iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My homebrew mill

Started by edsaws, November 07, 2004, 12:00:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

edsaws

heres a few pics of my mill, I need a new drive chain so it'll be a few days before I make any dust :(.

Tom

AH!  Yes!   .......and a familiar "homey" green too. :D

T_in_SC

Nice job.  I like the way you made the guides.

rvrdivr

Nice work Edsaws.
Tell us, how does it raise and lower? also how wide a log can you cut?
Looks good!

rbarshaw

Fine lookin mill, Probably the best use of 55 gal. barrel tops i've ever seen. I always enjoy seeing a fellow scroungers mill!
Been doing so much with so little for so long I can now do anything with nothing, except help from y'all!
By the way rbarshaw is short for Robert Barshaw.
My Second Mill Is Shopbuilt 64HP,37" wheels, still a work in progress.

Swede

........."Probably the best use of 55 gal. barrel tops i've ever seen..........."  :D :D :D

Think it´s the best use of everything but most of all the green details.  :)

Swede.
Had a mobile band sawmill, All hydraulics  for logs 30\"x19´, remote control. (sold it 2009-04-13)
Monkey Blades.Sold them too)
Jonsered 535/15\". Just cut firewood now.

DanG

Good job, Edsaws! 8)  When Barshaw noticed the barrel heads, I got to looking closer. Looks like you might have adapted some other existing parts to your use, too. I'd love to hear what some of the parts started out as. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Murf

Yeah, come Ed, spit it out, we want details..... :P

Like how did you swap the drive around so that a vertical shaft motor pins the blade for you.

Mostly cause I've got an almost new vertical shaft donor motor, besides, my Dad's gettin' too old to cut his own grass anyways, so he won't need it much longer....  :D
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

edsaws

Well its basicly a rear engine riding mower. I changed the pulley's under the mower frame to crank up the sfpm. I think its around 5500sfpm right now. I could slow it down by using a smaller pulley on the motor. Its using the stock transmission from the mower with a different pulley also. I had to order a part today, the drive sprocket on the tranny was shot. Local john deere parts guy told me $89 and change for a new one, told him to keep it. Got one from Mcmaster-Carr $7.00.
To raise the carraige I got one of those boat winches from harbor freight. The 55gal drum covers fit perfect over the trailer tires. It was origanally going to cut a 36" log by 9' but the way the engine sits on the frame I only got about 29" of lift.  

edsaws

Yah whoooo!!!! Made me some sawdust today. I can't believe it it actually works. After a few trial runs to work out a few kinks here and there I got my 1st boards cut. Heres a couple of pics.

I still need to improve the dog system. I'm going to have to remove it and fix a few stupid mistakes I made when I installed it last year. Oh well I'm goin' to have me a few cold ones to celebrate.

Swede

Very cool Ed!  :) Have been waiting for them boards some days now.

I´ve been lookin at Your pictures for almost 15 min. now trying to understand how  that green thing with yellow drums can cut a log into boards.   :D :D :D I love them pictures!

What´s her name?  ;)

Swede.
Had a mobile band sawmill, All hydraulics  for logs 30\"x19´, remote control. (sold it 2009-04-13)
Monkey Blades.Sold them too)
Jonsered 535/15\". Just cut firewood now.

DanG

Ditto on that YEHAWW, Ed! 8) 8) 8)  I'm havin' a cold one with ya. ;D  Right purty lookin' boards for a first run. Bet you was disappointed when you ran out of log, huh? :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Haytrader

edsaws,

Sent ya an email with a pic showin a dog system that works great and is simple.
Haytrader

RacinRex

Simply put.... WOW!!!

Very cool man, I'm a little late but I'll crack a cold on in your honor, in exactly three hours twenty minutes and 44 seconds... because I'll be out of work :-)
81 Massey Ferguson 275 W/ loader
Stihl 046
Simplicity Bandmill
04 Dodge 2500 4x4 Quad Cab CTD
A whole shop full of wood working tools
and this is my hobby :)

T_in_SC

Great job EdSaws,  Thats a much better use of that engine than mowing grass. :D

customsawyer

Beutimas. :D :D :D
I love to see a man that can come up with a new reason to open a cold one. ;D
By the way RacinRex is there any job openings where you work I would like to get a job that I could be on the forum and get paid for it. :D :D :D :D :D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

jpad_mi

Jeff P. in Michigan

rbarshaw

Great job  8) Now instead of a race'in lawnmower, you've got a race'in logmower ;D ;D ;D
Been doing so much with so little for so long I can now do anything with nothing, except help from y'all!
By the way rbarshaw is short for Robert Barshaw.
My Second Mill Is Shopbuilt 64HP,37" wheels, still a work in progress.

Fla._Deadheader

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

mhasel

Very cool and nice looking job there, now if you could only get JD to warrantee the trans for ya:) There is no substitute for an imagination and a welder!!

Mike

Ed_K

Wahooo, that sure is a nice feeling, when you get that first board  8).
Ed K

karl

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
"I ask for wisdom and strength, Not to be superior to my brothers, but to be able to fight my greatest enemy, myself"  - from Ojibwa Prayer.

RacinRex

QuoteBeutimas. :D :D :D
I love to see a man that can come up with a new reason to open a cold one. ;D
By the way RacinRex is there any job openings where you work I would like to get a job that I could be on the forum and get paid for it. :D :D :D :D :D

I'm on this computer all day and half the night sometimes. If I didn't have this forum and the link it gives me to the outdoors... I'd be the one who flew over the coocoo nest.

logmower?!?!?!?!  :D :D :D :D 8)

Hilarious
81 Massey Ferguson 275 W/ loader
Stihl 046
Simplicity Bandmill
04 Dodge 2500 4x4 Quad Cab CTD
A whole shop full of wood working tools
and this is my hobby :)

fstedy

;D ::) :D GREAT JOB it certainly should give you a feeling of a job well done. Congratulations on the completion of your project  :D ::) ;D
Timberking B-20   Retired and enjoying every minute of it.
Former occupations Electrical Lineman, Airline Pilot, Owner operator of Machine Shop, Slot Machine Technician and Sawmill Operator.
I know its a long story!!!

Gilman

Thanks for sharing Ed. That must of been exciting getting that first board off.
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Thank You Sponsors!