iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dead hydraulic pump?

Started by GDinMaine, July 04, 2016, 07:50:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GDinMaine

I was sawing all day Sunday and a couple hours before I got done, the hydraulic functions went really slow.  As I was packing up the mill I noticed hydraulic fluid dripping from the bottom of the box with the levers.  I took a look today and it seems like one of the pumps is not working. Fluid leaks from the breather cover on the top of non-working unit, when I operate the hydraulic functions.

To check the solenoids, I took the wire off the non-working pump, and switched the wires to the solenoid of the one that works. The pump just made a click with both. That's it.

There is only 1300 hrs on my LT-40 Super.
Can you guys tell me if these are rebuildable or I have to buy a whole new unit?
Thank you.
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

terrifictimbersllc

It's an electric motor. Yes it's rebuildable.  Remove the electric motor from the hydraulic pump unit. You don't have to take the whole thing out of the box just take off the electric motor unscrewing the two long bolts. Start by having a look at the brushes. If you're in a hurry, order a new complete motor, so that when this is fixed you can have a back up.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Percy

I have a very similarly equipped mill(2003LT70). At about 1500 hours , one of my hydraulic motors died.I fixed it with brushes and the second one died about 200 hours later. >:( >:(  About 600 hours later, I had the same problem. I called SAlmon Arm WM and Gary or Marv, cant remember which, informed me there was a change to a different type/brand/whatever, of motor. I got two of them sent to me and havnt had a problem since(nearly 10,000 hours). Talk to your WM guy and ask about this. It was about 9 years ago so..........my memory is sketchy....
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

GDinMaine

Thanks gents. My mill was built in 2000 and it sports Monarch pumps, but I have not looked at the motor manufacturer. I will continue with the exploration in the morning.  Based on Percy's experience I will pull both motors and have them both rebuilt. This is all contingent upon Wood-Mizer still selling the brush kits for the motors.

WM LT-40HD-D42

woodyone.john

I had a brush problem on my 2001 40 super.I got a brush company here to make up some new brushes [8 I think],was a bit pricey,maybe nz$15 each but way cheaper than importing 2 new pumps.Hope this helps,cheers john
Saw millers are just carpenters with bigger bits of wood

MartyParsons

Hello,
  Wood Mizer does not have these brush kits available for the Monarch motors in 2000. These motors were manufactured by prestolite. Most starter alternator shops can rebuild these motors with zero issues.
Wood Mizer does offer Iskra motor kits and they do have these motor brush kits available. The new motor manufacture is Iskra. These motors have a aluminum end cap and a steel center. The Monarch motor has a steel end cap.
I have a post in archives that have pictures and info about this.

Hope this helps.

Below is a picture of the Iskra motor.

Marty

"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

GDinMaine

Thank you for the info Marty. I took a look and the motors. They were made for Monarch and they do have steel end caps. Do the replacement motors bolt right up to the Monarch pumps?

I will first try to find a shop that can make new brushes, but we are in a small town, so I don't hold out too much hope.  I feel my belt tightening already.

WM LT-40HD-D42

pineywoods

For you guys needing brushes that you can't get from the manufacturer or find locally, here's a source that probably has them.. I have done a bit of business with www.eurton.com for brushes for golf carts, wheel chairs and scooters. Their web site lists brushes by dimension as well as application. They even supplied brushes for an oddball wound rotor 220 volt AC motor on my pineywoods hydraulic system..If they can't supply an exact size, real easy to order oversize and file them down to fit..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

mburrow

MartyParsons

Hello,
   Yes the Iskra motor bolts to the existing pump. You will need to add a ground wire to the end cap which comes with the motor kit.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

GDinMaine

Thank you for the help and suggestions. I went ahead and ordered new motors from Wood-Mizer.
New brushes would have been about a third of the price, but who knows how long it would take to find replacements, plus the time and cost of the motors rebuilt and so on. This way I will be sawing in three days.

I have taken a few pictures of the process that I will post for the benefit of others, who might deal with the same replacement / repair.

WM LT-40HD-D42

woodmills1

James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Thank You Sponsors!