iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

ntc cummins 400 big cam 2

Started by treeslayer2003, July 06, 2016, 10:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

treeslayer2003

who here knows truck engines?
i bought a old freightliner with a 400 cummins. smokes like train, lost a gallon of oil in the 4 miles i drove it. starts well and runs smooth, just oil smoke. i pulled the air intake off the turbo and oil poured out. is the turbo seal all thats wrong or can oil get in there another way?

ohiowoodchuck

How much play is on the turbo shaft. Oil could possibly be leaking past the compressor side on the charger and flowing in to the intake. Was it making any boost pressure on the drive home. Usually the turbo is completely junk when they start putting a bunch of oil in the intake piping.
Education is the best defense against the media.

treeslayer2003

i couldn't feel any play. no boost gauge.

starmac

Sounds like the turbo. How much blowby is coming out of the blowby tube, scrap that, if the engine itself was usingthat much oil, it would have a steady stream of oil spitting out of the blowby tube.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

ohiowoodchuck

Unhook the piping at the compressor cover on the turbo and start it and see if it leaking out there.

treeslayer2003

Quote from: starmac on July 07, 2016, 01:21:12 AM
Sounds like the turbo. How much blowby is coming out of the blowby tube, scrap that, if the engine itself was usingthat much oil, it would have a steady stream of oil spitting out of the blowby tube.
none at all.
did i mention the breather was stopped up?

North River Energy

Not familiar with the Cummins, but on the smaller Garrett turbos, the trend was for the seal to go on the hot side, (not the cold side), and it was common to see oil leaking around the flanges shortly after start-up, followed by the 'big fog' on acceleration.
Spoo in the intake pipe is probably just accumulated vapor from 'normal' crankcase venting.

treeslayer2003

Quote from: North River Energy on July 07, 2016, 09:59:58 AM
Not familiar with the Cummins, but on the smaller Garrett turbos, the trend was for the seal to go on the hot side, (not the cold side), and it was common to see oil leaking around the flanges shortly after start-up, followed by the 'big fog' on acceleration.
Spoo in the intake pipe is probably just accumulated vapor from 'normal' crankcase venting.
nah, at least a quart of oil came out. i can't figure how else it could get there.

Maine logger88

Have you checked your crank vent to make sure it's not plugged I've heard of that making them do weird things like not allowing oils to drain out of the turbo.
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

treeslayer2003

Quote from: Maine logger88 on July 07, 2016, 10:54:55 AM
Have you checked your crank vent to make sure it's not plugged I've heard of that making them do weird things like not allowing oils to drain out of the turbo.
yeah, i thought it was fine but really the way it was smokin i couldn't tell. i need to check that out closer.
really tho the way the filter was plugged, i wonder now if the turbo needs replaced or simply a clean/new filter and piping would cure this.
i am skeptical as to the turbo not needing replaced.

ohiowoodchuck

Quote from: treeslayer2003 on July 07, 2016, 09:39:25 AM
Quote from: starmac on July 07, 2016, 01:21:12 AM
none at all.
did i mention the breather was stopped up?
if the engine breather is plugged it will push oil out of every seal and gasket there is from the build up of crankcase pressure

kiko

If the suction becomes great enough it will suck the oil through the turbo seals.  I have encounter this before in one case the turbo had already been replaced and did not correct this issue, cleaned piping and replaced inner and outer and it was good to go.   On the other just clean the piping ,inner and outer and it was fine .  Make sure there is not a large amount of oil in the intake as well because once you clear the intake restriction , the boost can push that oil into the cylinders and away she goes.  You will know by the pitch and speed of the engine when it is time to run.

treeslayer2003

Quote from: kiko on July 07, 2016, 10:53:00 PM
If the suction becomes great enough it will suck the oil through the turbo seals.  I have encounter this before in one case the turbo had already been replaced and did not correct this issue, cleaned piping and replaced inner and outer and it was good to go.   On the other just clean the piping ,inner and outer and it was fine .  Make sure there is not a large amount of oil in the intake as well because once you clear the intake restriction , the boost can push that oil into the cylinders and away she goes.  You will know by the pitch and speed of the engine when it is time to run.
this^^^ i am afraid to start it now. is there a way to get the oil out of the cooler? or do i have to take it off and clean it?
also, are you saying i may not need a new blower?

kiko

The seals in the turbo are steel ring type so they may be alright.  If you chance not cleaning the cooler and intake, you need to preengineer a air shut off method to snuff it out,  like the trip flap does on a Detroit.  The filter hosing can't used as snuff point. 

HiTech

I have seen turbo's go bad and the smoke is really bad. Sometimes the engine will not shut off as it is running on the engine oil. To use that much oil in 4 miles you would see it on the road if it was leaking out. I would say the engine is burning it and the turbo is probably the source.

treeslayer2003

Quote from: HiTech on July 08, 2016, 04:55:10 AM
I have seen turbo's go bad and the smoke is really bad. Sometimes the engine will not shut off as it is running on the engine oil. To use that much oil in 4 miles you would see it on the road if it was leaking out. I would say the engine is burning it and the turbo is probably the source.
oil was coming out of an exhaust leak. i think the reson it didn't run away was the clogged air filter.
i guess i will begin removing the cooler.

ohiowoodchuck

Remove it and tilt it one way so the oil will run out and after you reinstall it, leave the intake off the motor and keep a good thick piece of wood that will fit over the intake. If she starts to run away you can use the board to choke it out. The heat and air from the turbo will blow the rest out and you don't have to worry about oil feeding the engine causing a runaway. Just keep something handy incase it tries to. Shop rags and cardboard won't work. I've seen them get sucked right in on a runaway before.

Gearbox

I think the big cam engines used a water to air cooler in the manifold not a air to air . If so fix the turbo and crank it up . no air to air to clean .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

treeslayer2003

Quote from: Gearbox on July 08, 2016, 09:43:46 AM
I think the big cam engines used a water to air cooler in the manifold not a air to air . If so fix the turbo and crank it up . no air to air to clean .
yes sir, water after cooler, not air to air.

starmac

No air to air, but I think the intercooler can hold quite a bit of oil.  Leave the intake pipe off the turbo crank it and let it run a while, it may take 30 minutes before it warms enough for oil vapors to start her to revving. Be close around with a sguare of plywood or something similar to close off the turbo intake. It is not a big deal. I actually have a cap for the turbo oil line and crank them and run them a while wiith out the turbo even on the motor, just have to close off the intake that way.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Thank You Sponsors!