iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Can't find a hot water filter housing with enough GPM

Started by LegendsCreekFarm, July 05, 2016, 03:26:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LegendsCreekFarm

I have another question as I am trying to buy everything I need to finish my boiler install.

I can't find a hot water filter that is rated above 160 F, and that has decent flow.  The highest one I saw said it had 8 gpm flow and i don't believe that will be enough for my install.

Does anyone have any details about an appropriate filter housing?

LittleJohn

Have you looked at a Wye-strainer? 

Cause in my experience that is all you need, before you install a Heat Exchanger to keep the flakes and stuff out of the plates

LegendsCreekFarm

Wow.  I just looked one up. I believe I have some familiarity with these.  I am looking at this one http://www.supplyhouse.com/Watts-0220075-1-77SI-Cast-Iron-Wye-Strainer-Threaded-5117000-p   I am guessing you open the nut on it and there is a mesh filter inside?  Is that correct?   Does this inhibit flow much?

Thanks!

hedgerow

I run four different flat plate exchanger on my Garn and one on the hot water heater and that is all I run is Y strainers ahead of the inlets. I run my Garn year around to heat my hot water. I usually try to clean all five strainers in the Fall before the big heating season starts. I have run the system nine years and haven't had to clean a heat exchanger yet.

LAZERDAN

Wye strainer is the ticket, but get a brass one.      Lazerdan

r.man

You are correct, the screen is inside and you can put a valve on the small threaded hole to blow debris out. Eventually the screen will clog in a way that requires removal and descaling. While the screen is clean flow will not be overly compromised.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

LegendsCreekFarm

Excellent! You guys saved me a ton of $$ and aggravation.  I ordered the wye's last night.  Thank you!

Thank You Sponsors!