iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Worked it out...

Started by 78NHTFY, July 03, 2016, 09:39:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

78NHTFY

The electric co. subbed out line clearing to a co. that came in and started cutting back 40 yrs of growth on lines passing through my land.  Just so happens they cut back 30' on one side in an area my Dad and I had planted black walnuts--where we were sure they would be safe, since they normally only cut back 15'.  Long story short: they cut down the walnuts which had just reached 12" in diameter.  I was pretty upset/emotional, given Dad's been gone 17 years and these trees were a great reminder of what we'd done together. Anyway, they are good guys and they came around and offered a full day of 3 guys & their machinery.  The result was them taking down some very dangerous trees around the house: dead birch and ash.  Here are the pics.

.  Plus their Timberjack looks pretty good parked in my yard :laugh: 

.  All the best, Rob.
If you have time, you win....

BargeMonkey

Good to hear they made it right and helped you out. Most of the line clearing company's around here do a hack job and have no regard for anything or anyone.

sawguy21

My sister had something similar happen. She had asked the company to trim back a large maple that was encroaching on the house and thought the instructions were quite clear. She returned home from mom's funeral to a large bare trunk and a note inquiring why she wanted it left. I am sure glad I wasn't the company manager, his ears are likely still ringing twelve years later.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

cutterboy

I'm glad they helped you out after making a mistake, and I do think it was a mistake on their part to cut the walnut trees. They may have realized it could have been costly for them if you decided to take them to court. Walnuts are valuable.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Ox

I know what happened.  Your Dad knew you needed help with those problem trees and he saw to it that you got help the only way he could.  Good man.  I'm glad to see it worked out this way.  You still have at least one of the trees you and him planted, right?  It'll grow straight and tall.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

WV Sawmiller

Sorry about your lost walnut trees. 

We had clearing company 5-6 years ago who made a grand mess of everything, left limbs and tops on my fences, etc. About 4 years ago they came through and I jumped on them right at the start and that crew were as good and professional as anyone could ever hope for. They cut a basswood and walnut and some locusts and cut all just as I asked. I told them they could bring their grinder trucks in the field instead of hauling the wood to the rig. They said was too wet to take the chip trailer in to haul out the chips. I told them no problem for me to just scatter the chips in the pasture and they'd rot down. They were happy with that and worked fine for me to. If all would work like that crew people would be glad to work with them.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Corley5

We had issues with a company doing herbicide work for the power co. on the line ROWs.  One year they used what I think was Tordon or something similar and it killed trees outside the ROWs all over the area.  This was after I gave them permission to use chemicals.  They have to ask permission to use them on private property.  A few years later they asked again and after assurances that they were now using glyphosate and only spot spraying I gave them permission again.  Instead of spot spraying the woody plants they sprayed the whole ROW from the road to my house killing everything including the grass  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(  A couple years ago they asked permission to do it again and I in no uncertain terms told them NO with an explanation.  Mechanical or hand control is all they'll ever be allowed to use here and I told them to put that in their file.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

timberlinetree

Reminds me of the good old days running the bucket skidders. Sorry about your trees,glad it worked out.
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

78NHTFY

Thanks guys--good comments all.  Reminds me of the 80/20 rule--80% of the line guys do their job the way it should be done; the other 20% need to be watched in case they go astray.  I was watching, but not carefully enough.... And then, when it came to making it right, 80% of them will do it (if you both address the issue in a professional/courteous way).  Lot less stress than shouting, hollering, going to court...(don't get me wrong, it took me some self-control to not go there  smiley_furious3).  Meanwhile, I just picked up 4 x 16' WP they left for me and which are now sitting on my log deck ;D.  All the best, Rob.
If you have time, you win....

Thank You Sponsors!