iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bridge Building....Finally

Started by Magicman, July 07, 2016, 10:09:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Several years ago a huge Red Oak caved into the creek, caused a swirl, and the result was the entire "far" side of my main bridge gave way and had to be abandoned.  It has been a pain driving ½ mile to get 100 yards.  :-\

Last Fall I finally got some more poles so I pulled them across the new bridge site. 

Well the rains came and they did this.  Jeff and I both made videos of me trying to arrange the poles so that they could at least be walked across.  Well, no more.

We measured the tractor rear wheels to determine the pole spacing and started digging anchor holes.

We got them all where we wanted them.

This is the anchors that we used.  Four foot 1" rods with the 12" bell and spreader on the business end.  You can see one already set.

Post hole digger handles disappearing into the 12" holes.

The anchor is (busted) set.

Galvanized steel cable is looped from anchor to anchor across the poles.

And clamped together.  Now we need decking.  I hopefully have enough 2" White Oak slabs that will serve as decking.

The scraper blade will keep the tractor from flipping over backwards, but the bridge site is ¾ mile away.

Look Mamma, no hands!!

I got there without loosing any boards.

Marty, Ben, & Luke finishing the last anchor hole before we can nail the bridge decking on.

Four tired soldiers.

I went back the next morning, popped a line and trimmed all of the decking.  I had to use some shorter Red Oak boards on each end, but I have already spotted a nice White Oak that will replace them.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

GREAT, GREAT, GREAT pictures!  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WV Sawmiller

I'm happy for you and envious of the good looking help and tractor. What kind of poles did you use? Around here locust is preferred if you can find a good solid pole. Lots of them not are getting bad spots in the locusts.

Nice wide boards. The last bridge timbers I cut were 3" thick white oak and my customer and I found out real quick they were too heavy for us to handle those wide ones so we cut them 5-6 inches wide. He used a 2X as a spacer between each plank to let the snow through and also allowed him to get by with less planks.

Anyway, I trust you will enjoy that new bridge and remember the fun times building it (even if it didn't seem like much fun at the time).
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

Those were reclaimed treated utility poles.  Good ones are kinda hard to come by is what took me so long.  I could never find Black Locust large and long enough to serve as bridge stringers.  I have found that 2" decking is perfect for my use and they are spaced ~4" apart.  The spacing allows the water to flow more freely to keep the bridge from becoming a "sail" because high water will be 3' to 4' above the bridge.  That is also the reason for the anchors.  That creek catches over 6 sq miles of watershed.  :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

pineywoods

MM, looks like you needed some ballast on that tractor. where's PC when you needed him ?  ;D
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Ljohnsaw

Is the bridge just used for walking and the golf cart or do you take your tractor over it as well?  You've got 5 good looking poles, but that is quite a span!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

loggah

Looking good !!!! I still envy you on your rock free property!! ;D you wont get any post hole digger to work around here!! ;D
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Savannahdan

Nice! It just makes you want to drive or walk across it.  Inviting.
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

red

Nice well planned project .  I always knew you were a bridge builder with all the Good Work you do .
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Ox

Loggah, that's exactly what I was thinking and was going to post!  Up here on my little mountain the bedrock is between 6" to a foot and a half down.  Good for setting poles with no settling but that's it.  I'd rather have the soil that they have down south. 

Nice pics, MM and thanks for sharing.  Very nice project.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Magicman

Absolutely no rocks here.  The debris that is seen in the creek bed is bricks and chunks of concrete that we hauled in when this creek crossing was a ford.

Quote from: ljohnsaw on July 08, 2016, 12:24:07 AM
Is the bridge just used for walking and the golf cart or do you take your tractor over it as well?  You've got 5 good looking poles, but that is quite a span!
Yes, it is a tractor/implement crossing as well.  The three longer poles are 40' class 3 and the two shorter ones are 35' class 4.

LeeB

I recon I must have skipped school for both of those classes.  :D Want to elaborate a little on what that means?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Magicman

Sorry, the diameter of a pole is designated as "class".  As with wire, the larger the pole, the smaller the class number.

WV Sawmiller

Good looking poles. I wonder where someone who retired from a phone company would find such. Good looking anchors too. :D

I have a good friend here who retired from the power company and he has a big garden area fenced in to keep the deer out. All his posts are big cut off power poles and there is only one place in the area with a Polecat rig big enough to bore a hole that big and deep and set the posts. 8)

Enjoy.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Czech_Made

Job well done!

Never seen anchors like that before, thanks for posting.

Magicman

That type anchors are no longer used which is why they were available to me.  They only use screw anchors here now.

It took a long time for me to get poles that good, and I hauled them on a "Hay Express".   :D

OlJarhead

As a guy that works for the phone company I can tell you that we often have yards, or our contractors do, with damaged poles in them.  The trick is to find 40 footers that broke at the base, cut off the broken part and you've got a 30+ foot pole.

Or, get 7 foot sections from the tops to use for fencing. 

The contractors have to dispose of the poles so will often give them away ;)  You haul.
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: Magicman on July 08, 2016, 12:31:15 PM

It took a long time for me to get poles that good, and I hauled them on a "Hay Express".   :D

My son, who was 6 at the time, and I put a 600' chain link fence around our church cemetery in Albany GA when I was stationed there. The only thing I had long enough to haul the 21' top rail was on my boat and trailer. After I got it loaded I realized I'd need water for the cement and none at the site so I stopped by the public boat landing on the way, removed the plug (on purpose this time) and backed it in the water till about 1/4 full. Pulled it out, put the plug in and went to the job site. Worked like a charm to mix cement. Push the wheelbarrow under, remove the plug till I had right amount, mix and repeat till done. Then just removed the plug and drove home. Worked fine as an ad hoc water bull.

I was also in NC when Hurricane Hugo was headed our way and wife called about what to do with the boat. I was tied up on Base and could not leave so told her to put the plug in and fill it with water. Added weight so it would not blow away in the storm and gave us a reservoir of water if needed. Fortunately for us the storm stopped short of us.
Howard Green

Magicman

I can get shorter poles fairly easily, but 40+ footers aren't readily available.  These had been used temporarily on a road move so they were fresh.

All three of our bridges are now in good shape and should last many years.  These links are the rebuilding of the two other bridges: First (smaller) Bridge and Other (longer) Bridge

Kbeitz

Now your in my department... i have 9 bridges on my home land.
Being that i have a weld shop all my bridges are metal.
Old stop sign post makes great decking.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Magicman

We use stop sign post here also, but they are used to hold up (gasp) stop signs.   :o

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: Kbeitz on July 08, 2016, 07:07:17 PM

Old stop sign post makes great decking.

Kbeitz,

I am scared to ask where the stop sign posts came from (I am also nervous about driving in PA now). :D
Howard Green

Kbeitz

They passed a law here in Pa that we can't use this type of post for our signs anymore. So this type of post is showing up in our junkyards by the thousands 
I can buy them for $1.00 each. That comes to $4.00 per running foot decking.
Not a bad price for something that works so good.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ada Shaker

I've heard half of Brookhaven lost power that night, might explain why? :D
If you experience a population growth in the area, you now know why. ::)
If it hangs to the left, your likely to be a Husqvarna man.
If it hangs to the right, your likely to be a Stihl man.
Anything else is an uncomfortable compromise.
                             AND
Walking with one foot on either side of a barbed wire fence can become extremely uncomfortable at times.

21incher

That is a great looking bridge you built. The decking should age over time and make it look like nature  built it.  They just redid the road that I live on and the power company replaced all the poles with new ones that were 10 feet taller to get more clearance under the wires. I guess I should have tried to get some of the old ones that were removed before they got cut up and hauled away because I need a short bridge in my wet area also. Thanks for sharing.  :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Kbeitz

Magicman...
It's great to see someone else building bridges.
Looks like you did a great job...
I like it...
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Magicman

Thanks.

Lets see, I count about a dozen White Oak slabs @ $300 each plus poles & hardware makes this a $4000 bridge.  :o

Since this one should easily last 20 years, I'll let my trainees build the next one.   ;D

WDH

Hopefully, it won't get washed down the creek.  I would not sell you any bridge insurance  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Ron Scott

~Ron

Magicman

Thanks Ron.

Quote from: WDH on July 09, 2016, 10:47:58 AM
Hopefully, it won't get washed down the creek.
There is no question that the high water will make an "adjustment" and will leave the bridge covered with sand and limbs.  The upstream side is lower than the downstream side to try to prevent the force of the water from giving additional lift.  Of course there is the flotation factor that we can not control but it is pulled down tight with the anchors.

I would have needed at least 75' poles to put the bridge in any other location.  We did consider building headwalls to raise each end, but in the end we took the easy way out, so we can only hold on and hope for the best.

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: Magicman on July 09, 2016, 09:32:28 AM
Since this one should easily last 20 years, I'll let my trainees build the next one.   ;D

MM,

You will still probably have to supervise but maybe they can do the heavy lifting.
Howard Green

Magicman

Actually my trainees partially succeeded in keeping me in a supervisory position with this one.  ;)   smiley_old_guy

Just Me

Dang it!

You guys are making me wish I had a creek on my property just so I could build a bridge.

Nice work.

Magicman

I'll have to agree that bridges are fun, especially after they are built.   ;D

I have never seen the "Straw Field" after a heavy rain because you can not get there.  I did have a trail camera back there once and the picture that it took was actually scary.  I wish I still had that picture.   :-\

thecfarm

No streams,brooks for me to cross. Just the bog.
It all looks good.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

roger 4400

I'm making a bridge also. 12 ft span so using some 16 ft hemlocks, side by side no gap ( to hold the tractor). I did square them at 10 in on 2 sides only, next week will take out the bridge that collapse and will use  the tractor bucket as a crane to fit those heavy logs.  Over it I will put some 2 in. white pine ( have a lot of them ) . I do not know if it is better to put a layer of ** tar paper** ( the one we use as underlaying on roof) between the hemlock and the pine, so the hemlock will never be wet.......do not know if it is going to be good  ???
I also have many 4 to 6 ft creek that need replacing I might use some 3 in. pine that should be ok if there is a support in the middle.
Nice bridge MM, my bridge span are  shorter than yours....luckily  :D

Baker 18hd sawmill, massey Ferguson 1643, Farmi winch, mini forwarder, Honda foreman 400, f-250, many wood working tools, 200 acres wooden lots,6 kids and a lovely and a comprehensive wife...and now a Metavic 1150 m14 log loader so my tractor is a forwarder now

H.O.D.

Great bridge building by everyone. I placed many poles and anchors in my 35 years at the phone co. We had a large pile of busted poles that got used for many things..this included the nearly new ones from car pole accidents. Did see one bridge  built using salvage 10M strand for a suspention type but you need a high start point on each with good anchors. Does cure most wash out problems in the right situation.

OneWithWood

One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Czech_Made

timberlinetree

Nice job! I fell through a small stone bridge with the skidder. That woke me up! We built this bridge .

I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

Larry

The best part about this story is you provided some young-uns some experience and skills they will remember for a life time.

Good on you MM. :) 8) 8) 8) :)
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

SwampDonkey

Quote from: loggah on July 08, 2016, 06:39:42 AM
Looking good !!!! I still envy you on your rock free property!! ;D you wont get any post hole digger to work around here!! ;D

Same here. But yet, at mom's father's place the area of land where they built on was ancient silt loam from when the river receded eons ago. No rocks and they used hand post hole diggers around there easily in that nice loam. But as soon as you climb back  over the hills it's shale and rock mixed in the top soil. ;D

Nice looking bridge. Great to have some help. I would typically see wheel decking across the span of the bridge where the tire traffic is, on many forestry bridges up here.

x2 to what Larry said. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

No wheel decking because it would catch dirt/sand and retain moisture which would rot the boards.  That is also another reason for the wide board spacing.  We once placed two stringers side by side on each side.  That also trapped sand/dirt and caused the poles to rot.

SwampDonkey

Yep, the boards are spaced like you have and then the wheel ones only as wide as two wheel widths on each side. That what you tried before? Wood is wood I guess, it all breaks down in time. I am guessing the ones here last around 10 years tops unless stringers are steel.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

dmartin

Very nice work Magicman and well thought out, I like it. I like the idea of the slight tilt to prevent lift during high water. Good idea.

Dwight

Magicman

We discussed high water in a few replies such as Reply #29.  We got a nice "flash flood" a couple of weeks ago.

Judging by the height of the debris there was probably a foot of water over the bridge.  There was no sign of any floating or lifting, but this flood was kinda minor.  During/after some Spring rains, the water will be probably be 3'-4' over the bridge.  Anyway, I am happy that so far, so good.   ;)

LeeB

Lots of kindling there. One must always look for the bright side.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Thank You Sponsors!