note that I have researched what I can and it's about the same as cypress but without the natural rot resistance which the treatment should give it.

5quarter

If it is the eastern Cottonwood we have here, many of the barns here used cottonwood. most are still in use 80-90 years later. Cottonwood will last a long time as long as there is good air flow, allowing it to dry quickly after getting wet. I would only treat those parts of the barn that may see ground contact. also, I would saw it and put it up green...cottonwood likes to twist and shout.  ;)
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

opticsguy

My experience with cottonwood, depends on the tree.  Some trees provide great flat wood and others will jump off the sawmill and bite you.  Do not leave any cotton wood out in the sunshine for long as it will warp.  Also boards that are cut flat might remain flat but over time can crown simply as time passes. I cut 2"x6" x12' late afternoon yesterday and this morning the boards are still flat but now with a 3/4" crown. My 2x6 are cut 2x7 to allow for this.
TK 1220 band mill,  1952 Ford F-2, 1925 Dodge touring, too many telescopes.

autotomk

We used michigan cottonwood for beams and perils for our sawmill pole building.  Masive trees, took my lt25 to the trees . Dropped them , pretty much left them where Thay fell, and pulled my mill next to but log ( 161/2 ft. Almost max saw able length for mill) and sawed them full 2 inch  as wide as posible.  Pulled the rest of the loges to the mill.to saw.  Quite.an experience for us.  Hauled everything home sticker ed for a year covered with sides of stack open.  Then resawed top of boards for 12 in to 13 in beams. Worked great. The perils where another story.  When I re sawed.some of the 2 bys.into 2x4s thay sprang all over the place, posibly because.thay were the upper logs????? But thay did make.good air dried.dimentional fire.wood :):)  sooo that's my experience with michigan cotton.wood. L would do.it again ,just no 2x4s    man does.that fresh sawed coton.wood stink:):):)
To God be the glory.

Brian C.

We put cottonwood on a trailer deck 3 years ago at 1-1/2 inches thick. The deck still looks great and function well, no major problems or damage. You are right-it smells worse than the horse manure our mill sits next to.

rjwoelk

Here in canada we have Black Poplar, it was used for Barn floors as the manure would not bother it.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

buzywoodliff

I heard second-hand to always fall cottonwood and poplar in the winter... Any input about that?

(I'm also in Michigan)

BigZ La

Thanks for all the reply's.
Most of these have been down for a while and most of the sap wood is gone.
Does anyone have an opinion on getting it CCA treated? It's not a bad price
Thanks again

Thank You Sponsors!