iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Killed my Sawing Boots

Started by Magicman, July 08, 2016, 12:16:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Yup, a day on the hot John Deere released the sole on one of my John Deere steel toe boots.

I am hoping that the Goop (Shoe Goo) will glue the sole back on because these are very comfortable boots.  But just in case;

This pair of Wolverine steel toe boots just arrived and are standing by.  I do not saw without foot protection.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

taylorsmissbeehaven

I sure do hate it when a good pair of boots finally give up! Shows they have been busy though.  I hope the repair works for ya. Fine pair waiting if it don't. Brian
Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

Savannahdan

I bought a pair of Carhartt steel-toed boots a couple of months ago.  They are very comfortable but I may be getting a rash when wearing them.  Have to use my old standby Kmart boots that I bought about 12 years ago.  Those things don't want to wear out other than the crepe sole.
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

YellowHammer

That's what happens when you're not sawing....those are sawmill boots!  :D :D :D
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

woodmills1

All red wing, even my sneakers.  The boots may be pricey, but they can be resoled and rebuilt and you get free stitching and laces for life.  If you go to the store take a look at the collection of reduced priced boots that are being discontinued, I have saved big, though you will do better with larger or smaller than average sizes.  My   10 1/2 size tends to sell quick
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Magicman

Back in the days when I was climbing (and my pay scale was higher) I wore Red Wings.  I understand that they now have two different levels.   smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsdown
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Glad to see "GOOP" fixed your boot.

Personally I use "HOOF". It comes in a tube also.  :D :D :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Kbeitz

All I wear is Red Wings... My wife bitches because I wear the same boots for years...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Dave Shepard

I used to wear Redwings, but they just aren't wide enough. Can't seem to get any decent boot that is wide enough, actually.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Savannahdan

I still have a pair of Redwings that I bought in 1977 in Paducah, Ky.  Had to have the soles and heels replaced and the cobbler put Vibram on the boots.  They are heavy and have a composite toe.  I need to get a pair of gel inserts to make them more comfortable.
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

bluthum

Seems to me that the modern shoes with several types of material [read plastic/composite] comprising the soles tend to come apart with age before being worn through by the abrasion of walking. Maybe as the different materials age and stretch/contract at different rates the adhesives can't keep up.

I like modern shoes [thank you gore tex and friends] very much and believe you can get more hard walking miles out of them than older ones. Years of not so aggressive use maybe not so much.

Magicman

I have worn these Wolverines today and I do not believe that they will require any serious break-in period.  I will not wear the others until I am sure that the HOOF Goop has properly cured.  I understand that Goat Pee is a foolproof curing agent.  At least you can then find your boots in the dark.

Satamax

Guys, if ever you get the urge of getting some shoes which are not made in the usa, but not taiwanese either.

There's two brands i realy like.

Galibier, french make.

http://www.chaussure-paraboot.com/fr/montagne/79-chaussure-de-montagne-cuir-superguide-galibier-cousu-norvegien-marron-homme-3606620273373.html

http://www.chaussure-paraboot.com/fr/5-bucheron

They have a norwegian welt. Suposedely even tougher than the good year welt.

And there's one model from the Swiss brand Stuco. The mechanics at the chairlift company i work for in the winter; get provided with those. Tough as .....

http://shop.stuco.com/en/default/index/article/id/32.671.00
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

ozarkgem

Quote from: Satamax on July 09, 2016, 01:52:21 AM
Guys, if ever you get the urge of getting some shoes which are not made in the usa, but not taiwanese either.

Galibier, french make.

http://www.chaussure-paraboot.com/fr/montagne/79-chaussure-de-montagne-cuir-superguide-galibier-cousu-norvegien-marron-homme-3606620273373.html

And there's one model from the Swiss brand Stuco. The mechanics at the chairlift company i work for in the winter; get provided with those. Tough as .....

The French boots look like good boots. Look like the hiking boots from the 70's
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

kelLOGg

I have had very good luck with Shoe Goo, so maybe you will end up with two pairs.
I bought steel-toed Rocky's from a local tool supplier and they are as comfortable as bedroom slippers. I had never heard of the brand but I am very satisfied with them.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

petefrom bearswamp

Old boots are like a good woman, long wearing and comfortable.
Have had  2 pairs of Redwing Irish setter moc toe boots wore out one and still have the other but rarely wear them anymore.
Still have 2 pair of RW work boots one soft and the other steel toe.
My problem now is an issue with my right foot and cant wear the RW's even with the custom made orthotic.
Was told that the only ones made here now are the style I have.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Satamax

Quote from: ozarkgem on July 09, 2016, 06:21:24 AM
Quote from: Satamax on July 09, 2016, 01:52:21 AM

Galibier, french make.

The French boots look like good boots. Look like the hiking boots from the 70's

Basicaly, that's what the first ones are. The second Galibier link shows lumberjack ones. They have steel toe caps, and are fiber reinforced, to avoid the chainsaw cutting into them.
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Kasba

We have a local company called Vyberg that custom make their boots for you. They are expensive and start around 350 and up. I finally Decide to buy a pair and was impressed, it is not uncommon for me to wear my boots from 4 am to 11 pm, They are more comfortable than my sneakers. I also like the fact that for around $75 they will resole them and do any repairs for as long as you own them, as well as guarantee the fit.
Timbery M285 25hp, Husqvarna 570 auto tune, Alaskan sawmill, Nova 1624 wood lathe, Dogo Argentino

ppine

I lost a heel on a pair of Danner logging boots doing some field work in rough mountains.  It was about a 10 mile walk out with a "flat tire."

A friend of mine resoled his White's 9 times when I knew him in 1980.
Forester

Magicman

I have had Red Wings, Carhartts, Danner, John Deere, so now let's see how the Wolverines hold up.   ::)

The Goop seems to have cured nicely, so I may have saved the John Deeres.  Time will tell.   :P

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

Gotcha Goat.  smiley_curtain_peek

fishfighter

Quote from: Magicman on July 09, 2016, 07:23:16 PM
I have had Red Wings, Carhartts, Danner, John Deere, so now let's see how the Wolverines hold up.   ::)

The Goop seems to have cured nicely, so I may have saved the John Deeres.  Time will tell.   :P

Those Wolverines are not even close to RW's. Every pair I bought lasted about a year and a half. RW's, always got many years out of them. The company I worked for bought new boots every year. So, yes, I have a few new pairs in the boxes. ;D

PineNut

I have used Shoe Goo and it has worked well for me. I put pressure on the repair and keep it under pressure for two or three days. Usually put the shoe in a vise.

4x4American

I bought a pair of red wings once.  ONCE...to me they are junk.  They were in the high $200's - low $300's cant remember, made in China, and they are uncomfortable and flimsy.  A pair of the made in USA Chippewas last me quite a while.  But they are too heavy and hot for the summer.  So I get the Herman Survivors the tall "logger" ones and they are real comfrtable.  Not good for shop work tho.. I melted a hole in both of the soles the other day and they weren't but 2 days old.  I was cutting out notches for the forks on my pallet forks and wasn't paying attn and stepped on the cut out piece of molten steel.  Tell you what though, anyone needs dancing lessons come over to my shop I'll get your feet a shufflin!
Boy, back in my day..

Thank You Sponsors!