iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My homebrew mill

Started by edsaws, November 07, 2004, 12:00:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swede

Ed;
I´m a little worried about them 55gal. barrels made of very thin material! ::)
Think You´ve better not use Monkeyblades on that sawmill......... ;D :D :D :D  ;)

Have You broken any blade yet? Dit it stay on place or did it run away to next county? I had to rebuild my cover, it vas open all way under the free wheel and even under the return part of the blade.

Swede. *bladebreaker* ::)
Had a mobile band sawmill, All hydraulics  for logs 30\"x19´, remote control. (sold it 2009-04-13)
Monkey Blades.Sold them too)
Jonsered 535/15\". Just cut firewood now.

edsaws

Swede I haven't had the joy of breaking a blade yet but I think the 55gal drum guards should be ok. They're pretty heavy and not open on the bottom. I may add some more guarding inbetween the barrels.The last thing I want or need is that blade wippin' around. It does have brakes though  ;D and can be stopped as fast as I can pull the lever.

Al_Smith

Nice job on the mill,fact is ,I'm building one myself,as we speak.Nice to see another tinkerers creativity.

Fla._Deadheader

Where's the SEAT ???  THAT would be an awesome view. ;) :D ;D  Nice job, Ed
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

edsaws

A Seat I never thought of that  ???. Now I'll have to do me some more brain stormin' to figure out how mount it and make it push the mill through the log and back again  ;D ;D. Might even have to upgrade to a tractor mower mill  8).

markct

thats a nice little mill ya made there, i am in the proccess of buidling a bandsaw mill also, i am using bandwheels i made outa mag wheels that i got from the junkyard, narrowed them up with a skilsaw and a some time in the gap bed lathe i improvised and they look great, for the idler end of the saw frame i am using a hub from the back of a front wheel drive car, its perfect since it has the bearings and little stub spindle all there, and best of all it was free from a car outback, just took my gas powered sawzall out and sawed it off

CoolTimbers

Very nice work.  Please be carefull!

Haytrader

Welcome aboard,

CoolTimbers
markct

I see this was both of ya'alls first post.
Glad you guys joined the group and look forward to gettin to know ya.
Haytrader

Fla._Deadheader

Looks like we got us another Machinist amongst us. Boy, is HE in for a ton of questions. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Welcome to the Forum, guys.
   First, it is ridiculed;

markct

yea i work as a machinist doing plant maintenace and i also have a machine shop at home, well not realy a machine shop, just machines amongst piles of junk! i have a 10 inch logan lathe and a cincinatti horizontal mill that has a bridgeport verticle head on the overarm, most light work i use the verticle head but some heavy drilling and face milling i use the big horizontal spindle for, and best of all it makes a good makeshift gap bed lathe for large dia stuff like bandwheels, i made mine with it, i held them in a 4 jaw chuck that i adapted to fit the spindle. nothing high tech just alot of imagination. and then of course i have the usual welder,bandsaw,torches and all sortsa other tools. got a nice big lincoln 500 amp ac/dc welder, that i bought for a hundred bucks when i was 13, it had the amperage adjustment frozen up but some time with penetrating oil and a special wrench to reach in and turn the screw freed it up and it works great now

Fla._Deadheader

Markct, don't know if yer aware, but, WE LIKE PICS. Specially ones with home made parts and sawmills and, and, and  ;D ;D ;D ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Swede

Welcome markct! :D Nothing is wrong with old heavy machines in a workshop. I don´t like them new light weight made in (Chineese) aluminium and never let them inside my doors. A mobile band sawmill is not the same, when you need to move it offhooked from the car.

As most of you know my sawmill was manual when i got it in August -2003 but it´s full of hydraulic stuff now. Was at the local car junkyard today. Need better tires for Amerika-Sågen, think Opel 14" 4-bolt will fit. Also need something to controle gas and choke by electricity. Found that electric door lock, also  from Opel have enough stroke, ~1".  Didn´t buy any, think I can get a whole wreck for the money they wanted.

Nothing like a homebrew sawmill and mine is close to now.  ;D Want the engine in idle mode always exept when loading and sawing. Have everything but need 36´ cable with 11 leaders.........and an old Opel Record now.

Swede.
Had a mobile band sawmill, All hydraulics  for logs 30\"x19´, remote control. (sold it 2009-04-13)
Monkey Blades.Sold them too)
Jonsered 535/15\". Just cut firewood now.

Al_Smith

Speaking of pictures,they aren't real easy to down load on this site,as compared with others.I am also a machinest,but not by trade.The end results are the same,just takes me longer.I have a few machines.Monarch 10"EE,Bridgeport model m,Boyes and Emmes 20 by 48 engine lathe,Cincinati-Fosdick 24" drill press with x-y axis table[huge],and the assorted welders,torches,and the other 5 tons of stuff that it takes.Now,about the mill.I also am going to use the tires,spindles,etc. from a little car[ Ford EXP] for my band wheels.I should have enough power,using a 34 Hp Wisconsin,but don't know if I can get enough tension to run the 20.5 ft bands,I plan on using[attemting 48"cut]I plan on power feed,semi auto set,power loader/turner.It will take me all winter,but that's what tikerers do .Oh,yes,and a "board dragger",for want of a better word.This Ohio oak,is heavy. ;D

edsaws

Welcome CoolTimbers, markct. If theres anything you need to know about building a mill or any milling forestry  ? you've come to the right place. The people here are always more than happy to help. I don't think I would have got my mill up and running yet without their help. And yes we like them pics

Fla._Deadheader

Loading pics on here is easier than eatin Pasties. :o ;D ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

D._Frederick

Al,

I don't think that you will have very good luck trying to cut 48 inches with a narrow band, they just don't have enough beam strength and the gullet size is too small. A swage tooth saw would be a better choice in a 3 or 4 inch width.

Al_Smith

You are probabley right.It would be a rarity to find that large of log in these parts any way.

Thank You Sponsors!