iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bridge Building....Finally

Started by Magicman, July 07, 2016, 10:09:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kbeitz

Magicman...
It's great to see someone else building bridges.
Looks like you did a great job...
I like it...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Magicman

Thanks.

Lets see, I count about a dozen White Oak slabs @ $300 each plus poles & hardware makes this a $4000 bridge.  :o

Since this one should easily last 20 years, I'll let my trainees build the next one.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Hopefully, it won't get washed down the creek.  I would not sell you any bridge insurance  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Ron Scott

~Ron

Magicman

Thanks Ron.

Quote from: WDH on July 09, 2016, 10:47:58 AM
Hopefully, it won't get washed down the creek.
There is no question that the high water will make an "adjustment" and will leave the bridge covered with sand and limbs.  The upstream side is lower than the downstream side to try to prevent the force of the water from giving additional lift.  Of course there is the flotation factor that we can not control but it is pulled down tight with the anchors.

I would have needed at least 75' poles to put the bridge in any other location.  We did consider building headwalls to raise each end, but in the end we took the easy way out, so we can only hold on and hope for the best.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: Magicman on July 09, 2016, 09:32:28 AM
Since this one should easily last 20 years, I'll let my trainees build the next one.   ;D

MM,

You will still probably have to supervise but maybe they can do the heavy lifting.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

Actually my trainees partially succeeded in keeping me in a supervisory position with this one.  ;)   smiley_old_guy

Just Me

Dang it!

You guys are making me wish I had a creek on my property just so I could build a bridge.

Nice work.

Magicman

I'll have to agree that bridges are fun, especially after they are built.   ;D

I have never seen the "Straw Field" after a heavy rain because you can not get there.  I did have a trail camera back there once and the picture that it took was actually scary.  I wish I still had that picture.   :-\

thecfarm

No streams,brooks for me to cross. Just the bog.
It all looks good.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

roger 4400

I'm making a bridge also. 12 ft span so using some 16 ft hemlocks, side by side no gap ( to hold the tractor). I did square them at 10 in on 2 sides only, next week will take out the bridge that collapse and will use  the tractor bucket as a crane to fit those heavy logs.  Over it I will put some 2 in. white pine ( have a lot of them ) . I do not know if it is better to put a layer of ** tar paper** ( the one we use as underlaying on roof) between the hemlock and the pine, so the hemlock will never be wet.......do not know if it is going to be good  ???
I also have many 4 to 6 ft creek that need replacing I might use some 3 in. pine that should be ok if there is a support in the middle.
Nice bridge MM, my bridge span are  shorter than yours....luckily  :D

Baker 18hd sawmill, massey Ferguson 1643, Farmi winch, mini forwarder, Honda foreman 400, f-250, many wood working tools, 200 acres wooden lots,6 kids and a lovely and a comprehensive wife...and now a Metavic 1150 m14 log loader so my tractor is a forwarder now

H.O.D.

Great bridge building by everyone. I placed many poles and anchors in my 35 years at the phone co. We had a large pile of busted poles that got used for many things..this included the nearly new ones from car pole accidents. Did see one bridge  built using salvage 10M strand for a suspention type but you need a high start point on each with good anchors. Does cure most wash out problems in the right situation.

OneWithWood

One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Czech_Made

timberlinetree

Nice job! I fell through a small stone bridge with the skidder. That woke me up! We built this bridge .

I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

Larry

The best part about this story is you provided some young-uns some experience and skills they will remember for a life time.

Good on you MM. :) 8) 8) 8) :)
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

SwampDonkey

Quote from: loggah on July 08, 2016, 06:39:42 AM
Looking good !!!! I still envy you on your rock free property!! ;D you wont get any post hole digger to work around here!! ;D

Same here. But yet, at mom's father's place the area of land where they built on was ancient silt loam from when the river receded eons ago. No rocks and they used hand post hole diggers around there easily in that nice loam. But as soon as you climb back  over the hills it's shale and rock mixed in the top soil. ;D

Nice looking bridge. Great to have some help. I would typically see wheel decking across the span of the bridge where the tire traffic is, on many forestry bridges up here.

x2 to what Larry said. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

No wheel decking because it would catch dirt/sand and retain moisture which would rot the boards.  That is also another reason for the wide board spacing.  We once placed two stringers side by side on each side.  That also trapped sand/dirt and caused the poles to rot.

SwampDonkey

Yep, the boards are spaced like you have and then the wheel ones only as wide as two wheel widths on each side. That what you tried before? Wood is wood I guess, it all breaks down in time. I am guessing the ones here last around 10 years tops unless stringers are steel.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

dmartin

Very nice work Magicman and well thought out, I like it. I like the idea of the slight tilt to prevent lift during high water. Good idea.

Dwight

Magicman

We discussed high water in a few replies such as Reply #29.  We got a nice "flash flood" a couple of weeks ago.

Judging by the height of the debris there was probably a foot of water over the bridge.  There was no sign of any floating or lifting, but this flood was kinda minor.  During/after some Spring rains, the water will be probably be 3'-4' over the bridge.  Anyway, I am happy that so far, so good.   ;)

LeeB

Lots of kindling there. One must always look for the bright side.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Thank You Sponsors!