iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Doors on gable end or drip side

Started by brendonv, July 08, 2016, 05:24:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brendonv

This is a never ending mind dilemma for me. When I think I have it decided I then change my mind.

Is there any better option in regards to having the vehicle garage doors on the gable end of the building, or along the drip side of a building (lacking proper term).
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

sprucebunny

I chose the gable end because I have a steel roof.
Even in CT you might have an ice build up under the drip side and in the summer when it's pouring rain there would be less splatter on the gable end.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

thecfarm

I have mine on the gable ends. I fought with water dripping off the eves in the winter at my other house when the garage door was on the eves side. Somtimes I would have to chip it away beceuse it would really start to build up.Lots of salt was used. I even think I just about fell a few times too. No way was I fighting the ice build up here. But that house was faced so it got the sun just about all day too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Brian_Weekley

I also vote for the door on the gable end for the reasons noted above.  The New England style barn (with the gable end doors) superseded the English style, 3 bay barn (with the doors on the sidewall).  Besides, I think the New England-style barn really looks smart if you also include a nice transom window over the doors!

e aho laula

Dave Shepard

Gable due to snow issues. We have a lot of big barns here with metal roofs, I'm sure you remember, and you can get huge piles of snow in front of the doors.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

brendonv

Thanks!  I like the look of doors on gable ends. I considered drip side only to keep building height lower. But the way i am with my stuff the snow dropping snd rain dripping would drive me nuts in front of doors or on vehicles
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

Dave Shepard

Depending on the size of the roof, and the weather conditions, you can get an avalanche that would crush a vehicle.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Thank You Sponsors!