iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LT40 HD ELECTRICAL ISSUES?

Started by wheeling1, July 08, 2016, 10:43:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wheeling1

I just purchased a used 1994 LT40 HD and we have cut around 800bf with it so far.
Some issues so far.
1) The first time we started it a white plume of smoke came off the throttle cable so we shut it off and assumed it was having ground issues. We added another ground wire from the battery to the battery box and that fixed that.
2) When the saw head is back touching the contact strip sometimes the electric system stops working.  The up/down wont work, the forward/back everything stops working. To fix it we turn off the mill and start it back up and all is well again.  any suggestions on how to trouble shoot this problem?
Ecc 3:13  And also that every man should eat and drink, and enjoy the good of all his labour, it is the gift of God.

Magicman

The up/down and power feed motors have nothing to do with the contact strip.  I suspect that you still have a problem with either or both the grounding or the "hot" battery lead(s).  Disconnect, clean, and secure each connection.  Be sure that the ground is to the sawmill frame.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

tnaz

Welcome Wheeling1, hope Mr. MagicMan got you fixed up.  If you feel like posting pictures of your milling it gives folks like me without a mill a little saw dust too.

Good luck,

Terry

Magicman

I got so involved with your problem that I overlooked adding my Welcome to the Forestry Forum, wheeling1.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

wheeling1

Thanks for the information and warm welcome. I just ordered some dielectric grease and I was planing on sanding and checking all the battery connections and terminals.
Existing ground wire to the frame and other wires that might be frayed.
More questions.
Do you guys let down the tension after your done sawing for the day?
The mill has a debarker but it is missing a carbide tooth and the other teeth are not in very sharp condition. should I stop using it till I get a new blade, or run it as is?

Thanks again for your wisdom and help.
Ecc 3:13  And also that every man should eat and drink, and enjoy the good of all his labour, it is the gift of God.

Magicman

I always remove the blade at the end of the day, but operators manual says to release the blade tension.  I would use the Debarker with the snaggle tooth blade.  I certainly have in the past.

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, wheeling1!

I'm like Lynn (MagicMan), I not only release the tension, but I also remove the blade at the end of the day!

I hate rusty blades!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

wheeling1

Thanks for the info. The handle that adjusts the blade tracking is locked in place because the set screw is snapped off. It is tracking fine now but should I make it a priority to get this fixed?

4x4American

On your contact strip portion, do you have the contactor contacting enough?  Also, you might have to take a brillo pad to that thing to get it nice and shiny. 
Boy, back in my day..

Magicman

The contact strip only affects the hydraulics, but along those lines, there is a ground contact riding along the lower rail that probably needs attention.

Ga Mtn Man

Quote from: wheeling1 on July 09, 2016, 12:50:19 PM
Thanks for the info. The handle that adjusts the blade tracking is locked in place because the set screw is snapped off. It is tracking fine now but should I make it a priority to get this fixed?

Did you mean blade tension rather than blade tracking?  I've never seen a handle on a WM mill to adjust the tracking.  But then again, I've not seen that many different WM mills either.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Chuck White

The handle on the front side of the driven band-wheel housing adjusts the in/out tracking of the band!

Just sayin'!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Ga Mtn Man

I've never had to adjust mine so I wasn't aware of this handle of which you speak. :-[     I will have to have a look for it tomorrow.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

barbender

It's there, GMM ;) It's close enough to the tensioner lever that I used to accidentally grab the tracking handle when I was trying to adjust tension.
Too many irons in the fire

Chuck White

MartyParsons

Hello,
    Blade tracking handle was used on earlier versions. They now use a bolt so the handle is not turned by accident thinking it was blade tension. You should not need to adjust this very often if ever.
   The debarker blade missing a tooth should not be an issue. You should be able to use it with out any safety or mechanical issues. It may not remove the bark or dirt like a new blade though. New Debarker blades are around $ 50.00

Hope this helps.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Chuck White

The 1994 model should have the same type adjustment handle as my 1995 model does.

sparks

Your issue is a bad ground for the hydraulics. The contact strip will not cause the ground to change. The ground block will be your issue. If it is not making a good ground it will look for the least path a resistance. Throttle cable, cam follower bearing etc. Put on lead of you meter on the welded rod the ground block touches and the other on the ground block. Operate the hydraulics. You should read no more than 1 volt.  Hopes this helps
\"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.\" Abraham Lincoln

wheeling1

Thank you guys for the great information. I think because this mill just sat idle for a while that alot of the connections need to be cleaned up and reconnected. I will let you know how it goes this week. My sawyer is back from vacation so it is time to make some lumber  8)   

wheeling1

We cleaned up the brass grounding block and some connectors and after 2 days of sawing we have had no electrical issues with the mill.  Thanks again for your help with this little issue. I attached a few pictures of the mill. Maybe this winter we will give it a face lift, but for now it is all about function over beauty.

tnaz

Looking good.  Just need more pictures! :D :D

Magicman

All that sawmill needed was to be brought back up to operating condition.  You did good.   8)

Thank You Sponsors!