iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Norwood hydraulics, gas or electric drive for the pump

Started by Rickcnc, July 04, 2016, 10:22:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rickcnc

Looking at adding hydraulics to my HD36... Which power system would you go with, Gas, or Electric.. They offer both, at the same price.. If you chose Gas, you're running a second gas motor.. If you choose electric, the kit includes an alternator you can add your existing engine.  It's my understanding from talking to the sales rep electric out sells gas, however gas may have slightly more power..

Rougespear

If you're okay with the battery and charging system, I'd say go with electric.  Just remember you'll need to get the 12vdc from the carriage down to the sawdeck somehow (I'm not sure how Norwood does it).  I've also read the battery will take a beating and needs replacement "more frequently" (not sure what the interval is).  I put a 7hp gasser pump on my mill because the engines are sooooo cheap (and decent quality), and I can drive a pump with much more flow and pressure than "feasible" with an electric pump.

YMMV.
Custom built Cook's-style hydraulic bandmill.

Tom the Sawyer

First, I don't own a Norwood but, do have a relevant opinion.  My mill is a Timberking B-20 and it was designed with two engines, a 6.5 hp mounted in the frame which runs the hydraulic pump, and a 30 hp Kohler which runs the blade. 

My hydraulic engine probably has 2-3 times as many hours as the blade engine.  It runs most of the day (about 4 hours on a fill) and I have hydraulic power for loading, turning, clamping, etc. without wasting the fuel that a 30 hp engine would use while doing those functions.  My big engine only runs when I am milling.  It is also a simpler design, no hydraulic lines running to or from a moving saw head. 

Although I haven't had to make repairs to either engine, if the engine with the most hours fails, it'll be a lot cheaper to replace a 6.5 hp than a 30.  The battery on my B-20 starts the 30 hp engine, powers the setworks, and drives a 12v gear motor that raises and lowers the head.  It has been replaced only once in the 7 years I have owned my mill (it isn't hard on batteries).
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

ladylake

Another vote for gas which has been real reliable, one reason I bought the mill I did.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

pineywoods

Rick, there is a third option, if you are a fixed location and have electric power available. Use  2 or 3 hp electric motor to drive the pump. Hydraulics at the flick of a switch without the hassle of bigger alternator and batteries. Just about maintenance free to boot.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Rickcnc

Thanks for the input.. I'm going to go with gas and placed the order with Norwood today.  I'm only adding the Hydraulic log loader and toe boards for now,.... OH.... and the power up down for the saw head. 

dboyt

I'm jumping in a bit late, but I was going to recommend the gas option.  I've seen both, and it looks a lot more robust.  I'll be adding one to my mill one of these days.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Bandmill Bandit

While both are good options a Gas driven hydraulic pump will give you a lot more modification and expansion options. Just make sure you go with a larger hydraulic system than is required for the mill alone.

Also IF you are stationary AND have access to 220AC then an AC electric hydraulic system would out shine both of the other options.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Thank You Sponsors!