iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woolly Adelgid

Started by Norway Pine, July 07, 2016, 10:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norway Pine

Hey folks, there's a hemlock on the neighbors property that's got the Woolly Adelgid. Few problems 1-don't see eye to eye with the neighbor, 2-well that's about it, anyway I mentioned it to him and he took action but he only clipped a bunch of branches off the bottom . I'm wondering if that's actually gonna solve the issue or should I mention something to him because now I can't see if those white clusters are still on there cause all the lower branches are gone. Grew up around the neighborhood and on the plus side there aren't any hemlocks that I know of for a half mile or so radius (but I could always be wrong...)

plantman

Wooly Adelgid  doesn't attack many trees. Primarily conifers including spruce, hemlock, pine, yew, fir. If you suspect your trees and shrubs had adelgid or other insect problems last year, now would be a good time to think about spraying your plants with a dormant oil . Dormant oil sprays are typically applied when day time temps are above 50 degrees and less than 65 . Effective application necessitates that the tree be thoroughly covered by the oil spray. Dormant oil is none toxic and more effective than many insecticides in my experience.

Skip

I had them all over a large maple by the back beck 2 yrs ago sprayed with Neem oil and haven't seen them since.

plantman

Quote from: Skip on March 25, 2017, 09:41:54 AM
I had them all over a large maple by the back beck 2 yrs ago sprayed with Neem oil and haven't seen them since.

Never saw it on maple where I live, mostly on hemlocks, yews, fir and spruce. A friend bought a Christmas tree and after bringing it inside for a couple weeks the wooly adelgid  became active and they noticed the tell tale white cottony substance on the tree needles.

Thank You Sponsors!